Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:14:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The Cowboys should be required to move the scoreboard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Cowboys should be required to move the scoreboard  (Read 5503 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:48:04 am »

i imagine its like the scoreboards in the NHL and NBA arenas that are hung from the cieling and can be retracted for special events.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:55 pm »

According to reports, stadium officials say the scoreboard can be raised as much as 30 feet (it's suspended by some big-ass cables).

No idea what raising it will do for the view of the scoreboard from the stadium seats, though...
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 09:06:31 am »

the first time someone boots a ball into the screen and breaks the screen will be the LAST time the boards are that low.  To Jerry Jones, you have to speak his language.  If he has to start replacing enormous high-def display boards, then maybe he'll think twice.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 10:34:35 am »

It's more likely the pyro displays if any will fry it (smoke wreaks havoc on anything electronical) before someone breaks it with a football. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »

Jerry will move it when it costs the Cowboys a win somehow.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:11 pm »

The situation i'm envisioning is this:

Cowboys have the ball and a 2 point lead inside 2 minutes, and the opposing defense holds.  Its 4th and 12 on the 31 yard line with 40 seconds to go.  Cowboys punter boots the ball into the screen.  Do over.  4th and 12 on the 31 with 30 seconds to go.  Cowboys punter boots the ball into the screen.  Do over.  4th and 12 on the 31 with 20 seconds to go.
You have a strange interpretation of the phrase "do over."  Why is the clock advancing?  This isn't like offsetting penalties; they aren't replaying the down.  That play simply did not exist.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:57:03 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 02:03:53 pm »

^^^I read Peter King's article on SI this past week talking about this, and apparently, coaches are worried about defensive starters who play on punt coverage having to play several "re-kicks" in a row and then having to go out there and cover receivers on defense.  Since that could be a problem, the same coaches said they could envision punters being told to kick more shallow punts so as to not wear out their special team "gunners".  Last, Cowboys punters will do this in half their games, so after a while will be used to how to navigate the scoreboard.  Visiting punters, not so much.  Either way:  advantage Cowboys.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »

You have a strange interpretation of the phrase "do over."  Why is the clock advancing?  This isn't like offsetting penalties; they aren't replaying the down.  That play simply did not exist.
That's not really true - an article I read very clearly stated that there was no provision in NFL rules to reset time on the clock in this situation.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 02:50:34 pm »

That's not really true - an article I read very clearly stated that there was no provision in NFL rules to reset time on the clock in this situation.

NFL.com thinks otherwise.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81234987&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Downs will still be replayed "if a ball in play strikes a video board, guide wire, sky cam, or any other object," but now the game clock will be reset to the time when the first play was snapped. Any penalties during the wiped-out play won't count, except for personal fouls.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 03:39:23 pm »

When Brian originally posted that, the NFL had not made a decision on the clock reset.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »

When Brian originally posted that, the NFL had not made a decision on the clock reset.

Brian's post is from today.  The decision was made 5 days ago. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 04:32:18 pm »

Brian's post is from today.  The decision was made 5 days ago. 
Brian's original post on the clock topic was from the 24th, before the NFL made the rule stipulation.

He read an article, the NFL has since rethought their position.

I hope everyone is clear.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 05:55:59 pm »

thanks - Phish is right - I read the article on the 23rd, in the Sunday paper a coupla days after the Titans' punter hit the scoreboard.  I didn't know they made a ruling about this, but I'm glad they did.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray