Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:54:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  The Downside of Daunte?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Downside of Daunte?  (Read 5727 times)
bsfins
« on: March 29, 2006, 02:39:09 am »

As someone who plays fantasy football,I hear the Dolphins just got Daunte Culpepper...I go YEAH! 3500 yards 30 Td's....But then I think about all the concerns....

I’ll be the first to admit, I didn’t want Daunte Culpepper to be the starting quarterback of my favorite team. I’m still not positive I’m happy with it, I’m cautiously optimistic. Is he Better than what we have...Yes, but that’s not saying much.

In all the sales pitches to sell me on Daunte, they all bring up the 2004 Minnesota Vikings.They tell me he had one of the best statistical seasons in NFL history. It would have been a MVP type season if it wasn’t for Peyton Manning breaking Dan Marino's touchdown record. Randy moss was hurt for most of that season, and he had no offensive line. We're running Scott Linehan's offense, and Mike Mularky has done well with other Bad QB’s, no where near the caliber of Daunte.

So skeptical people bring up, Look at how bad he played in 2005.Before He was injured the Team was 2 wins 5 losses. When Brad Johnson took over as the starting quarterback, the Vikings went 7-2 the rest of the season...No Randy Moss, no Scott Linehan, No Offensive line.

So I try to see all sides of the argument went and looked inside the numbers of his great 2004 season.

Daunte's Stat Line for the 2004 season....
379 Completions
548 attempts
69.2% completion Percentage
4717 passing yards
39 passing Td's
11 INt's
110.9 passer rating

He also rushed for
88 attempts
406 yards
2 rushing Td's

Wow, those are pretty impressive numbers....Let's look deeper...

The injured Randy Moss, so he wasn't a factor argument. Randy played,(and started) 13 of 16 games. Had 49 Receptions for 767 yards 13 Td's.

Let's subtract the Randy numbers.....

Daunte threw 3950 yards, and 26 Td passes. Still a pretty good
season...

Let's continue to look inside the numbers....

Daunte threw 106 passes to 5 different RB's for 1081 yards and 4 Tds.....Hmmm That would definitely inflate a passer rating, and passing percentage.

With all these great numbers ,Daunte and the 2004 Vikings could only manage an 8-8 record.(They made it into the playoffs losing in the second round to the eventual NFC champs.) Daunte's record as a starting QB isn't that impressive. Dennis Green With Daunte his first year starting went 11-5,since then Daunte Culpepper lead teams have gone 5-11,6-10,9-7,8-8,then 2-5 before the injury. Daunte hasn't had a Defense, or a great running game. Maybe but only 2 winning seasons?

Compare Daunte's Great statistical Season to other peoples season...

Peyton Manning 2004 4557 yards 49 Td passes 10 int's.....12-4 record
Kurt Warner 1999  4353 yrds  41 Td's 13 int's 13-3 record
Dan Marino 1984  5084 yrds 48 Td's  17 int's  14-2 record

The only comparable season to Daunte's
Dan marino 1986 4746 yards 44 TD's 23 int's 8-8 record

Acquiring Daunte makes me think of the Denver Broncos bringing in Jake Plummer.Was he a good QB on a bad team,or Was he part of the problem?

All, and all. I’m trying to be positive. Positive is one thing, but Proclaiming Daunte Culpepper the goose that lays the golden eggs, or in our case Lombardi Trophies. Don’t be so hasty to jump on people that question the quality of the golden eggs...they maybe just wrapped in Gold tin foil....

Flame away.....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:55:24 am by jtex316 » Logged
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:00:53 am »

Damn, B.  Never really noticed some of the numbers.  Makes you wonder.   Huh

But by the same token I'm not about to say that Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever because of the nice run NE made with 3 Super Bowls.  He's a product of a good system,  like many QB's.  So I'm gonna go with your Jake Plummer theory,  good QB on a "bad team". 

I haven't been this overly positive since '01,  I think Miami has a solid team.  The best in the NFL,  no.  But I'm thinking this isn't the pushover team of '04.  Hopefully Daunte is the missing piece,  hell,  like I said before, we went 9-7 with a sh*tty QB last year,  who woulda thunk?   Wink

Let's see the other QB everyone wanted.

Brees
8-8,  4-12,  12-4,  9-7...  2 winning seasons

Brees' best season: '05

Comp  Att    Pct    Yds      y/a   TD  Int     Rushing  att   yds  TD
323     500  64.6  3576   7.2   24   15                    21    49     1

Record: 9-7  no postseason

With a better team IMO than Culpepper.

jtex316
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:54:48 am »

I edited your post Lil B to fix all the formatting inconsistencies.  Notepad Blows.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:19:43 am »

Daunte's Stat Line for the 2004 season....
379 Completions
548 attempts
69.2% completion Percentage
4717 passing yards
39 passing Td's
11 INt's
110.9 passer rating

He also rushed for
88 attempts
406 yards
2 rushing Td's

Compare Daunte's Great statistical Season to other peoples season...

Peyton Manning 2004 4557 yards 49 Td passes 10 int's.....12-4 record
Kurt Warner 1999  4353 yrds  41 Td's 13 int's 13-3 record
Dan Marino 1984  5084 yrds 48 Td's  17 int's  14-2 record

The only comparable season to Daunte's
Dan marino 1986 4746 yards 44 TD's 23 int's 8-8 record

How do you figure those three seasons are not comparable? Are you going by record alone? That is not a fair comparison.
bsfins
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:10 am »

I'm comparing that Daunte's Great statistical season,doesn't equal wins,Like other great statistical seasons....
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:44:33 am »

I'm comparing that Daunte's Great statistical season,doesn't equal wins,Like other great statistical seasons....

Like other great statistical seasons of a local, legendary Hall of Fame QB.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:27 pm »

Great post B. The only thing I really remember about those Vikings teams is that they had an explosive offense that could damn near score at will. However their down fall was much like we had here with Marino for many years, no defense. Their defense was absolutely atrocious and I think that is a bigger reflection on their record during Daunte's peak seasons with them. I have always been a little shady about Daunte and I still am, but I am really hoping for the best and knowing that we do have the best QB available to us since we lost Dan. But I have to give credit where it is due and I will say a majority of those losses were pinned on Minnesota's lack of defense!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
bsfins
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:01:59 pm »

Jay fiedler gets credit for Games he started at Qb,yet he had a good defense,and good running game....I'm just trying to take a different look at Daunte.....I'm tired of hearing about how great his 2004 season was...Have we noticed the NFC north is...not exactly a power house division...the Bears have made a couple of runs,Detroit has been a joke for many years,Green Bay is the only REAL threat in thier divison...There is a hundred Excuses can be made for not having a better record....

Damn, B. Never really noticed some of the numbers. Makes you wonder. Huh

That right there made my Month...that was whole point of me writing this....
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »

Jay fiedler gets credit for Games he started at Qb,yet he had a good defense,and good running game....I'm just trying to take a different look at Daunte.....I'm tired of hearing about how great his 2004 season was...Have we noticed the NFC north is...not exactly a power house division...the Bears have made a couple of runs,Detroit has been a joke for many years,Green Bay is the only REAL threat in thier divison...There is a hundred Excuses can be made for not having a better record....

The only way you are taking a different look at Daunte and Fiedler is by verifying that Fiedler had a better team around him. Again, win loss records are not a very good way of evaluating a QB especially when it is your only criteria.
bsfins
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 03:29:27 pm »

Comparing teams,is like judging beauty..it's in the eye of the beholder...Judging a QB by his stats isn't the best way to judge a qb either.....

I'm pointing out....
No one wants to bring up Daunte's Win/Loss record
Yet eveyone holds Jay Fiedler's,Or Kurt Warner's,good record to them....

They just want to talk about how good his stats are...and how much better he'll make the Dolphins...He didn't make the Vikings that much better....didn't make them Win the superbowl...

How Many World Series titles has A-Rods great stats brought to the Yankees?

Regardless of what I say Phish...you're going to pick it apart....
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 04:51:14 pm »

Excellent post, Velvety_B...you make some interesting points there. I hope Daunte proves ya wrong on some of them<g>, but can't argue with some of your concerns.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray