Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:48:07 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Looks like Kevin Coyle as DC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looks like Kevin Coyle as DC  (Read 1441 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:44 pm »

Was leaked on Sunday that Philbin wanted Coyle as Defensive Coordinator and it looks he may get Kevin Coyle. Coyle is another football lifer of a coach. Has spent 9 years as secondary coach with Cincy. Before that was a DC for Syracuse (when they were good back in the 90's), Maryland, and Fresno St.

Interesting that last year Philly (out of conference opponent) wanted to talk to Coyle about their defensive coordinator position and Mike Brown said no. But a year later Brown is letting Miami (in the same conference) interview him. Maybe Brown has sympathy for Philbin at this time, who knows.

Either way, Coyle was at the senior bowl and today when he got news he can interview he left the senior bowl and went home. So, he obviously is interested and Philbin wants him. Seems to be the guy.
el diablo
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:49 pm »

I can't say that I'm familiar with Mr. Coyle's work. With him being a DB coach, that sounds like a plus.
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »

Word is, Philbin is going to have some difficulty hiring quality assistants.  He's a relative unknown and has been in Green Bay most of his career.  Also, its an unwritten rule in the Packers organization that their assistants are off limits to coaches who leave for promotions.  That leaves Tom Clements or Edgar Bennett out of the picture unless they approach Philbin themselves.  Philbin can't pursue them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:56:51 pm by Landshark » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:59:26 am »

Word is, Philbin is going to have some difficulty hiring quality assistants.  He's a relative unknown and has been in Green Bay most of his career.  Also, its an unwritten rule in the Packers organization that their assistants are off limits to coaches who leave for promotions.  That leaves Tom Clements or Edgar Bennett out of the picture unless they approach Philbin themselves.  Philbin can't pursue them.

Not really difficult at all, he just can't touch the GB guys. But Coyle is quality. If Sherman doesn't get the TB head coaching job he is the offensive coordinator and he is as good as they come. Philbin is keeping Rizzi as special teams cordinator so no issues there.
Landshark
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:32:41 am »

Not really difficult at all, he just can't touch the GB guys. But Coyle is quality. If Sherman doesn't get the TB head coaching job he is the offensive coordinator and he is as good as they come. Philbin is keeping Rizzi as special teams cordinator so no issues there.

Coyle may be quality, but I believe he runs a 4-3, which means a transition on defense.  This would have a major impact on the front seven.  You might see Jared Odrick and Phillip Merling rise to the top as they played in a 4-3 in college.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:35:50 am »

Coyle may be quality, but I believe he runs a 4-3, which means a transition on defense.  This would have a major impact on the front seven.  You might see Jared Odrick and Phillip Merling rise to the top as they played in a 4-3 in college.

52% of the Dolphins snaps last year on defense were from a 4-3 front. Not much of a transition.

That stat came out of Ireland's media interviews at the Senior Bowl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:38:22 am by MikeO » Logged
el diablo
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »

Ireland also admits a need for personnel for the upgrade. Personally, I love the 4-3. So, I welcome that change.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

That's not necessarily a bad thing since Miami only has 1 decent OLB that can rush the passer with Jason leaving. Moving to a 4-3 puts more emphasis on defensive ends rushing the passer. I'm assuming that Wake would move to defensive end and Merling and Odrick would be asked to get upfield more which you're right, might benefit them.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

He "can't touch" GB guys?

Lame.

Take who you want.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »

That is the norm.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Landshark
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »

Lame.

Take who you want.

The Packers are like a family organization.  There is an unwritten rule there where is a coach leaves to pursue a better opportunity with another team, the organization will allow him to do so as long as he doesn't bring any of the other coaches with him.  They can approach him for jobs but he can't approach them.  Just the way it is.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:17:13 pm »

A) the organization doesn't have a say about a coach leaving, if he leaves for a promotion

B) unwritten rules for one specific team?  Tradition is one thing but I fail to see how it becomes impossible if there is no other option.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »

A) the organization doesn't have a say about a coach leaving, if he leaves for a promotion

B) unwritten rules for one specific team?  Tradition is one thing but I fail to see how it becomes impossible if there is no other option.

Incorrect. You can't just leave for a promotion UNLESS its a head coaching position. For example, a WR coach can't just take another job because he will be a coordinator someplace else. Doesn't work that way. That's not the NFL rule.

They have contracts and unless its for a head coaching job you can't leave without the teams permission. Most teams let guys go, but not all. So this notion anyone can just leave isn't true.  Mike Brown blocked Coyle from even interviewing for the Ealges defensive coordinator job last year. And there are a million other examples like this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:43:39 pm by MikeO » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray