Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:43:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Frugal February 2021 + Use It Up
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Frugal February 2021 + Use It Up  (Read 1674 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 03:28:49 pm »

I too am a total cost guy.  Prepaying 3 months is not the issue.

If I was starting from scratch I would consider mint over boost.

I totally get why you wouldn't switch.

I don't always go with the cheapest cost on lots of things, especially if it involves changing to a new service when I know 100% that the one I already have fits my needs.  But if I'm going to get a service and they offer a discount for paying ahead in bulk, I take it.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 03:52:54 pm »

I'm the epitome of a "total cost" guy.  I will take the pay ahead option if it saves me money 10 times out of 10.  Literally the one time I don't do that is with things like a mortgage or car payment, where I can't swing the upfront cost.  But even then, I try to reduce timelines or pay extra monthly.

I think that's how so many people get screwed who live paycheck to paycheck.  They pay more for the exact same service I get.  And when we're talking about $10 a month for cellphone, it's negligible, but that kind of stuff adds up.

There was a deal on Disney Plus when they first launced where I paid ahead for 3 years.  It brought the cost down to something like $3 a month.  Not only am I saving over 50% (and that's assuming the cost doesn't increase in 3 years), but it's paid and I don't have to worry about it.

Same with stuff like XBOX Live.  I'm paid 3 years ahead.

In my line of work, I deal with people all the time who make bad financial decisions based on monthly-payment over total cost.  Sometimes they have to because they're broke, but other times, they're just programmed to do whatever is cheapest month to month.

I too am a total cost guy.  Prepaying 3 months is not the issue.

If I was starting from scratch I would consider mint over boost.  If I was on a $100 plus a month plan I would consider mint.

However, I am happy with boost.  I have had problems with other low cost carriers (straight talk and one other). While maybe mint is great, I don’t know, not worth the risk.  Don’t want to deal with the cost of buying a new phone or paying to unlock my current one.  Don’t want to deal with the headache of learning a new set up if I need a new phone.

Just like you guys, I'm a total cost guy.  Only reason I mentioned paying by the month is because some people are careless with their finances and as a result, they don't have the money to be paying ahead.  Quite a few of my employees fit that description. 

If you look back at the New Years Resolutions thread and what me and my wife's goals are, one of the things she is taking me through is how to keep an eye on the finances.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 04:31:32 pm »

Mint doesn’t have ads like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6juLUkwuw

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray