Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:11:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bills Hire Dick Jauron as HC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bills Hire Dick Jauron as HC  (Read 3697 times)
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« on: January 23, 2006, 04:51:35 pm »

FUCK THE BILLS

Bills hire Jauron as coach

January 23, 2006
BUFFALO, New York (Ticker) - Now there is only one coaching vacancy in the NFL.

The Buffalo Bills on Monday hired Dick Jauron to become the team's coach.

The hiring of Jauron is the first major move for Bills vice president of football operations Marv Levy, who was named to replace Tom Donahoe on January 5. Eight days later, Mike Mularkey resigned as coach after five of his assistants were fired.

Jauron is a former coach of the Chicago Bears and interim coach of the Detroit Lions. He edged five other candidates, including former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman.

"Everything has to work well together (for a winning team)," Jauron said. "To win, everything has to be outstanding; from ownership to front office, coaches and players. "Everything is vital to the organization. You have to do everything; play offense well, defense well and kick it well."

Levy worked as a Bears' broadcaster during Jauron's tenure with the team from 1999-2003.

"We were looking for three qualities in our coach," Levy said. "First, he had to be a good teacher. He needed to be able to work well within the organization. He has to because he can't do it alone, and he had to have the respect of the players, and Dick has that."

Jauron was the NFL Coach of the Year in 2001, guiding the Bears to a 13-3 record and a division title. But they were 22-43 in his four other years as coach.

This past season, Jauron worked as defensive coordinator of the Lions and took over as interim coach after Steve Mariucci was fired on November 28. The Lions went 1-4 under Jauron, who served as defensive backs coach of the Bills in 1985.

Sherman was 57-39 in six seasons with the Packers and guided them to three straight division titles from 2002-04. This past season, Green Bay finished 4-12 and Sherman was fired on January 2.

Ten teams made coaching changes in the offseason. All hired first-time coaches with the exception of Kansas City, which lured Herman Edwards away from the New York Jets, and Buffalo.

Oakland is the lone team with a coaching vacancy.

Mularkey went 9-7 in his first year as Bills coach, but slipped to 5-11 last season.

The Bills have not reached the playoffs since 1999 and last won a playoff game in 1995 when Levy was the coach.

Since Levy's final season as coach in 1998, the Bills have had three coaches - Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams and Mularkey.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:07:16 pm »

My contractor buddy who is a Bills fan was doing some work for me at my house this morning. I had read on ESPN that the Bills were going to hire him and we discussed this. He was kind of pissed. Jauron was a crappy coach in Chicago other than one fluke season. I guess this is good for us!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
DolFan619
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 09:27:37 pm »

Well, expect Buffalo to be sucking for the next few seasons.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:07:44 pm »

Bad move on Buffalo's part.  Jauron may be ok as a coordinator but he's already proven once that he can't hack it as a head coach.  I wonder who's calling the shots in the front office now that Tom Donahoe is out of a job?
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »

I wonder who's calling the shots in the front office now that Tom Donahoe is out of a job?

Marv Levy.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:38:09 pm »

Dick Jaroun sucks.  He had one year where the Bears were 11-5 (TWO of those wins, by the way, coming from MIRACLE, unbelievable return interceptions by Mike Brown), and other then that, absolutely NOTHING.  The Bears looked awful in his only post-season apperance, getting killed by the Eagles. 

Another crap coach winding up in another crap team.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:05:28 am »

For two games a year (at least until he's fired), Miami should benefit from this signing. I think Jauron makes a solid defensive assistant coach, but he hasn't shown the personality or originality it takes to be a good NFL HC. He inherits a team with one of the worst O-lines in the league, no QB (Losman + Holcomb = no QB) and an aging defense. Good luck, Dick...you're gonna need it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray