Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:57:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Mike Westhoff/ Jets cheating?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mike Westhoff/ Jets cheating?  (Read 3101 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:53:36 pm »

I was in my car for several hours today and was flipping back and forth between the NFL Network, ESPN Radio and a few other sports channels (I have Sirius).

Something very interesting was brought up, which I am surprised I haven't seen comment on here. I was driving, so I didn't catch all the details, but it went something like this:

HERE'S HOW IT WAS REPORTED (not sure which host)-During the off-season, Mike Westhoff attended quite a few Dolphins practices which were open to the public. Mike was a special teams coach (I think for the Jets), and was out of work. But Parcells, like many other coaches/GMs/football people invited him to attend some practices. Apparently this is pretty common for football people to do as favors for out of work guys (helps them stay sharp and have a football mind). Westhoff was then re-hired by the Jets over the last week or so to be a Special Teams Assistant.
SO- Does anyone else see any issues with this? The guy basically watched practices and the host said he thinks it now gives the Jets an inside egde. Its pretty amazing that the Jets were the team which called out the Pats for cheating and now they are basically cheating as well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:17:07 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »

I don't know what Mike Westhoff can learn form watching a few practices in the preseason.  Its not like he was sitting in on the game-planning meetings...

Not sure I'd consider it cheating if (a) the practices are open to the public and (b) he was unemployed at the time.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 03:03:53 pm »

if the practices are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, then how could it even be in the universe as "cheating"?
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:07:59 pm »

if the practices are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, then how could it even be in the universe as "cheating"?

Precisely.  I recall a few years back that the Washington Redskins had a bunch of scouts from other teams attend their training camp practices that were OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. 

This isn't cheating at all.  Although, the hiring of Mike Westhoff could be for the sake of getting an inside edge on the Dolphins.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

If Mike Westhoff is fired Monday morning, then maybe there's an argument there, but still I doubt it.  Westhoff was the Jets' (and before that, the Dolphins') special teams coach for a long time.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 03:15:50 pm »

Just so you know, I agree with the fact that its not really cheating. The host of the radio show I was listening to was making that accusation.

I hadn't even heard anything about this and haven't even looked to see if there are any articles about it.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

1st round draft pick, $750,000.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 03:47:58 pm »

If the practice is open to the public, Eric Mangini himself can sit in the bleachers with a video camera and a notepad and its not cheating.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:34 pm »

I doubt that it really matters all that much anyway, especially on Special Teams.

Having never played football, I think that special teams is more about execution, rather than play calling.  ...hitting your blocks, creating the wedge, making the tackle, finding the hole, etc.

Does knowing the play call on special teams really give you that much of an edge?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:22:36 pm »

I doubt that it really matters all that much anyway, especially on Special Teams.

Having never played football, I think that special teams is more about execution, rather than play calling.  ...hitting your blocks, creating the wedge, making the tackle, finding the hole, etc.

Does knowing the play call on special teams really give you that much of an edge?

That of course assumes the mr westbrook either wasn't pay attention to anything but the ST or he doesn't share what he observed with the DC/OC/HC.  And I doubt both of those very strongly.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:18:14 pm »

This isn't a big deal......it's not even a story.   Open practice......end of discussion.  If Parcels had any concern about Westhoff, he should have offered him a job.  I would have cheered the decision. 

This thread reminds me of how Miami mistreated one of the NFLs greatest special teams coaches.  I'm still angry about it, and will never forgive Wannstedt.  He deserves every painful loss he suffers.   

Here's some background on Westhoff.

Westhoff was the Dolphins special teams coach for 15 years.  During this time, the Dolphins were consistently among the best special teams units in the NFL.   In 1989, the Dolphins’ players honored Westhoff’s dedication and courage by awarding him special recognition with the NFL’s Ed Block Courage Award as he battled bone cancer, and despite the grueling treatments he endured, he continued to coach full-time   Ignoring Westhoff's success, in 2001, Wanny replaced him with a crony from his time coaching the Bears.  As a result, the Dolphins special teams were never special again.

The Jets step in and sweep up Westhoff.  The Jets reap the benefits of Westoffs ability, and their special teams dramatically improve.  In 2007, Westhoff needed cancer related surgery on his leg, and decided to step down to focus on recovery.  I guess he's doing better, and able to come back.  Good for him.  The Jets are lucky to have him. 

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:21:12 am »

As per NFL Network- even when practices are "open", no members of any opposing teams coaching staffs are permitted to attend, so technically Brian, Mangini couldn't sit and watch.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:04:12 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:07 am »

And we got thier QB.........Its just part of the game. At the time he was at practice I don't think he was getting paid .  All he saw was a bunch of guys sweating it out.

simeon
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:48 am »

I could see it was cheating if he was video taping it, but besides that there's not much to this.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, and whom ever shall believe in Him shall not die but have everlasting life.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:09 pm »

Apparently Westhoff was still under contract to the Jets at the time this occurred, but Sparano didn't know that when he invited him to watch practice...

SPY GAMES

While he was rehabbing in Florida early this summer, Westhoff attended several Dolphins training camp practices.

"No, not really concerned," Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said. "Certainly at the time if I knew he was under contract (with the Jets), I wouldn't have allowed it. I didn't know, but it's not a big deal."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/09/dave_hutchinson_at_new_york_je.html

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray