Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Biletnikoff Award Winners in the NFL
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Biletnikoff Award Winners in the NFL  (Read 2394 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:59:59 am »

OK guys, since a lot of you liked my piece on Heisman Trophy winners and how they performed in the NFL, I thought it would be cool to look at how other award winners have performed as well.  Let's start with the Biletnikoff Award.  This award, which is given to the nation's outstanding wide receiver,  first started being given out in 1994, so I will go back that far:

1994  Bobby Engram, Penn State:  Spent the first six seasons in the NFL with Chicago before going to Seattle as a free agent where he remains.  Has never cracked the 1000 receiving yard mark.  Has a knack for getting open, but also has a knack for dropping easy passes. 

1995 Terry Glenn, Ohio State:  Got off on the wrong foot with coach Parcells as a Patriots rookie and was referred to as "she" at one point, but quickly learned the system and established himself as a deep threat.  Currently winding down his career for Parcells with the Cowboys.

1996 Marcus Harris, Wyoming:  Never was able to take his game to the next level.  Is out of football

1997 Randy Moss, Marshall: Perennial Pro Bowl receiver who has set nearly every receiving record for the Minnesota Vikings.  Went under 1000 yards receiving in his career only once due to injury (2004).  Traded to the Oakland Raiders last season and struggled a bit learning the new offense.  Looking to improve this season.

1998 Troy Edwards, Louisiana Tech: Journeyman WR who has never been able to crack a starting lineup everywhere he has been.  Spent three seasons in Pittsburgh, one in St. Louis, two in Jacksonville, and one in Detroit.  Currently without a team.

1999 Troy Walters, Stanford:  Like Edwards, he has bounced around the league and never been able to establish himself as a consistent starter although has done a decent job returning kicks.  The real award winner in 1999 should have been Peter Warrick IMO.

2000 Antonio Bryant, Pittsburgh: A big receiver with good hands and blazing speed, but a knack for not getting along with teammates and coaches (sounds like T.O.).  Best season was in 2005 when he broke the 1000 receiving yards mark for Cleveland.  Now in San Francisco where he hopes to become a favorite target of Alex Smith.   

2001 Josh Reed, Louisiana State:  Has had decent stats with the Buffalo Bills as a third option, but was never able to establish himself as a #1 or #2.  His opportunity will come this season now that Eric Moulds has been shipped off. 

2002 Charles Rogers, Michigan State:  A high draft pick who has been a major dissappointment for the Detroit Lions.  Cannot stay healthy, and when he is healthy enough, he has a bad case of the dropsies. 

2003 Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh:  A big, physical specimen who is the perfect complement to Anquan Boldin.  Followed up a promising rookie season with a breakout performance in 2005 and made the Pro Bowl.  Will be a dangerous downfield threat in the years to come. 

2004 Braylon Edwards, Michigan:  Has all the tools to succeed in the NFL, but has been known to run his mouth at the wrong times.  Promising rookie season was cut short by a knee injury.  How he comes back from this injury will determine his career. 

2005 Mike Hass, Oregon St:  Has size and good hands but an extreme lack of speed could very well hamper his transition to the NFL.  Could establish himself as a possession receiver, but will not stretch the field very well. 

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:36:14 pm by Tommy » Logged
JMoney13

JMoney134u
Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:05:28 pm »

Thats pretty solid analysis.  I personally think Hass will go on to be as good as Ed McAffrey and Ricky Proehl, who both also don't have good speed.  My reasoning is that he has always been slow, and everyone he played against at the CB position in college was faster than him, and he still put up the best numbers of any WR not only this year, but last year too.

2005 TDMMC Fantasy Baseball Champion
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:55:28 am »

Thats pretty solid analysis.  I personally think Hass will go on to be as good as Ed McAffrey and Ricky Proehl, who both also don't have good speed.
I'm guessing that Mike Hass is white.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:13:37 am »

You better add Wayne Chrebet to that list, too.   Roll Eyes

As far as the list, Tommy, I like where you're going with it, but to fully understand, I need to know what the Biletnikoff Award is for.  Is it an MVP type thing, or are there other stipulations? -- like team success, or stats, etc.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:29:49 am »

You better add Wayne Chrebet to that list, too.   Roll Eyes

As far as the list, Tommy, I like where you're going with it, but to fully understand, I need to know what the Biletnikoff Award is for.  Is it an MVP type thing, or are there other stipulations? -- like team success, or stats, etc.

I stated what position the award goes to.  Based on the candidates involved, I would have to say it's strictly individual based, plus how valuable the player is to his team.  Guys like Harris, Walters, T. Edwards and Haas obviously were on teams that were not contending for the national title. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray