Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:51:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Schilling has strong debut.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Schilling has strong debut.  (Read 2822 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: March 03, 2006, 04:15:15 pm »

File this under the "it's early" files - but Curt Schilling threw four scoreless innings today.  In four innings he threw 35 pitches, gave up one hit and struck out three.  Schill retired the last 10 batters in a row that he faced following the base hit.  His fastball topped out at 96 MPH and had some pretty nasty movement on it...IE the typical Schill fastball.

For all the Josh Beckett talk, Boston's success this year will be hinged on Schill getting back to form.  Today was a very solid step in that direction.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 04:17:56 pm »

File this under the "it's early" files - but Curt Schilling threw four scoreless innings today.  In four innings he threw 35 pitches, gave up one hit and struck out three.  Schill retired the last 10 batters in a row that he faced following the base hit.  His fastball topped out at 96 MPH and had some pretty nasty movement on it...IE the typical Schill fastball.

For all the Josh Beckett talk, Boston's success this year will be hinged on Schill getting back to form.  Today was a very solid step in that direction.

Absolutely correct.  In the AL, veteran pitchers tend to dominate more than young ones.  Schilling can mentor Beckett by letting his performance on the mound speak for itself. 
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 06:36:45 pm »

maine, i know this is a little off topic but what did you think of halladay's and burnett's first start.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 11:58:31 pm »

I posted something about it, actually.  Doc looked sharp - and against three pretty good bats.  He needed 7 pitches to sit down three hitters.  Burnett struggled, allowing a couple runs (including a home run that hasn't landed yet) and needed 19 pitches to get three guys out.  The guys AJ faced were all AA and AAA players.

So - like Schill - it's WAY too early to get amped one way or the other...except when you are talking about Curt and Doc, they're both coming off injury.  It was good to see Doc's fastball right where it should be, same thing with Schilling.

-Voltaire
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:15:06 am »

I posted something about it, actually.  Doc looked sharp - and against three pretty good bats.  He needed 7 pitches to sit down three hitters.  Burnett struggled, allowing a couple runs (including a home run that hasn't landed yet) and needed 19 pitches to get three guys out.  The guys AJ faced were all AA and AAA players.

i was talking about there first spring training game
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:22:28 am »

You mean Burnett against Team Canada?  I didn't find it "dazzling" (as the Toronto press stated), but it was okay.  42 pitches in two innings is a lot - and only 27 of those were for strikes (just over half).  I liked how he worked himself out of a jam without allowing a run, but the fact that he loaded the bases in the first place wasn't great.   

I thought it was an okay outing - not bad at all.  But, like I said, I'm not gooing all over myself about it like the Jays press release is.

And - like everything you'll hear me say about anyone right now - it's really way too early to make a judgement. 

-Voltaire
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray