Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:53:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  BBC interviews the wrong man
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BBC interviews the wrong man  (Read 1105 times)
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« on: May 16, 2006, 04:00:28 pm »

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=386136&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770

A computer expert has described his astonishment at seeing the BBC's 24-hour news channel interview supposed taxi driver Guy Goma in the mistaken belief it was him.
Guy Kewney - a white, bearded technology expert - was astonished to see himself appear on screen as a black man with an apparent French accent. He was even more shocked to see himself unable to answer basic questions about the legal battle between the Beatles' Apple Corps and Apple Computer over the use of an apple symbol.

Fare comment: The cabbie mistakenly interviewed by the BBC

Mr Kewney, an IT journalist, watched as Mr Goma, whose identity remained a mystery until it was revealed on Monday night by the BBC, gamely attempted to answer questions fired at him by BBC consumer affairs correspondent Karen Bowerman.

Mr Goma, a graduate from the Congo, described his surprise interview ordeal as "very stressful". He found himself being ushered into a studio and fitted with a microphone after raising his hand when a producer called out the name Guy Kewney.

On his website, the real Mr Kewney, said that the man "seemed as baffled as I felt" when asked about the consequences of the lawsuit live on BBC News 24.

It is unclear why Mr Goma identified himself when Mr Kewney's named was called.

Only when Ms Bowerman announced live on air the name and title of the man who should have been there and asked the first question did the driver realise there had been a mix-up.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "Unfortunately we did make a mistake and the wrong person was interviewed briefly on air before we cut to our reporter.

"We apologise to viewers for any confusion."

Read the transcript of the interview below...

There is a link to the video and a transcript. Look at the guy's face when they introduce him as someone else.

Props to the guy for trying to fake it!  Grin Grin

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 05:34:58 pm »

That is pretty damned funny...though I wonder if he was really trying to fake it, or if he just misheard the name "Guy Kewney" as his own "Guy Goma," and just rolled with the rest as it happened. Given the cabbie's non-english speaking background and the same first name and number of syllables in their surnames, I could see it happen easily.

Still damned funny though...  Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray