Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:07:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Pharmacy Phun?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Pharmacy Phun?  (Read 4759 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: March 08, 2006, 05:28:20 pm »

Hey, Fau. You worked there didn't you? Anything like this happen while you were there?  Hmmmm

Here's the intro. Link at the bottom:

For years, Janey Karp has battled depression and anxiety with the help of prescription drugs. Though millions of Americans do the same, Karp admits she is intensely private and can't help but feel stigmatized for needing medication to feel normal.

So when the 53-year-old Palm Beach resident read the Walgreens printout attached to her prescription last week for the sleep aid Ambien, she couldn't believe her eyes. Typed in a field reserved for patient information and dated March 17, 2005, was "CrAzY!!" In another field, dated Sept. 30, 2004, it read: "She's really a psycho!!! Do not say her name too loud, never mention her meds by names & try to talk to her when ... " The information continued onto another page but was not attached.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-pwalgreens08mar08,0,7108212.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:36:07 pm »

This is definitely jacked up, and I would do the exact same thing as her.

But man, what is she like 4 years old??  "Oh Mommy, they called me a bad name!! WAAAA!!!!!".

Come on, that's a little too childish, I find it hard to believe she really has trouble falling asleep over what some dork 11 dollar an hour pharmacy assistant tech has to say about her.

But, so would I if I could get millions from Walgreens.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:09:33 pm »

This story made me laugh.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 09:16:18 pm »

Although she may have been a difficult customer, there is no excuse for ANY Walgreens employee to put those types of comments on her official patient information.  If they want to say that stuff about her behind closed doors after she's left the store, that's one thing.  By putting that in writing, where a bunch of people could easily access it, they have opened themselves up for major liability. 

If I was the CEO of Walgreens, I would call this woman personally, apologize profusely, then start throwing money at her to settle this case. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:57:17 am »

I don't see anything wrong with this.  It looks like a simple mistake.  I have a business and we write crap like this in personal fields.  ....the businesses I worked for before this one did it too.  You write stuff about clients that they're not supposed to see.  The mistake came that she got to see it.  For her to sue for emotional damages is frivalous. 

Especially if she's claiming that it's intentional.  Why would Walgreens intentionally write crazy on her medicine bags so that she would suffer emotionally?

She probably is crazy.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 01:25:36 pm »

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday. People from several different places were calling in talking about notes they leave on customers accounts. Pizza people called, Blockbuster people, dentist receptionists, etc. Almost every business has these notes.

The worst example I heard was about a pizza shop who printed had a printout come out like this one did. A black family ordered a pizza for delivery and on the receipt was printed the statement, These Ns do not tip.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

I work in a business where note are left on people's accounts.  Let's say you had a difficult customer that didn't want to go along with your company policy and was being a total jackass.  It would be ok to write a note such as, "This customer was very rude and abusive.  Used foul language and raised his voice in the store."  That's something your manager can reference in case the customer calls corporate and files a complaint against you.  That type of note stuck to the facts and didn't express any opinions about the customer. 

Compare that to the note that Phishfan put out "These N's do not tip."  Well, we all know what happened to the Thai Tony restaurant on South Beach for making such comments. 

The bottom line is, if you want to go to the back room and vent your frustration with a co-worker over a difficult customer, that's one thing.  If you express a negative opinion in writing by notating a customer's account, that is an entirely different matter.  It's a wonder what other Walgreens employees think of this poor woman after seeing those notes.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 03:06:36 pm »

Well, we all know what happened to the Thai Tony restaurant on South Beach for making such comments.

The bottom line is, if you want to go to the back room and vent your frustration with a co-worker over a difficult customer, that's one thing. If you express a negative opinion in writing by notating a customer's account, that is an entirely different matter. It's a wonder what other Walgreens employees think of this poor woman after seeing those notes.

Who gives a shit what Walgreens employees think of her.  You can't expect money from companies that make you feel bad.  She is claiming emotional damages.  I say bullshit.  Take your crazy ass off to Eckerds and be done with it.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:11:15 pm »

Who gives a shit what Walgreens employees think of her.  You can't expect money from companies that make you feel bad.  She is claiming emotional damages.  I say bullshit.  Take your crazy ass off to Eckerds and be done with it.

If employees say that stuff behind closed doors, that's one thing.  If they put it in writing, that's a totally different ball of wax.  Putting something in writing holds you liable for whatever you write. 

Let's say I called you a dickhead to your face (not that that would happen).  You'd be pissed and probably want to fight, but that would be the jist of it. 

Now imagine if I was a newspaper reporter writing about your site, and I printed something like "Dave Gray was a real dickhead to me during our interview" because I didn't like the way you spoke to me.   Would you want to sue me and the newspaper???   Nuff said.   
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 03:32:33 pm »

Now imagine if I was a newspaper reporter writing about your site, and I printed something like "Dave Gray was a real dickhead to me during our interview" because I didn't like the way you spoke to me. Would you want to sue me and the newspaper??? Nuff said.

No...not "nuff said".  I'd have no grounds to sue you.  Libel has to be 1) UNTRUE and 2) CAUSE DAMAGE that I would have to prove.  Nobody wins lawsuits for being called a dickhead.   That is a god-awful example.

Calling someone crazy isn't UNTRUE -- it's an opinionated statement, especially coming from someone without a PhD in psychotherapy, ie - the guy counting pills at Walgreens....and I'd venture to say that it's a real stratch for her to prove damages.  I have a feeling that Walgreens might just pay her off to keep quiet, but I don't see her winning a legitimate lawsuit.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 03:34:55 pm »

Another quick point -- I've been contacted by two different players/agents over our Pros and Cons article.  They threatened to take legal action if I didn't remove them from it.

They got a nice "bite my ass" memo from me, because everything said is true...damaging or not.

...and the article stands.

I drink your milkshake!
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 04:35:16 pm »

I think Tommy is confusing activity that is unprofessional with activity that is illegal (slander).  It wouldn't surprise me to see these employees fired for violating company policy, acting in a unprofessional manner and bringing negative attention to the company.   

Of course she can sue, and in our screwed up legal system she may get something.  It's More likely that Walgreens settles just to avoid the expense of going to court, dragging this out in the media, and the ever present risk of a jury awarding some insane amount to her (ref. McDonalds serves their coffee hot)

I hope Walgreens appologizes and then offers her free "crazy" meds for a 1 month.  Seems fair to me.
Lee
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 05:22:08 pm »

If other people saw the note (and depending on other factors), there may be a case for libel here Dave... whether or not you agree with it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 05:26:58 pm by Lee » Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 08:46:12 pm »

No...not "nuff said".  I'd have no grounds to sue you.  Libel has to be 1) UNTRUE and 2) CAUSE DAMAGE that I would have to prove.  Nobody wins lawsuits for being called a dickhead.   That is a god-awful example.

Calling someone crazy isn't UNTRUE -- it's an opinionated statement, especially coming from someone without a PhD in psychotherapy, ie - the guy counting pills at Walgreens....and I'd venture to say that it's a real stratch for her to prove damages.  I have a feeling that Walgreens might just pay her off to keep quiet, but I don't see her winning a legitimate lawsuit.

It is an opinionated and defamatory statement.  This woman is not suing for libel.  She is suing for emotional damages and defamation of character.  This is gonna look very bad in the court of public opinion for Walgreens.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:49:40 pm »

I think the ONLY thing that is a concern is that it's medicine, and there is a level of secrecy dealing with medications and medical records.  Perhaps this practice violated that somehow.

I think she's just looking to make a buck.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray