Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:51:32 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  You're the GM- Houston Texans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: You're the GM- Houston Texans  (Read 3711 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: March 03, 2006, 09:00:46 pm »

Well howdy pardner!!  Welcome to the Lone Star State of Texas!!  You dun just been hired as GM of the Houston Texans, and I do declare, you got a mighty big job ahead of you.  Turning this team around will be like tryin to eat a Texas sized steak on your lunch break. 

For starters, your team has been struggling to climb out of the cellar every year.  Playoffs??  At this point, it would be considered a success just finishing at or above .500.  You've just hired a coach who was a longtime offensive coordinator, but has had almost no head coaching experience.  His staff is just as green as he is. 

You have a capable QB, who you have just committed to moneywise.  He has taken a beating over the past four years, but has more than held his own and can definitely flourish with proper protection.    You also have a stud WR with a pair of sure-handed ones to go with him.  That's about all the good things you have on offense.  Your offensive line resembles swiss cheese..... too many holes.  They have not only given up the most sacks in NFL history in a four-year span, but they also have a lot to do with the failure of your running game.  Your starting RB is average at best, but it remains to be seen if he will be better behind a better offensive line.   Your defense is as mediocre as your running back, and cannot be counted on to keep you in games.  You have a capable lockdown corner, and not much else. 

What do you do here?  How can you turn this bunch around, and keep your job from blowing away like tumbleweed?
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:08:23 pm »

I don't know what I would do, but it could very well involve David Carr and / or Reggie Bush, and possibly, an undisclosed trade of some sort.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »

I don't know what I would do, but it could very well involve David Carr and / or Reggie Bush, and possibly, an undisclosed trade of some sort.

I know, I know, I know........ trade David Carr and the top pick for compensatory picks!!!!!

Seriously, I heard Brian wanted to trade away Peyton Manning.  I'll tell ya.... if I could see down the road and find myself ending up like the Cowboys after the Herschel Walker deal, I would do it. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:58:05 am »

Houston should cut all the crap looking for a QB and draft Reggie Bush.  ...keep David Carr on.   Work to improve your O-line over time.  Houston is in bad shape, but their road to recovery seems pretty straightforward.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:45:05 am »

Houston should cut all the crap looking for a QB and draft Reggie Bush.  ...keep David Carr on.   Work to improve your O-line over time.  Houston is in bad shape, but their road to recovery seems pretty straightforward.

If their offensive line is so bad, don't you think they should trade down a few spots to draft some O-Line help.... like say D'Brickashaw Ferguson?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 01:26:37 pm »

If their offensive line is so bad, don't you think they should trade down a few spots to draft some O-Line help.... like say D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

No way.  I think that Reggie Bush is a special kind of player that only comes along once every few years.  I don't know much about college football, but from what I've watched of Bush, he seems to have the stuff.  An O-line is a team that has to work together and gel together....so having ONE awesome lineman doesn't mean as much if their is another weakness to be exposed.  Bush, I think, we be an anchor to build around, and will make David Carr better.

I drink your milkshake!
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 02:13:28 pm »

Here's a few scenarios they talked about his week on NFL Radio.

Scenario #1- They trade down to #3 with the Titans, also acquiring additional picks. The Titans want to make this trade, so they have the choice of which QB to take. They do not want to be at the mercy of the Saints pick- being left with whichever QB the Saints pass on. Regardless of whether they take Leinart or Young at #1, the Saints will take the other QB at #2. The Texans will still have the chance to grab Bush at #3, and get to pay him less money.

Scenario #2- They trade down to #4 with the Jets. They get Donnie Abraham as part of this deal. The Jets at #1 would most likely draft Leinart. At #2, the Saints will take Young. At #3, the Titans will take Cutler. Once again, the Texans are in a good position to still get Bush, and pay him less money. Even if one of the three teams ahead of them trade out with another team who selects Bush, the Texans get the chance to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 10:50:16 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »

Scenario #1- They trade down to #3 with the Titans, also acquiring additional picks. The Titans want to make this trade, so they have the choice of which QB to take. They do not want to be at the mercy of the Saints pick- being left with whichever WB the Saints pass on. Regardless of whether they take Leinart or Young at #1, the Saints will take the other QB at #2. The Texans will still have the chance to grab Bush at #3, and get to pay him less money.

Scenario #2- They trade down to #4 with the Jets. They get Donnie Abraham as part of this deal. The Jets at #1 would most likely draft Leinart. At #2, the Saints will take Young. At #3, the Titans will take Cutler. Once again, the Texans are in a good position to still get Bush, and pay him less money. Even if one of the three teams ahead of them trade out with another team who selects Bush, the Texans get the chance to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Excellent observations.  I've seen that happen several times over the years.  The key is, you fake interest in a guy the team behind you wants, then trade down.  Sorta like a move Minnesota put on us in 2004.  Spielman gave up a 4th round pick to move up one spot. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 04:58:38 pm »

Scenario #1- They trade down to #3 with the Titans, also acquiring additional picks. The Titans want to make this trade, so they have the choice of which QB to take.

This would be a great move for Houston if it were true...to move down and still get Bush.  ...but what keeps the Titans from getting Bush?  I think that he'd be a great asset to their team.

I drink your milkshake!
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »

but what keeps the Titans from getting Bush?  I think that he'd be a great asset to their team.

Because the Titans really want Leinart. Thats why they want to trade up, so they can grab him before New Orleans does.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
NYFin
Uber Member

Now in D.C.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 01:41:17 pm »

A few options for the Texans.

#1.  Draft Reggie Bush in the 1st.  Get Eric Winston or Marcus McNeil with their 2nd round pick.

#2.  Try and trade the pick to Jets in exchange for John Abraham, 1.4 and extra picks.  Heh.  Don't know if it would ever happen, but it'd be cool for the Texans.  Then

#2a.  Draft Ferguson in the 1st and get best available in the 2nd.
#2b.  Draft Mario Williams to pair with John Abraham and have an absolutely fearsome pass rush.  Get a left tackle in second round.

Which is best?  Eh, I don't think the Jets will actually make the trade and that no one else will be good enough with their offers.  The Bush hype has died down a bit.  I have enough faith in getting Winston or McNeil in the 2nd that I get the "special player" in Bush with the 1st pick.  Overhyped?  Almost certainly.  Still really appealing? Yeah.  At any rate, I don't know the cap consequences of trading Domanick Davis, but they should explore his trade value and also keep an eye out for a powerful running back (Najeh Davenport in free agency?) to pair with Bush.  I don't see Bush being able to carry the kind of load that LaDainian Tomlinson can.  He's best with a LenDale White to take some of the beating off of him.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray