Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:59:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Speeding addiction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Speeding addiction  (Read 2581 times)
so_spoiled
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:22:58 pm »

I didnt write this, i found it on internet, someone wrote it like a year ago, but funny, this is exactly how i feel sometimes...i know its very irresponsible and selfish, but for some reason, speeding gives me that feeling of being alive...specially when im depressed and i feel like im dead. Im trying to fight it, specially because im getting a ticket every other month (i cant affort more tickets)... and more important, because i know im putting my life and others in danger... its hard... as hard as quitting smoking.

"Sometimes though, people don’t speed to save time, they speed becasue they’re addicted to the speed, they’re upset or something along those lines. Lately I’ve been driving just about as fast as I can to and from work, not to get there and home in any shorter amount of time, but because lately I’ve been severly depressed. I often do in excess of 100 mph when possible but usually it’s more like 90 (traffic). I’m very cautious, always keep my eyes open, never talk on the phone or anything like that, and ALWAYS use my blinker, well in advance of changing lanes. Of course, all of that doesn’t mean that I won’t get into a horrible accident and die and maybe take somebody else with me. I’ve been trying to battle this depression for years now and I think one of the contributing factors to it (not as a result of it, interestingly enough) is the speeding. There was a time when I did the speed limit, just chilled out and let people pass me. I never used the fast lane. And you know, I was a lot happier. Probably not as a direct result but I wasn’t always amped up every time I got into my car and went somewhere. It’s actually pretty calming and relaxing to do 70 mph than it is to do 110. What’s more, speeding can become like a drug. I know that in recent weeks of my speeding I’ve noticed myself becoming addicted to it. 80 is no longer fast enough, my norm is 90 now. I find myself wanting to go driving with no destination just so I can feel the rush of adreneline that comes with blowing past someone who IS doing the speed limit and feeling like they’re standing still. It is extremely self-destructive, can land you in jail or worse can kill you and any other relatively innocent motorist. The point is, people don’t always speed to save time. It can become extremely addicting on a physical level (much like people who sky-dive or hunt) and will almost certainly lead to an untimely demise. Driving isn’t safe. You can crash and die at 45 mph just the same as you can at 110 mph. But speeding increases the potential exponentially, and no matter how depressed or suicidal you are, in that final moment just before you hit someone while speeding you will be thinking “oh my God, I don’t want to die.” Think about that."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 05:33:53 pm by so_spoiled » Logged
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 06:46:20 pm »

i am definitely addicted to speed.  i'm an adrenaline junkie, and rollercoasters make me fall asleep.  so i joined the air force to go fly fighter jets, but my eyes wouldnt cut it.  so i speed.  i get a nice rush doing 120+ on our rickety jersey superhighways (the most dangerous highways in the USA are here Cheesy   BUT like the article said, i try to be smart about it, and i NEVER weave through traffic and wont even speed on non-highway roads....i try not to put anyone else at risk of my stupidity.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:56:51 pm »

Wow, I've never gotten a speeding ticket.  I do notice a tendency to drive fast when I am upset, but I generally become aware of it almost immediately and make a specific effort to stay at the speed limit.  I mean, if I'm already having a bad day, a ticket or an accident will just make it worse.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:51:16 pm »

I spent the first 5 real "driving years" of my life on a German autobahn...I can trace my addiction to speed all the way back there.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:51:57 pm »

That's just plain retarded.  I'm not one to understand depression and not about to want to try to find out either,  as well as getting a "rush" from speed.  I understand that it may be addicting, but like TBod said, speeding in the wide open road is the way to go if that's how you get your cookies.  I hate those freakin' 'gloids who do it in traffic.  Everytime I see 'em I hope to all that is high and mighty that they eat a tree all by themselves.  Leave the innocent out of your depression, people.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 07:57:33 pm by Thundergod » Logged
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:09:31 pm »

remember Man who drive like hell, bound to get there

im in depression so what i
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:50:04 pm »

For those of you who speed excessively, condsider yourselves EXTREMELY lucky that you haven't been caught yet.  Going over 90 MPH can get you arrested for reckless driving. 
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:02:42 pm »

Thats me to a T! I cant help it. I have to speed all the time.  My wife yells at me all the time.

raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:06:39 am »

i have a need to speed but i don't go faster then 60-65
Pats2006
Uber Member

XxDevilDog
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 05:51:19 am »

80 is my norm speed. I also dont let people pass me.

so_spoiled
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 09:51:39 am »

I understand that im dragging innocent people into my depression....but like i said, its an addiction, sometimes i dont even notice that i am over 100!, so far in 5 years i am in this country, i had 5 tickets, im not proud of it, on the contrary, i was looking on line if there were some kind of support group...but nothing....what i'm doing is using the cruise control and setting a little higher than the speed limit... but im telling you guys.... it really drives me crazy how other people pass me giving me a nasty look...even the infamous old people in Boca!
But...like i said, i cant affort more tickets!

I think im gonna start looking for other ways to get my daily intake of adrenaline...or i could move to Germany.... if i keep getting tickets, i think thats gonna be my last chance..im gonna get kicked out of this country!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:57:47 am by so_spoiled » Logged
Pats2006
Uber Member

XxDevilDog
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 06:02:33 pm »

so_spoiled we have the same problem.

Look what the gov. did to stop speeding!!

http://www.topspeed.com/car_news/lamborghini_galardo_-_wrecked_by_dubai_speed_bumper-ar3138.html

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 06:05:11 pm »

so_spoiled we have the same problem.

Look what the gov. did to stop speeding!!

http://www.topspeed.com/car_news/lamborghini_galardo_-_wrecked_by_dubai_speed_bumper-ar3138.html
Holy crap.  that's just not nice...
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 10:45:57 pm »

Talk about a tear-jerker of a video
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray