Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:48:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Menage a trois, NFL Style....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Menage a trois, NFL Style....  (Read 3052 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: March 21, 2006, 09:52:58 pm »

NFL Radio is reporting a 3 way (get the title now?) deal between the Jets, the Broncos and the Falcons.
-Denver gives the #29 pick and some lower picks to Atlanta for their first round pick (#15)
- Atlanta gives the #29 pick to the Jets for DE John Abraham

The Jets get a first round pick which is slightly higher than what the Seahawks offered, plus Abraham had worked out a contract with the Falcons, so there is no chance of him not playing (like he threatened if traded to Seattle).

Atlanta ends up with multiple lower round picks, so they aren't upset about giving up a first for a player straight up.

Denver gets a higher first round pick, without surrendering both of its firsts.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:03 pm »

Interesting trade...I think it raises questions for both the Broncos and the Jets:

I think the Broncos came out of this the best. Denver with the #15 and #22 picks is in a serious position to either move up to take one of two players I think Shanny covets, RB LenDale White and TE Vernon Davis, or stand pat and add two very solid players (chad jackson, sinorice moss, laurence maroney, brodrick bunkley, gabe watson?). Denver isn't THAT many pieces away from being an even more serious SB contender than they already are, so based on where the value dropoff points appear for this draft, I think bumping up in the first round was a brilliant move by Denver.

Stinkin Jets also made out well...Abraham wanted nothing to do with them, and the Jets got a second pick in the first round that should net an immediate starter...that is if they hold the pick. It's no secret the Jets have a chubby for Matt Leinart, who will definitely go off the board before NY picks at #4. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Jets offer up that #29 slot to New Orleans to jump to #2 and grab Leinart.

Atlanta got an established pro bowl DE in Abraham (one of their two biggest positions of need) who is happy to get out of NY...and with a fresh new contract to boot. They also get an extra 3rd rounder this year and a 4th round pick next year, which beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

One of the rare NFL trades where I honestly don't see a real loser...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:55:42 pm »

I think the Broncos came out of this the best. Denver with the #15 and #22 picks is in a serious position to either move up to take one of two players I think Shanny covets, RB LenDale White and TE Vernon Davis,

I think Lendale may fall to #15. Look at the teams ahead of there. Unless someone trades up to grab him, who will go after a RB? I think the biggest threat was Arizona, but now that they have Edge, I think they will address other needs. So the only remaining threat is Baltimore, who even though they signed Lewis and Anderson, may not pass up a potential stud.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:21:43 pm »

I've seen a couple of mocks where LenDale goes #14 to the Eagles. Talk about your serious inside-outside RB duo...LenDale-Westbrook would be pretty solid. If Philly doesn't grab him at #14, I'd be shocked if Denver didn't take him at #15.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 07:24:04 am »

I have a pretty good idea that Denver is targeting Vernon Davis, especially with the seemingly retarded release of Jeb Putzier and i think they may also nab maybe Laurence Maroney at 22 if he's there or a defensive end. Hopefully Mathias Kiwanuka. Now that would be my dream first round !

However ESPN is reporting this: (smokescreen) ?

Broncos | Targeting QB with No. 15 overall pick
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:35:07 -0800

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos are expected to target a quarterback after acquiring the No. 15 overall pick from the Atlanta Falcons in a three-team deal.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 03:55:19 pm »

Maroney will still be on the board at #22*...I am fairly sure of that at this point. I think that Denver would need to move up inside the top-10 to have much of a chance at Vernon Davis. He followed up his impressive combine showing with a very nice display of receiving skills at the maryland pro day...Vernon is moving up with a bullet.

* as someone who doesn't particularly like the Broncos<g>, I really hope they don't get Laurence Maroney. The reason...he's almost too perfect of a fit for Denver's system. I watched him a lot at Minnesota, and the aspect of his game that impressed me the most...his patience while blockers open running lanes and then the burst to exploit those once they are opened is exactly what a RB needs behind Denver's zone blocking scheme. If Maroney goes to Denver and wins the starting job in camp (which I believe he would), I would almost make Maroney my favorite for next year's RoY.

~ Micah Leggat
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 01:47:04 am »

Maroney will still be on the board at #22*...I am fairly sure of that at this point.

* as someone who doesn't particularly like the Broncos<g>, I really hope they don't get Laurence Maroney. The reason...he's almost too perfect of a fit for Denver's system. I watched him a lot at Minnesota, and the aspect of his game that impressed me the most...his patience while blockers open running lanes and then the burst to exploit those once they are opened is exactly what a RB needs behind Denver's zone blocking scheme. If Maroney goes to Denver and wins the starting job in camp (which I believe he would), I would almost make Maroney my favorite for next year's RoY.

I was reading through some stuff from Scouts, Inc that posted yesterday and saw something that made me think "Yup...I was just saying this." Todd McShay was talking about who was the second best back in the draft between the two seniors DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney. McShay said about Maroney...

"Maroney is a slashing back with impressive vision, initial burst and top-end speed. He also has a great feel for the zone-blocking scheme, which makes him a good candidate for a team like the Broncos, who run a similar scheme and own a late first-round pick..."

I still hope Denver doesn't get him. Wink

~ Micah Leggat
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:03 am »

I was reading through some stuff from Scouts, Inc that posted yesterday and saw something that made me think "Yup...I was just saying this." Todd McShay was talking about who was the second best back in the draft between the two seniors DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney. McShay said about Maroney...

"Maroney is a slashing back with impressive vision, initial burst and top-end speed. He also has a great feel for the zone-blocking scheme, which makes him a good candidate for a team like the Broncos, who run a similar scheme and own a late first-round pick..."

I still hope Denver doesn't get him. Wink

I just creamed my pants.  Grin

Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:23:08 pm »

Yeah...I think Maroney would be a no-brainer for Shanny if he is there at #22. I sure hope someone else snags him out from under Denver.  Wink

~ Micah Leggat
JMoney13

JMoney134u
Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:38:26 pm »

DeAngelo Williams will turn out to be the best RB of this year's draft.  The next LaDainian Tomlinson, mark my words.

2005 TDMMC Fantasy Baseball Champion
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 09:33:34 am »

DeAngelo Williams will turn out to be the best RB of this year's draft.  The next LaDainian Tomlinson, mark my words.
Sorry, i don't think he will prove as durable as LT, JMHO

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 11:51:54 am »

I think the best RB in the class will turn out to be Reggie Bush, but I do think that DeAngelo Williams, LenDale White and Maroney will ALL become solid NFL starting RBs.

~ Micah Leggat
BeefStewert
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 03:51:07 pm »

I have a pretty good idea that Denver is targeting Vernon Davis, especially with the seemingly retarded release of Jeb Putzier

A sidenote in ESPN magazine said that they thought Denver was ready to give Wesley Duke the starting TE role.  The article compared him to Antonio Gates since he is also a 6-5, 225lb. former basketball player.  I guess he isn't quite as heavy as Gates, but he has the height.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 04:03:05 pm by BeefStewert » Logged
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:50 pm »

A sidenote in ESPN magazine said that they thought Denver was ready to give Wesley Duke the starting TE role.  The artile compared him to Antonio Gates since he is also a 6-5, 225lb. former basketball player.  I guess he isn't quite as heavy as Gates, but he has the height.
God i hope so. We shall see.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray