Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:10:34 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Horn interested in Miami; Dolphins tell Joe Horn no thanks for now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Horn interested in Miami; Dolphins tell Joe Horn no thanks for now  (Read 3291 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:27:29 pm »

In my opinion, no thanks....

Joe Horn interested in coming to Miami

By Ben Volin | Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 03:04 PM

The Dolphins have eight receivers in camp, but could they be adding one more?

Two weeks after rumors about Terry Glenn fizzled, the agent of veteran receiver Joe Horn contacted the Dolphins Tuesday, less than three hours after Horn was released by the Atlanta Falcons.

Horn, 36, fell out of favor with new coach Mike Smith and his coaching staff, and has stated publicly that he would like to play for either the Dallas Cowboys or Philadelphia Eagles.

But his agent, Ralph Vitolo, contacted the Dolphins on Tuesday afternoon because they see Miami as a good situation. Horn, a 12-year veteran, could be a mentor for young Miami receivers Ted Ginn, Derek Hagan, Davone Bess and others.

While the Falcons owe Horn $2.5 million in guaranteed money, Horn is free to sign with any NFL team, at any price.

It is not known if Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland are interested in acquiring Horn.

Horn, a four-time Pro Bowler, has fallen out of favor with the Falcons after signing a four-year contract in 2007.

According to our sister paper, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Horn skipped all voluntary workouts, conditioning and other team functions this offseason. He reported to training camp, but admitted he did not study his playbook. He then suffered a hamstring injury that he said was minor, but has has sat out of the team’s first two preseason games.

He requested a trade during Training Camp, and Tuesday, was granted his release.

“They saw I was disgruntled, they saw that me sitting to the side and watching and we know it wasn’t going to work out well for either of us,” Horn told the AJC. “We made the right decision. They allowed me to go and I’m just happy to know that I’m leaving with good character.”

Horn has 603 catches for 8,744 yards and 58 touchdowns in his 12-year career with Kansas City, New Orleans and Atlanta.

Horn has four seasons of more than 1,250 receiving yards, and made the Pro Bowl four times in seven years with the Saints between 2000 and 2006.

He joined the Falcons last year, and his production slipped significantly — 27 catches for 243 yards and one touchdown in 12 games.

But he would add a little credibility to a Dolphins receiving corps. Ginn and Hagan, the top two receivers, have a combined three years of NFL service and have never topped 420 yards in a season.

UPDATE: Here are the teams Horn’s camp has contacted: Dallas, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Seattle, Denver, Green Bay, St. Louis.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/08/19/joe_horn_interested_in_coming.html

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
DolFan619
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:29:49 pm »

While I realize that the current veteran receiver on our roster (Ernest Wilford) has been a let down thus far, I don't see much of an upgrade by bringing in a 36 year old Joe Horn.
DolFan619
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:19 pm »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-dolhorn081808,0,2561966.story

Agent: Joe Horn interested in Dolphins

By Harvey Fialkov
Sun-Sentinel.com

3:51 PM EDT, August 19, 2008

While the Dolphins ponder which of their young receivers to keep on their final 53-man roster, veteran Joe Horn entered the marketplace Tuesday and is interested in coming to Miami, according to his agent.

The 6-foot-1 Horn, 36, was released by the Atlanta Falcons, and his agent Ralph Vitolo said that the Dolphins would be an ideal landing spot.

"Joe could bring veteran leadership and mentor the young receivers,'' Vitolo said. "We have an interest in Miami if they have an interest in Joe.''

Horn's best years were with the New Orleans Saints from 2000-04 when he averaged 85 catches for 1,258 yards and nine touchdowns a season while making four Pro Bowls.

He only had 25 catches over the last two seasons, and this offseason asked for a trade or his release because he was unhappy with Atlanta's youth movement. The impasse ended in his release today.

Horn didn't show up at the Falcons' offseason conditioning workouts, and missed the first two exhibition games with a hamstring injury. The Falcons are on the hook for a $2.5 million bonus to Horn.

Vitolo said he's calling teams around the league today, including the Dolphins.

Earlier this month, the Dolphins were discussing the possibility of signing former Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn, 34, but those talks have stalled.

"It's a business so I understand how things were handled,'' Horn told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "What if some of their receivers went down? They would have had me around to help. I knew that and understood.

"If I couldn't play I would retire, but I know I can still play.''

Of the eight Dolphins receivers in camp, only Ernest Wilford has more than three years experience.

Horn hasn't played for Dolphins coach Tony Sparano but they do have something in common. Both are natives of New Haven, Conn.

Hmm.

DolFan619
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:17 pm »

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2008/08/fins-look-at-jo.html

Fins: Look at Joe Horn?

The Falcons have finally released Joe Horn.

I've been in favor of this team keeping younger players over older ones at virtually every spot, unless it just doesn't have any promising youth at a position.

But this team thought about Terry Glenn, who may still not be fit to play (due to knee trouble) and is only two years younger than Horn.

Horn was not productive last season, with just 27 catches in 12 games.

Would you consider him?

> Posted by Ethan J. Skolnick at 1:15:07 PM
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:47:04 pm »

Joe Horn had a fine career, but  his best days are long behind him. He's 36, out of shape, had a bad attitude in Atlanta, and I don't see the Dolphins adding him. Nostradocmus says the team will sign someone they like off the waiver wire before the season starts and cut the very disappointing E. Wilford.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
DolFan619
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:53:19 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/08/titans-showing.html

Titans showing most interest in Joe Horn

There are rumors the Dolphins are making a play for receiver Joe Horn because, well, he's available.

Agent Ralph Vitolo tells me that he has indeed called the Dolphins to see if they're interested. But he also says as of 6:30 this evening, the Dolphins had not returned his phone call.

Vitolo tells me the Tennessee Titans have shown the most interest in Horn so far and that, "Dallas is also a big possible landing site for Joe."

Horn has narrowed his list of teams he would play for to seven teams and although Vitolo tells me the Dolphins are one of those that I should "stay tuned" to see what transpires, it seems like a stretch for the Dolphins to make a strong play for the 36-year-old Horn.

If this was two weeks ago, I might think it would be likely.

But the truth is the receivers have recovered a little since their difficult start to training camp. They are catching the ball better and, as I reported in an earlier blog post, the coaching staff is thinking Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn Jr. will be the starting duo.

The rest of the receivers corps is still a work in progress but at least the coaches have seen some progress. And that is pleasing to them.

That doesn't mean the Dolphins have settled on keeping their current group of receivers. The Dolphins, with the first waiver claim early this season, will use that on some receivers if they believe one or more guys other teams put on the street are better than the guys they currently have in their locker room.

dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:21 pm »

at this point in camp the receivers we have seem to be settling in. they aren't going to set the world on fire, and the depth at the position is a concern, but it'll be a serviceable unit. no thanks horn.

ted ginn (and his family Smiley ) might surprise a lot of people this year with some solid production...
DolFan619
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/miami-dolphins/story/648761.html

Miami Dolphins not only suitors for Horn

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
Miami Herald

Although the agent for newly available wide receiver Joe Horn has contacted the Dolphins to gauge their potential interest in the former Falcons pass catcher, there's no reason to get over anxious about any imminent signing.

The agent, Ralph Vitolo, also contacted 31 other teams. Yes, every one other than the Falcons, who released Horn on Tuesday.

There is one reason to keep watch on Horn's decision, though. He has at least narrowed his top choices down, and Miami made the cut. Of course, there are also six other teams -- including the Cowboys, the Titans, the Jaguars, and the Rams, Vitolo said.

Vitolo has reached out to the Dolphins, but no conversations have taken place. Vitolo sent the team an e-mail and also left a message. He hopes to speak with Miami later tonight.

While Horn might (or might not) be completely sold on joining the Dolphins -- ''Miami is rebuilding, which is one negative,'' Vitolo said -- a potential match would be assuming the Dolphins would have any desire in signing a 36-year-old receiver.

Currently, although the team might lack star power at the position, Miami is more interested in getting younger. And it's not as if Horn's addition would make this team that much closer to a playoff run.

The Dolphins have also considered adding former Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn, but they abandoned those discussions when it became clear that Glenn's knees weren't anywhere near in good enough shape for him to even practice yet, a source said.

Vitolo said Horn is likely to sign with a team in the next three or four days.

Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:08 pm »

I'd take him for one year.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:19:51 am »

I'd take him for one year.

Hey why not, not like Miami is Playoff bound yet, but at the same time, to sing him would be a waste of money !

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:04:59 am »

Nope.  I don't want him.  He's what I like to call a T.O. Lite.   We need to stop thinking about bringing in veteran receivers and start developing some new ones as early as next years draft. 
DolFan619
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:35 pm »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-horn0820,0,1017852.story

Dolphins not interested in Horn - for now

By Harvey Fialkov
SunSentinel.com

7:05 PM EDT, August 20, 2008

The Dolphins continue to take a pass on available veteran receivers as they told the agent of recently released receiver Joe Horn, that for now, they're happy with their group of young pass-catchers.

Horn, 36, a four-time Pro Bowl receiver from 2000-04 with the Saints, was released by the Falcons Tuesday.

"The Dolphins told me they are going to work with their young receivers and see how they perform before addressing the veteran situation,'' said Horn's agent Ralph Vitolo. "I think they like Joe but it's going to be a matter of timing to see if anything works out in Miami.''

The Titans have shown the most interest in Horn.

Sparano, who criticized his receivers' corp last week for dropping too many catches, said Wednesday that there has been a huge improvement.

"They've made some pretty tough catches in some tough situations,'' Sparano said. "And even in practice right now, they're competing for the ball. The ball is on the ground a lot less right now. They're concentrating a little bit more.''

It seems the receivers' improvement has coincided with the arrival of veteran quarterback Chad Pennington, as well as due to the steady progress being made by rookie quarterback Chad Henne. The two combined to complete 22 of 32 for 188 yards against Jacksonville Saturday.

"Just the familiarity with your quarterbacks, who's throwing what kind of ball,'' Sparano said. "I always remember we would have the difference in [Tony] Romo or Brad Johnson or Drew Bledsoe and Romo and they threw different balls. Some guys thought it was pretty friendly and easier to catch and the other guys struggled with it a little bit.''

Sparano praised the recent play of receivers Greg Camarillo and rookie Anthony Armstrong

"The most important thing is what they do in games,'' he said. "They both have played pretty decent when given the opportunity in games. Camarillo shows up all the time just as he's quarterback friendly. He gets in the way. ...

"Armstrong, in the bubble yesterday, had three catches of over 50 yards or more. It was pretty impressive.''

Of the Dolphins eight receivers, only Ernest Wilford has more than three years experience.
DolFan619
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:47 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/08/dolphins-tell-h.html

Dolphins tell Joe Horn no thanks for now

The Dolphins have finally called back the Joe Horn camp and the message is that the team wants to continue to evaluate its young receivers rather than commit to the 36-year-old former Pro Bowl player.

So the timing of Horn's availability doesn't seem right for the Dolphins.

Horn and his agent Ralph Vitolo are expected to continue shopping for a landing spot with the idea of getting into a camp as soon as possible so Horn can get cracking on learning a playbook and getting in football shape.

The Dolphins have not ruled Horn out for down the road should one of their current crop of pass-catchers go down with an injury. But the team clearly isn't viewing Horn as a guy to carry on the roster ahead of the group of guys they currently have.

This confirms pretty much what you've been reading here that the Dolphins are starting to feel better about their young crop of receivers as those players have gotten more familiar with the offense and the quarterbacks and the speed of the game.

Ted Ginn Jr. continues to improve, as evidenced by his outing against Jacksonville, while Derek Hagan seems to have sealed a starting job on the other side. Ernest Wilford, who still has work to do, is playing a little better while Greg Camarillo and Davone Bess are steadily gaining the coaching staff's confidence.

One darkhorse guy to continue to keep an eye on is Anthony Armstrong. According to coach Tony Sparano, Armstrong has lately shown amazing deep-threat ability. He had three catches over 50 yards in one recent practice, according to the coach.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:29:17 am »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/http://

smart move by the Phins.  if anything, this would have been a temp. fix and not long term especially with horn's age and I don't see him as a stellar role model for the younger receivers.

I like the idea of young receivers getting familiar and confident with QBs that are young as well, building repore.  now I know chad p. is 32 (I believe), but chad henne, if he becomes the long-term answer for the Phins, can work with the young receiving corps similar to dan and the mark bros.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 10:48:34 am »

It's funny how the receivers getting better coincided with Pennington's arrival...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray