Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:46:24 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Non-Dolphins Overview/Draft blurbs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Non-Dolphins Overview/Draft blurbs  (Read 2043 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:28:01 am »

For the members who asked for non-Dolphins offseason/draft capsules...

Denver Broncos

Free agents signed: DE Kenard Lang
Draft needs: DT, WR, TE, RB, O-line depth

Summary: Denver was far less active in free agency this offseason than they were in 2005, but they were very active at the trade table, maneuvering with Atlanta and San Francisco until they had built up a stockpile of 7 picks in the first four rounds (#15, 37, 61, 68, 119, 126 and 130). I look for Denver to go after their biggest need positions (DT, WR, RB) with their first three picks and go after best talent available with the rest, in order to replenish the roster with more young playmakers at other less crucial areas.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Free agents signed: OG Toniu Fonoti, OT Torrin Tucker, LB Jamie Winborn
Draft needs: WR, OT, C, DE

Summary: Signing Winborn was an excellent move for the Bucs...he’ll step in and be a playmaker immediately. They also added depth at O-line through FA and re-signed their own key O-line FA (Kenyatta Walker), though I think they will still look to get younger and more athletic up front. A lot of Mocks I see have Tampa going with Nick Mangold, which would be a perfect fit. Aside from a couple of supplemental picks in the 6th and 7th round, Tampa Bay has the standard one pick per round through the first five rounds. I see Tampa going C in round 1, OT in round 2 and one of the big WRs in the second tier group in round 3.

Arizona Cardinals

Free agents signed: RB Edgerrin James, DT Kendrick Clancy and OG Milford Brown
Draft needs: Many... S, QB, OT, LB, TE

Summary: Edge was the most significant FA move of the offseason, narrowly edging out T.O.’s putting on the star in Dallas. Arizona still has O-line concerns, and Edge isn’t going to look like Edge, no matter how good Boldin and Fitzgerald are, unless the line plays significantly better a unit this season. Everything I hear out of Arizona leads me to believe they will select either Michael Huff or Jay Cutler at #10 overall

Carolina Panthers

Free agents signed: WR Keyshawn Johnson, DT Maake Kemoeatu, LB Na’il Diggs, LB Keith Adams, DT Damione Lewis, C Justin Hartwig, S Kevin McCadam, S Shaun Williams
Draft needs: RB, TE, OT, LB
Summary: Carolina may have been very aggressive in signing other teams’ free agents, but it’s the two Panthers they let walk away (Will Witherspoon and Marlon McCree) that concern me. I see the Carolina defense taking a little bit of a hit unless they add some immediate playmakers on defense on day one of the draft.

Seattle Seahawks

Free agents signed: LB Julian Peterson, OT Tom Ashworth, WR Nate Burleson, DT Russell Davis, S Oliver Celestin, TE Will Heller, DE Kemp Rasmussen
Draft needs: OG, DB (both CB and S), DE
Summary: Everyone points to Seattle letting Hutchinson sign with Minnesota, and trusty vet Joe Jurevicius left as well, but I think Seattle came out of free agency just fine with new blood, and I think re-signing FB Mack Strong was more important than Hutchinson (and considerably cheaper as well). They don’t have a third round pick, so I expect them to address their defensive back field with their first and possibly even their second rounder. If they don’t use both in that area, they’ll likely go after a guard in round two.

AFC East

New England Patriots

Free agents signed: WR Reche Caldwell, S Tebucky Jones, K Martin Grammatica
Draft needs: RB, LB, CB, WR
Summary: This offseason has been all about the Patriots’ players who have left the fold...Adam Vinatieri, David Givens, Tom Ashworth, Tim Dwight, Christian Fauria, Willie McGinest and Matt Chatham. Coach Unabomber must really love the mid round prospects in this draft (New England has 6 picks in the first 4 rounds) to let that much veteran talent leave the fold. I wouldn’t be surprised to see New England deal their first round pick (#21) for extra 2nd-4th rounders and load up on even more young talent.

Buffalo Bills

Free agents signed: S Matt Bowen, WR Peerless Price (returning to the scene of his only fame), DT Larry Tripplett, TE Robert Royal, QB Craig Nall, CB Kiwaukee Thomas
Draft needs: Both sides of the line, CB, LB, maybe even a real QB at some point
Summary: Buffalo added some role players, but no real stars, during free agency, so they still need to get some playmakers. The Bills have the #8 overall pick, and a player like Haloti Ngata or Brodrick Bunkley would be a good start. Buffalo has 10 picks in this drat, so they do have a chance to add talent in a lot of different need areas.

New York Jets

Free agents signed: QB Patrick Ramsey, DE Kimo von Oelhoffen, CB Andre Dyson, LB Matt Chatham, OG/T Anthony Clement
Draft needs: RB, OT, QB, DT, LB
Summary: Losing John Abraham hurts, but von Oelhoffen isn’t a shabby replacement. Houston grabbing Mario Williams has the Jets scrambling to move up to #2 for Reggie Bush, and I still think that is going to happen before the #2 pick comes off the board. New York has 7 picks in the first four rounds, so they have the ammunition to make the deal. Hopefully they’ll have to give up a boatload to move up, thus ensuring that Reggie would play with a weaker supporting cast. If they don’t move up...they have enough need positions that “best talent” becomes their draft credo, no matt what position the player occupies.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray