Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:43:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 98822 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 09:26:40 am »

The Sox won't be going after CC.  You'll see them chasing down lower end targets like Derek Lowe.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:04 am »

The Sox will pretend to go after CC to drive up the price, but I think the Yankees opening offer will be so ridiculous, it won't matter.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:56:01 am »

I just don't understand the hard on for this guy.  I really don't.  He folds like a tent when really needed.  Why blow your budget on someone like that?

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 02:10:57 pm »

I am on the fence with this guy. On one hand, he is a workhorse and the Yankees need reliable pitching more than anything. He is pretty much coming off of back to back Cy Young years, even though he won't win it this season due to the trade. Plus, money is virtually no object because of the new stadium, so it's worth the risk.

On the other hand, his playoff record is spotty, though he did perform amazing down the stretch this season with the Brewers.

I am in favor of it, but I am a bit skeptical too. It's better than giving Tex all that money though. Ooh, a power hitting 1B, where on Earth can you find one of those? Oh that's right, EVERYWHERE! You can put a monkey at 1B as long as he hits. I would rather sign Adam Dunn and move him to 1B.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 02:03:34 am »

Padres GM Kevin Towers said Jake Peavy has added the Yankees and Angels to the list of teams to whom he'd approve a trade.
That's very good news for the Padres, as it doesn't look like the NL teams on Peavy's list were interested in anteing up. The Yankees and Angels have the talent to put together strong packages if they wish. The Padres would probably want Phil Hughes from the Yankees as part of the deal. Nick Adenhart, Brandon Wood and Sean Rodriguez are possibilites from the Angels. The Padres might also request Reggie Willits as part of a deal.
Source: SI.com

I gotta be honest, I am starting to sour a bit on Peavy. Sabathia would cost a shitload of cash. Peavy would want an extension, meaning a shitload of cash AND a shitload of prospects. Not to mention, Peavy didn't even average 6 and a half innings per start this year, and that was in the NL and pitcher's paradise. A move to the brutal AL East and a 9 man lineup may not produce ace-like results.

I would still take Peavy in a heartbeat, but I would rather just have Sabathia due to the cash. I can part with Hughes and some other guys, just not prospects and cash. So, I would like to stay away from Peavy.

Agent Rick Thurman indicated Monday that the Rockies have already made it clear they won't re-sign Brian Fuentes.
The Rockies would love to have Fuentes back, but they're not going to try to compete with offers that could guarantee the left-hander $11 million-$12 million per season for three or four years. The Mets, Cardinals and Angels are among those interested.
Source: Denver Post

Oooh, a 33 year old reliever who wants $40 Million. SIGN ME UP! He is a nice asset, but closers are a dime a dozen. It's the guys who can do it for 7+ years who are the real gems. Even then, the difference between a top closer and a good one isn't that wide a gap. Over a career it can be, but not season to season.

SI.com reports that the Brewers have, within the past day or so, presented CC Sabathia with a contract offer in the $100 million range.
Jon Heyman says that the word is that the proposal was for four or five years and between $20 and $25 million, and quite possibly for $100 million over five years. That fits in quite well with yesterday's speculation from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Sabathia seems highly, highly unlikely to re-sign with the Brewers before hitting the open market next week.
Source: SI.com

It won't nearly be enough, but kudos to the Brewers for trying. This is a real offer, not like a fake real offer that Billy Beane used to make.

MLB.com reports that the Nationals "have targeted" free agent Adam Dunn.
Washington is also said to be interested in sluggers like Prince Fielder, Matt Holliday and Mark Teixeira, but Dunn is by far the most realistic option given that Nationals general manager Jim Bowden drafted him back when he was with the Reds.
Source: MLB.com

I would love to have Dunn in the outfield or play 1B for the Yankees. 4 years in a row he has had exactly 40 HR. That is the definition of consistency. He isn't an MVP like Pujols or A-Rod, but he makes your team better and he is still young. He seems to be overlooked because of his low AVG and high K totals, but he is an OBP machine and produces. I would gladly take him for 5 years/$75 Million. I would consider it a bargain.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 03:14:31 am »

what day can we actually start signing?
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 10:17:12 am »

I read in our local paper yesterday that the Cardinals are interested in Holliday, but it is not a high priority, so they probably will not get him.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:37 pm »

^^^STAY AWAY FROM HOLLIDAY YOU NATIONAL LEAGUE SCURGE!!!!!

HE'S MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Ahem.

What I meant to say is that I sure would like to see Matty patrolling CF next year in Boston. 

SO KEEP YOUR MITS OFF, LADY!!!

Cheesy

-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 11:39:26 pm »

I want the Yankees to have Adam Dunn too.

...then I want a video collage at the end of the season showing every single ball hit to him in the field. I'll sit there for hours, laughing hysterically as I watch Adam misjudge, boot, gack and choke play after play after play.

I don't want the Yankees to have Peavy though... Nothing funny about that situation.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 08:58:13 am »

I don't want the Yankees to have Peavy though... Nothing funny about that situation.

If the Yankees get Peavy, I'll be sure to gravedig this post so I can laugh so hard that I'll cry. 
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:26 am »

hahaha Maine.  You know the Cardinals will never cough up enough to get him.  They have been stingy since 1892.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 11:51:32 am »

Stingy and multiple time World Champions!  Something is working for them!

And they do open up the wallet from time to time, look no further than Hudson for proof of that.  Right?

-Voltaire
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:43 am »

Yeah, but they still think Carpenter is going to come back and are in complete denial that we need more pitching.  TLR and Dave Duncan manufactured some good teams out of squat. They have an abundance of good young outfielders.  They need middle infielders and pitching.  However, I wouldn't turn down a big bat to hit behind AP.  We have a saying here:  "DeWitt needs to open DeWallet."   

Marcus Tullius Cicero
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 12:16:26 pm »

^^LOL...

-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 01:42:31 pm »

Dan Patrick show this morning,Were talking that Mark Cuban is pretty much out of the race to buy the Cubs....

Alos the Towers,the Padres GM,pretty much talking J.Peavy to the Braves or the Cubs....We're also trying to resign R.Dempster...(Who I think will be a clossal failure in 2009...Maybe have a .500 record...12-10 at best)..I'm not sure if J.Peavy would help what woes us,add a couple of left handed Bats,Some middle relief help,and resign Kerry Wood....or a different Closer..I'm happy to hear us talking about getting rid of Marquis...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray