Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:20:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jets may trade up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jets may trade up  (Read 3832 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:00:58 pm »

Randy Lange, of the Bergen (NJ) Record, reports the New York Jets are heating up on a trade up with the New Orleans Saints for the No. 2 overall pick in the first round and selecting Southern Cal QB Matt Leinart. "I know there's a lot of speculation out there," said Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. "I can't sit here and comment on any specific situation. We'll see what opportunities are presented to us. I won't rule anything in or anything out."

I'm not sure what the Saints are asking for in order to move down two spots, but this sounds like a logical trade for both sides. The Jets need a QB, hands down. They trade up to #2 knowing Houston is hot on Reggie Bush with #1. Then they're guaranteed the first crack at either Matt Leinart or Vince Young. New Orleans nabbed their franchise QB when they signed Drew Brees. They drop to #4 and can still nab a franchise guy to protect Brees.  D'Brickashaw Ferguson is a mammoth OT who is known for his pancake blocks.  This is after Tennesee takes whichever QB the Jets don't take at #3.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »

Tommy, I think you're on to something.

Only dropping two spots puts New Orleans in a great position to get D'Brick and the Jets really want Lineart (forget that Vince Young talk).

Makes sense to me, and seems like a likely trade.  I'm with you, though -- what's the asking price to move up two measly spots?

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:42:22 pm »

Tommy, I think you're on to something.

Only dropping two spots puts New Orleans in a great position to get D'Brick and the Jets really want Lineart (forget that Vince Young talk).

Makes sense to me, and seems like a likely trade.  I'm with you, though -- what's the asking price to move up two measly spots?

Hmmmmm, that's a good question.  Keep in mind that the closer you are to the top, the more you have to give up.  In 2004, the Chargers robbed the Giants blind in order to trade from #1 down to #4.  When it comes to trading picks this high, teams tend to ask for the moon. 

If I was the Jets, I would offer Chad Pennington and a lower round pick.  That would give New Orleans two gimp-shouldered QB's.   Grin
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:48:59 am »

I would say a 2007 1st rounder and maybe even a 2006 3rd rounder to move up two spots. Truth is, the Jets aren't worried about the Saints or Titans taking Leinart, they are worried about other teams trading up to take him. The Saints want/need Ferguson and the Titans want Young.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:24:40 am »

This is actually like a spoiler...I'm not amused.

Dave and I (and Fau and Joe Tex and VidKid and Mrs Dave) were having lunch yesterday at Tom Sawyers, and at one point, we were talking about the draft piece I'm writing. I told Dave that even though the TDMMC mock doesn't allow for trades, I had three trades in mine, and all in the first half of round one. NYJ-NO was the first of the three. I really didn't expect it before the draft...NO would be best served by delaying it just to drive the price as high as possible. Whether this deal happens within the next few weeks, or during the draft itself, I do think this one is going to happen.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:33:38 am »

The #2 pick New Orleans owns is worth 2,600 points, and the #4 pick is worth 1,800 points. When teams trade future draft picks, its always assumed that they would end up with the worse pick in that round, so the future first rounder would be considered the #32 pick, which is worth 590 points. I'm not sure which pick the Jets have in round 3 this year, but the 3rd thru 6th pick in that round are worth between 240 and 255 points. So that might get the deal done.

Now remember that the Jets also own pick #29 in this years draft. That pick would be worth 640 points. So if they trade both of the first rounders from this year, thats 2,440 points. Something tells me they'd have to give both of those picks up in any kind of trade to move up.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 08:36:17 am »

The #2 pick New Orleans owns is worth 2,600 points, and the #4 pick is worth 1,800 points. When teams trade future draft picks, its always assumed that they would end up with the worse pick in that round, so the future first rounder would be considered the #32 pick, which is worth 590 points. I'm not sure which pick the Jets have in round 3 this year, but the 3rd thru 6th pick in that round are worth between 240 and 255 points. So that might get the deal done.

Now remember that the Jets also own pick #29 in this years draft. That pick would be worth 640 points. So if they trade both of the first rounders from this year, thats 2,440 points. Something tells me they'd have to give both of those picks up in any kind of trade to move up.

Interesting theory.  Where did that point system originate?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 12:12:28 pm »

Interesting theory. Where did that point system originate?

Depends on who you believe...it has been around since "at least" the late 80's. Every team has a version of the draft slot value scale that they use to evaluate the trading of picks. The one Philly was referring to is generally considered a "base" scale, and NFL personnel gurus will adjust that based on their own opinion regarding the strength of that particular draft.

Here is an old article that contains the base scale: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
bsfins
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:56:24 pm »

Pat Kirwin was talking about this on Fridays NFL total access,His scale had the jets giving 2 first rounders this year would be enough to move them up to the Number 2 slot.

In his Scenrio he used the scale of #2 being worth 2400....(the jets owning the Number 2,and #29th pick in the draft)
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 02:10:08 pm »

i heard on NFL radio that Jimmy Johnson was the first to really promote the use of the current model of the draft pick value chart
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 03:13:53 pm »

i heard on NFL radio that Jimmy Johnson was the first to really promote the use of the current model of the draft pick value chart

This is true, though the 49ers fan in me has to contend that Bill Walsh used a similar system when he first took the reins in SF.  Wink

~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 10:22:10 am »

The Jets also own pick #29 in this years draft. That pick would be worth 640 points. So if they trade both of the first rounders from this year, thats 2,440 points. Something tells me they'd have to give both of those picks up in any kind of trade to move up.

If they can get away with giving up those two pics and nothing more, I'd pull the trigger.  Essentially, they gave up John Abraham to get that lower pick.  It gives New Orleans an advantage too, because they wouldn't have to pay the #4 pick as much money as the #2, and they get a late first rounder.  I can see them grabbing one of the three RB's that slip down there (White, Williams or Maroney) as insurance for the injury-prone Deuce McAllister.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 08:26:33 am »

OK, the latest rumors involve a bidding war between the Jets and the Titans for the #2 pick, as each team wants Matt Leinart more than Vince Young. 

This makes perfect sense.  However, the Jets have another first round pick this season, the Titans don't, so they may have to give up future high picks. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray