Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:49:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 99704 times)
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2009, 11:55:20 am »

Braves sign Lowe to a 4 year 60 million dollar deal

wow .. talk about overspending like crazy !

HA
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »

HA

At least he's younger than Smoltz.  Smoltz does not have much time left.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2009, 01:22:35 pm »

HA

The man is 35 years old, his sinker is getting better with age, and he has never pitched less than 200 innings per year in his career.  To top all that off, check out his post season stats, the guy is a bulldog when the game is big. 

How is he NOT worth 15 million a year (in the context that pitchers like Burnett, who are always injured, get upwards of 17)?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2009, 02:08:33 pm »

Lowe and his agent were giggling and high-fiving all the way home... Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »

7 straight seasons with 32 starts. Lowe is absolutely worth it, much moreso than AJ Burnett. The Mets were stupid to not improve on their pathetic first offer, and now they will pay for it. Not just by having to face Lowe and have him greatly improve a division rival, but by trying to resign Oliver Perez now that Lowe is gone.

Frankly, I may rate the Braves above the Mets right now with the additions of Vasquez and Lowe.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2009, 02:21:04 pm »

both below the marlins
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2009, 02:56:31 pm »

both below the marlins

Perhaps.  I would like to see them add another arm or two to that rotation, if nothing else stock up on some junk veteran arms.  I would also like to see a little more depth in the infield, another Alex Cora type player.

-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »

don't they have amezaga and bonifacio .. and andino .. how many scrappy jack of all trades infielders can one team carry ?

they got cantu, and gaby sanchez as far as the corners go with mcpherson and wes helms as options as well .. i think that's plenty of infield depth

amezaga is the key there i think .. he's both a good CF as well as a SS / 2B type .. plays solid defense .. hits for average and is speedy fast.

if anything i'd like to see the marlins get some outfield depth .. they have hermida, ross and maybin as the 3 projected starters and a whole list of "who?" behind them. one of the "whos" brett carrol batted .314 with 19 home runs and 70 RBI in 88 games with albuquerque .. but who knows how he'll hold up in the majors
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2009, 08:57:59 am »

I still see the infield depth with the Marlins as a rag-tag group of either has beens (Cantu) or never was.  I would like to see the Marlins bring in someone that has won something in this league and brings a steady defense to the middle infield without giving up too much with the bat. 

A player I thought would have been perfect for Florida for outfield depth was Craig Monroe, I was a little surprised to see him accept a minor league deal from Pittsburgh.

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:52 am »

Boston and Youk have agreed to a four year / 43 (ish) million dollar deal with a 5th year player & club option.

Great contract for Kevin and Boston.

No player has ever gone to arbitration under Theo's watch, not one.  Although I think that will change this year with Papelbon.  Boston won't sign him long term.  Why should they?  Keep him on the cheap until his arm falls off.  Or groom a new closer, stretch him out and make him a starter - and THEN lock him up.

As long as he is throwing his arm out of the socket every day on a closer's routine?  No long term deal for you, Pap!

-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2009, 10:41:17 am »

LA just dumped andruw Jones
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2009, 10:47:36 am »

LA and I have something in common...I took an Andruw Jones-sized dump this morning as well.

Mine didn't stink as bad though

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2009, 11:18:07 am »

I was very glad to see that Youk got a deal done - his agent was quoted as saying they were not even close.

As far as Paps, I'd like to see him signed, but that just cause I love the guy.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »

I will say this about Theo, he is amazing when it comes to convincing your own players to accept below-average deals. Very unlikely that will happen with Papelbon, who will be 30 when he hits the market (I think they let him walk), but I think he is the best in the Majors at it.
landlocked
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2009, 03:24:04 pm »

Oh no!Now there's talk of him coming to the Marlins if Atlanta doesn't sign him...please no!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray