Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:39:47 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Former 49ers HC Hickey Passes Away
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Former 49ers HC Hickey Passes Away  (Read 1985 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:44:34 pm »

Rest in Peace, Howard "Red" Hickey

The man who was coaching the 49ers when I was born...died yesterday in his home in Santa Cruz of natural causes. He was 89 years old. Hickey coached the Niners for 4 years, where he helped develop the original shotgun formation. He was the first HC to use the shotgun as a primary offensive set in the NFL. When Red left SF in 1963, he was hired by Dallas HC Tom Landry to come in and help teach what Dallas later dubbed "the spread offense" under Roger Staubach. Red worked with Dallas as a scout and consultant until 1986.

A very bright fella...and a great "football guy."

Red Hickey in the center, enjoying a breakfast of coffee and gameplanning with assistant Jack Myers (left) and Dick Vores (right)

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray