Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:17:47 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Beck says he is improved, unfazed by QB challengers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Beck says he is improved, unfazed by QB challengers  (Read 2256 times)
DolFan619
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:23:22 am »

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/458372.html

Beck says he is improved, unfazed by QB challengers

By BARRY JACKSON
Miami Herald

Although Josh McCown said he expects to be the Dolphins' starting quarterback, you won't hear any similar declaration from John Beck. But Beck explained last week why he believes he has improved, and insists he doesn't care if the Dolphins draft a quarterback in the early rounds.  In two months working with new quarterbacks coach David Lee, Beck said he has received more individual coaching on technique than he did all last season.

''It was hard last year because I was the third guy,'' he said. ''Now, it's been nice because we've been able to focus a little bit of time on me. Coach Lee definitely has helped me. I've made a lot of strides since the end of the season in some smaller detailed things'' -- including delivery and footwork.

For weeks, Beck and Lee have been watching Beck's game tape as a teaching tool. Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo credits Lee for his development when they were together in Dallas.

Beck hired a trainer and has gained 11 pounds to 216, his weight last summer. ``When I'm driving, I think about third-and-8, fourth quarter, critical situation against the Jets. Last season was frustrating. That's why four days after the season, I started working for next season.''

Asked if he believes this regime has a favorable impression of him, Beck said, ''I don't know.'' (He said nobody has told him.) He ''chatted a few times'' with Bill Parcells, ``but there hasn't been any discussion of the future. It's just a get-to-know-me, get-to-know-you type deal.''

He said the Dolphins told him they were signing McCown the day it happened but didn't elaborate. McCown was told it will be an open competition, and Beck surmises that.

''The same confidence he has about himself, I have about myself,'' said Beck (62.0 passer rating, one touchdown, three interceptions in five rookie appearances). ``He wants it just as badly as I want it. I heard he's a hard-worker, very athletic guy. Those are the kind of things I feel I bring. If we both [bring] kind of the same thing, what's going to separate us is being smart, making correct decisions, getting out of bad plays.''

Would he feel let down, or a lack of confidence from management, if the Dolphins draft Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan No. 1 or another quarterback in an early round? ''No,'' he insisted. ``The way I am, I couldn't care less.

``When the opportunity comes, I have to strike. I'm not coming in to say I'm shooting to be an average quarterback and I'll be happy with that. I have such a high expectation for myself. I'm trying to be the absolute best I can.''

CHATTER

•  Stephen Ross, buying 50 percent of the Dolphins, said he will become the majority owner and managing partner eventually. Associates of Wayne Huizenga say the transfer of power might happen in two years, if not sooner.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:27:41 am by DolFan619 » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray