Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:47:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Zach Thomas sounds off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Zach Thomas sounds off  (Read 6865 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »

Thomas said he had only one request as he cleaned out his locker, to say goodbye to Dolfans with a news conference at the team's facility. The request was denied.

"You've got to respect players that's been good to the game," Thomas said. "I don't like the organization to look bad that way."

Add this to the list of dickish things this group has done. While I respect the Parcells no nonsense approach to football he goes overboard and cannot speparate himself from his ego at times. I think this is another one of those times. He should show some sort of respect to the people that "made" this organization what it is prior to him.

In addition to that being a dickish move by the Dolphins, it was also a bad business decision to not let Zach have his conference when he left.  Part of what puts butts in the seats at stadiums and builds brand loyalty which sells merchandise is the history of a team.  A team that celebrates its history, furthers their brand loyalty with their fan base.  If the Dolphins had celebrated Zach and what he meant to the team by giving him his chance to have a mutual kiss-fest of a media conference, the team would have come out of it looking better, Zach could have had his moment, and Dolphins fans would have been left with a warm fuzzy that would make the entire organization look better in their fans' eyes. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

If the Dolphins had celebrated Zach and what he meant to the team by giving him his chance to have a mutual kiss-fest of a media conference, the team would have come out of it looking better, Zach could have had his moment, and Dolphins fans would have been left with a warm fuzzy that would make the entire organization look better in their fans' eyes. 

How would it have made fans feel warm and fuzzy if Zach said "Thank you Dolfans. I still want to play, but I guess I'll have to go elsewhere. Good bye!" ?

Its not like he was retiring, he wanted to keep playing. We don't know for sure, but had he said he was retiring, I think they would've let him have a press conference.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
ethurst22a
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

I thought when Zach Thomas decided to call it quits (after he found out that he could not play anymore), he contacted the Dolphins office about holding a press conference at the Davie facility and they never got back to him. Well, you really can't blame Ireland for that. Zach was two years removed from the Dolphins. What Zach could have done is take out a full page ad in the Herald and Sun-Sentinel thanking the fans. Dolphin management or alumni probably would have followed up on that with some kind of informal ceremony.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »

I thought when Zach Thomas decided to call it quits (after he found out that he could not play anymore), he contacted the Dolphins office about holding a press conference at the Davie facility and they never got back to him. Well, you really can't blame Ireland for that. Zach was two years removed from the Dolphins. What Zach could have done is take out a full page ad in the Herald and Sun-Sentinel thanking the fans. Dolphin management or alumni probably would have followed up on that with some kind of informal ceremony.

No.  Zach was cleaning out his Locker right after being Cut. THATS when he asked to do the press conference and he was denied. They basically told him to go look for work on his own time and to hit the bricks. Not cool.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »

How would it have made fans feel warm and fuzzy if Zach said "Thank you Dolfans. I still want to play, but I guess I'll have to go elsewhere. Good bye!" ?
If you're going to look at it that way, what if he would have held a conference and said, "F*ck this organization, f*ck the city of Miami, you can all eat a dick"?
It goes without saying that there's a certain amount of trust that you would have to have in the player not to turn a favor that you do for him into an opportunity to bash the management.  In my opinion, after 10+ years as a Dolphin, Zach had clearly earned that trust.  Perhaps you disagree.

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

If you're going to look at it that way, what if he would have held a conference and said, "F*ck this organization, f*ck the city of Miami, you can all eat a dick"?
It goes without saying that there's a certain amount of trust that you would have to have in the player not to turn a favor that you do for him into an opportunity to bash the management.  In my opinion, after 10+ years as a Dolphin, Zach had clearly earned that trust.  Perhaps you disagree.

It doesn't matter if you and I have that trust (I do also, btw). The powers that be didn't want to allow him to do it, for what ever reason. Like I've said in the Taylor threads- maybe there is more to this than what we've seen/heard.  Maybe there's not. But you never know.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray