Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:35:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  ESPN to waive 100 employees
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: ESPN to waive 100 employees  (Read 7007 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 11:36:50 am »

To a certain extent, I'm sure he had already done the overwhelming majority of his pre-draft prep work.  So doing the draft allows him to end his time on a little bit more positive note, getting some closure.

Of course, this analysis presumes that Werder enjoyed his job and would have liked to keep doing it (not just "as a paycheck"), which is a fact not in evidence, so...

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 12:38:12 pm »

I don't really care how much he enjoyed (notice the tense) his job I'm sure it would be a bit difficult to put on a "happy" face  and represent an organization that no longer welcomes you. It could be a positive note or it could have been a Brockmire (I just started watching this last night) shit show.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »

Ed Werder has said ESPN asked him, at the conclusion of his conversation of being laid off immediately, to cover the New Orleans Saints during the draft coverage. Ballsy if you ask me.

Stupid if you ask me.  Have him work the draft, then give him the pink slip.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:01 pm »

Stupid if you ask me.  Have him work the draft, then give him the pink slip.

That's a good way to develop a reputation as a terrible place to work.

Everyone understands that layoffs happen; if you're one of 100 people laid off, it sucks, but you understand the decision.  However, to breathe a sigh of relief at avoiding the layoffs, only to be laid off a week later because they wanted you to work the draft?  F that noise.  You'd better hope you don't need anything else from me  - notes, references, contacts, whatever - because you're going to get a middle finger instead.

ESPN was much better off handling the situation in the way they did.  Werder made his own decision to cover the draft anyway, and they didn't make a lifelong enemy in the process.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »

I wouldn't have laid off any of the football people 2 days before the draft. 

"we will be making some changes to our organization over the upcoming weeks.  In order to minimize disruption any changes in our NFL coverage will occur after the draft, any changes to people covering the NHL after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup, NBA - finals."  Then go ahead and layoff the college basketball analysts you don't need, etc.

Just because the Dolphins layoff a cornerback on Monday, doesn't mean that every other cornerback can sigh of relief without any worry they won't get laid off on Tuesday.

Of course you can't set false expectations by saying we are having one day of layoffs and then have multiple ones.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:32 pm »

That is another way to handle it.  However, a different issue arises.  First, to clean up something said earlier:

He has a contract so they have to pay him no matter what, unless he works for another organization.
As fans posting to an NFL-related forum, we should all be quite aware that not all contracts are guaranteed.

So it is entirely possible (I would lean towards "likely") that keeping people on the payroll for another month means an extra month of salary floating out the window.  There were many NFL personalities who were laid off that were NOT then asked to cover the draft, so laying off everyone and paying Werder separately could have had a significant financial benefit.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:14:31 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 09:22:21 am »

That is another way to handle it.  However, a different issue arises.  First, to clean up something said earlier:
As fans posting to an NFL-related forum, we should all be quite aware that not all contracts are guaranteed.

I'm not sure what you are cleaning up here. He has a contract and they are paying him for the remainder of it unless he takes work, that would negate the contract, elsewhere. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 10:52:27 am »

Laying off an employee with a guaranteed contract makes no sense. The purpose of the layoff is to reduce costs. 

When players who have fully guaranteed contracts get released it is done to make room.  But ESPN doesn't have a roster size limit.  Likewise with CEOs/coaches it is to create an opening for a new direction.

I suspect that anyone let go by ESPN either didn't have a contract, had one that gave some severance benefits in case of early termination but substantially less than full value of the remainder, or was on the very tail end that was basically a non renewal where they basically just got a month or two off.  Otherwise this is the dumbest and least effective cost saving measure ever.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 11:03:11 am »

Christ, since no one will take me at my word, here are several links the damn article stating so. ESPN is paying these people to stay home.

ESPN has told me, and I’m sure all of the others who were let go that they are going to honor our contracts. At the same time, their expectation is that we are going to honor those contracts. What I’ve subsequently found out by having dialogue through a lawyer with the legal department is they are not anticipating allowing you to negotiate your way out of your contract. They’re allowing us to go pursue other opportunities if there are some. But if you get a job you want, what I’ve been told is if you want the job, take it knowing you’re not going to be paid by ESPN. You’re not gonna double dip, we’re not gonna just offset.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/02/espn-asked-ed-werder-to-cover-the-nfl-draft-after-laying-him-off/?utm_term=.e190e4050410

"Apparently, if I want to continue being paid by ESPN for the duration of my contract, they will not allow me to work in television or other media without risking all that they owe me," Werder said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ed-werder-espn-laid-off-cover-nfl-draft-2017-5

Since Werder’s contract still has time left on it, ESPN could have simply waited to cut the cord on him until after the draft. Instead, Werder was paid to not work — and will continue to be paid to not work until he finds another job that ESPN allows him to take, but only if ESPN receives credit for what he makes elsewhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/02/espn-asked-ed-werder-to-work-the-draft-after-firing-him/

Modified to add: In my haste to show that I am not making this up, I missed Hoodies last explanation that there may be short terms left on these contracts.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:06:45 am by Phishfan » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »

Fair enough.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 11:37:20 am »

Bumped this thread as possibly the biggest name (at least to me) to date has been let go. John Clayton is no longer working for ESPN.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:27:41 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:47 pm »

I loved John Clayton...he was the ultimate geeky sports dude. He iss to football what Tim Kurkjian is to baseball. The guy who was never good enough/athletic enough to play, but the players all respect him anyway.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 02:18:15 pm »

Surprised that Clayton is gone.  That's the biggest name so far, no?

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 06:34:00 pm »

Surprised that Clayton is gone.  That's the biggest name so far, no?

Clayton has been on NFL Radio for weeks hinting at this so it isn't out of left field he has known for weeks.

I still think Andy Katz is the biggest name as he was their NCAA insider for hoops. There are a ton of NFL insiders and Clayton has been lost in the shuffle for years
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 09:57:30 am »

I loved John Clayton...he was the ultimate geeky sports dude. He iss to football what Tim Kurkjian is to baseball. The guy who was never good enough/athletic enough to play, but the players all respect him anyway.

I can't stand John Clayton.  He just looks like a little weasel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray