Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 03:24:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Moore in the West Coast Offense.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moore in the West Coast Offense.  (Read 2805 times)
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »

This is the question we should all be asking right now.  Can Moore hold down the fort for a year as a West Coast QB while we prep a draft selection behind him?

Manning was the only free agent that was obviously better than Moore (in general).  We could debate Alex Smith or Gerrard, but neither of them are on a totally different level (in general).

I keep saying "in general" because I don't know how Moore would perform in a full blown "West Coast" offense.  Let me express what I PERCEIVE to be true with the West Coast offense below.

------------------------------

Common knowledge part - The West Coast offense is built around short timing routes that allow receivers to catch the ball on the run and require the QB to throw to a spot rather than at the receiver.  Check downs are available on nearly every pass play.

Other - My understanding is that there are a lot of option routes.  Depending on how the receiver reads zone, man, press, off coverages as well as safety help the route can change while it is being run.  Therefore the QB and the receivers must make the same read or the ball will be thrown to the wrong spot and possible result in an interception.  It has been said that this is one of the reasons for getting rid of Marshall because he didn't care to make the reads.  Marshall depended on his talent so much that he would apparently run the route as called regardless of coverage knowing he could outplay the cornerback for the ball.

Matt Moore - Seems to have games when he is super accurate but then there are some games when I just don't know if he can handle the needed accuracy level game in and game out.  He has origins in a system of pushing the ball deep to his X receiver and Brandon Marshall only ingrained this tendency, but the way he used Fasano tells me that he isn't a one trick pony. 

Brian Daboll used a West Coast hybrid (the Patriot offense).  It seems to be a hybrid of a West Coast with what Norv Turner does.  He mixes underneath timing routes and a few option routes with outside deep threats.  Throw in a fairly heavy dose of screen passes and you have the Patriot offense.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

Omar Kelly wrote ... how can you turn around and prop Moore up as the team’s starter in 2012 after the franchise spent three months telling everyone he’s not good enough?

This is a huge problem for them. Regardless of the 5% of people who have been pulling for Moore the franchise has been talking about bringing in a "franchise QB" from before the end of last season. Do whatever it takes ... I think is what Ross said. I don't see them selling many tickets this year unless they are 6-2 after week nine and that isn't happening. Ross better be looking for more celebrity owners.  Shocked

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

If the Fins sign Alex Smith I am not sure Matt Moore is on this roster come the draft.  I could see Miami drafting someone in Rd 2 or 3 and trading Moore somewhere for a very late round pick.

Moore has been in California all offseason, not even in Miami doing any work with the new coaches, and the team has tried to replace him with a laundry list of guys. I don't see this being a good marriage this year for him and the Fins.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »

Here's a better question: What does "hold down the fort" mean?

We aren't a playoff team and I still contend that going 6-10 was much worse than going 2-14. So, do we really even want a "slightly mediocre" season from a QB? If he isn't in the Pro Bowl, let him be terrible and hope for Matt Barkley. Then again, USC QB track records are nothing to brag about.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:12 pm »

Here's a better question: What does "hold down the fort" mean?

He has shown he can win games.  Optimally, hold down the fort means give us a shot at the playoffs.  Realistically it means .500 or better.  I would settle for, not embarrass the team any further.

I wanted to suck for luck, but I don't see a QB worth sucking for this year.  Losing is a cancer that this franchise needs to treat.  Without surgery, you don't kill the cancer all at once.  To continue the metaphor, this team has been sick for quite some time with several treatment options being attempted.  We need to see some progress regardless of the cure at this point.  Sometimes that is the way it goes in medicine and I see it with this team.  This franchise can come back from this but it is likely going to be one step at a time and we are well past the days of looking for a shot in the arm solution.  Luck and Manning were the experimental miracle cures that went to other candidates; time to move on from miracle cures.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray