Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:02:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NO Fun League
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NO Fun League  (Read 3197 times)
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« on: March 28, 2006, 10:06:23 am »

Committee frowns on end zone celebrations
Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Spiking the ball in the end zone is OK. So is spinning it on the ground, or dunking it over the goalpost. Dancing in the end zone is fine, too, as long as it's not prolonged or a group effort.

Almost all other celebrations will be out if the NFL competition committee's proposal to clamp down further on the frivolities is passed by the owners.

"Individual celebration was getting out of hand," Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said. "The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control."

The new emphasis on unsportsmanlike conduct penalties will call for a 15-yard markoff on the ensuing kickoff against the offending team, and possible fines.

Players can't use props for any celebrations, and they can't be on the ground. Asked what happens if a player is tackled in the end zone and begins celebrating while down, Fisher said it would be a penalty.

"Get up and dance," he said, prompting laughter at a news conference.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 10:08:19 am »

I don't really care too much about this.  I think all this celebration crap will cause problems eventually.  It also takes away from the team, when people are taking out props and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:11:25 am »

I don't really care too much about this.  I think all this celebration crap will cause problems eventually.  It also takes away from the team, when people are taking out props and stuff.
I don't get it. Jeff Fisher says "Individual celebration was getting out of hand," yet when a guy scores he is only allowed to dance alone ? Makes alot of sense... Roll Eyes

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:15:10 am »

I don't see a problem with end zone celebration.  Until someone pulls a firearm out of their sock and starts firing it into the crowd, what's the harm of doing sit-ups in the end zone, or playing golf with the pylon?

Really?  how bout you guys focus on game-changing pass interference penalties instead?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:20:24 am by Brian Fein » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:34:55 am »

I don't see a problem with end zone celebration. Until someone pulls a firearm out of their sock and starts firing it into the crowd, what's the harm of doing sit-ups in the end zone, or playing gold with the pylon?

I think a lot of people agree with you, Brian.  I'm probably in the minority.  To honestly answer your question:

The NFL is a business, and they want to uphold a reputation.  Just like the NBA doesn't want its players to come to the games with a bunch of bling, it's the same thing.  There are sponsors and a history that get kind of insulted with this individual behavior.  The NFL would be in danger of becoming a mockery of it's former self -- more like the WWE than football.  I don't think that we're anywhere close to that now, but they want to keep the league on the professional track.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 10:56:17 am »

I don't mind celebration as long as it isn't choreographed.... but I do favor the "act like you've been here before" technique as well.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:39:59 pm »

I don't mind celebration as long as it isn't choreographed.

Word!

Sorry T.O.,  Chad,  and every copycat in the league. Looks like your schtick is up. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 02:04:15 pm »

I'm with CF on this one...I think the best celebration belongs to Marvin Harrison who, after scoring, simply hands the ball to the ref and heads to the bench to talk to Peyton and the OC and get ready for their next series.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 02:23:07 pm »

They're all enjoyable to watch, but I'd be pretty pissed off as an opposing player or coach if loud-mouth TO scored and then and went to propose to one of my team's cheerleaders, or scored and served the football up on a dish like a waiter.  It should be a 15-yard unsportsman like penalty, assessed on the kickoff.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 02:28:52 pm »

I think this blows - the players should be allowed to do what they want- choreographed or otherwise. Takes away from the game my ass. It adds personality & character to the game. If all you want are sprites who keep their head down & do or say nothing go play 10 yard fight. F this new policy & F Jess Fischer.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 02:40:57 pm »

It's Jeff Fisher, not Jess. 

But, for dropping "10 Yard Fight" in your post = +1.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 02:57:31 pm »

It's Jeff Fisher, not Jess. 

But, for dropping "10 Yard Fight" in your post = +1.

LOL. I knew someone out there would like that
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:22:26 pm »

This really doesn't affect the game in any way. It may affect someone's perception of the game, but not the game itself. To be honest, other than from ESPN how many of you are watching the end zone celebration anyway? On TV they are showing the TD replay, when there live I am  slapping high five jumping around, etc. If the media didn't glorify the celebrations most of the world wouldn't even see them anyway.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray