Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  jeff ireland is a piece of shit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: jeff ireland is a piece of shit.  (Read 53554 times)
jtex316
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:27 am »

If Jeff Ireland was walking down the street, and Dez Bryant was walking towards him, and Jeff Ireland asked Dez Bryant "Is you mom a prostitute?", Dez Bryant would have probably beaten the shit out of him.

But, because it was in a place where Jeff Ireland knew he wouldn't get his ass kicked, he asked the question.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 09:32:12 am »

You want an instance? He flat out lied about Gibril Wilson. Flat out lied about Ted Ginn, Jr (who we now find out was being shopped since 2008...that's great for a persons confidence).

What were these lies? I'm not sure I'm following these references.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 11:10:58 am »

I will say this:  if an employer asked a prospective employee this question, a lawsuit, brawl, or both would ensue.  I get why he wanted to know, in a sense, but he could've asked the question like this:

"Hey, kid, is your family life going to pull you under?  Is your mom going to be a distraction?"

And 'Stroke, the NFL is a business, and "54" and "99" were the team's showstoppers, the main gate attractions, the guys that put butts in seats, for over a decade.  A businessman would've said "the paying customer would like to see these two honored by the franchise, so I will honor them, in the name of goodwill and, hopefully, renewed season ticket packages".  A scout would say "you don't have it any more, you're out on your ear."  Ireland is a scout by trade and nature, not a business man.  This is beyond evident. 

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 11:15:22 am »

I'm not defending anybody, but we have been on both sides of the fence.

The Wannstadt era Kissed the ass of ballplayers. Took them on field trips to movies and shows. gave out draft picks and contracts like candy. Look where it got us.

I'm willing to wait and see if there is any truth to the saying that nice guys finish last.

StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:30 pm »

Sunstroke, they showed both Zach and JT the door.  OK if they did not fit into the team anymore.  Not ok that two beloved and iconic players were not allowed to say their goodbyes.  Not ok that Taylor was not just told face to face.  Post-it notes, vague maybes, give the guy a yes or no.

Phish, Ireland made it seem that the Dolphins wanted to keep and develop both Wilson and Ginn when he knew full well they were going to cut Wilson and were shopping Ginn.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:37 pm »

^^^ Maybe I didn't read those articles but I don't recall them.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 01:51:04 pm »

I didn't either, Phish...and aside from the idiotic comment about Bryant's mother, I think Ireland has done an outstanding job as Miami's GM.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »

Here's the bit regarding Wilson:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/04/ireland-the-interview-the-wilson-flap.html

He went on about how Wilson would perform better in the future, making it seem as though Wilson would be with the team.  He never said "he'll do better in the future AS A DOLPHIN".  He implied one thing and meant something else.

I think Ireland has done quite well as GM here, thus far.  I am concerned, however, at this apparent (and widening) perception that he's a classless A-hole.  Why?  Because what free agent in his right mind is going to willingly come to the Dolphins and be treated like meat, when other (winning) franchises treat their current, former, and potential players with dignity and class (Indy, San Diego, New Orleans, and, yes, the Pats come to mind)?  It's one thing to be a caustic ass if you're winning; it's quite another to be a middling success (both in Dallas and Miami) and act in this way.

by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »

I didn't either, Phish...and aside from the idiotic comment about Bryant's mother, I think Ireland has done an outstanding job as Miami's GM.

I am not questioning his ability as a GM.  He has done a fine job.  I am questioning his interpersonal skills, which seem to need some serious help.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 02:11:31 pm »

Am i the only person that has no problem at all with the dez bryant question ?

Ireland already knew the answer to the question before he asked it. or he wouldn't have known to ask it. It wasn't foot-in-mouth .. it was a calculated provocation to see how Dez Bryant would respond. The fact that his mother was actually a prostitute was already out there. the point of the question wasn't to see if she was turning tricks or not. The point was to see what kind of reaction they would get. Think of it as a verbal rorschach test.

In fact i'd put good money down that these types of classless and questionable questions are commonplace in pre-draft player interviews and have been going on for years. And i'd put even more money down that the tape of the interview was shown to a psychologist at some point before the draft to evaluate the responses. To think that an NFL team when faced with the decision to spend 40+ million dollars on an unproven player wouldn't go to these lengths to make the correct choice is naive at best.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:13:51 pm by Fau Teixeira » Logged
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »

It wasn't a stupid question to ask. 

His mother was convicted of selling drugs.  She gave birth at 15 to Dez.  Had 3 kids by 18.  All kids have different fathers (according to reports).  Rumors are at least one of the baby daddys was a paying customer.

Dez is on record saying how close he is to his mother.  You're potentially going to be on the hook for six years, initially, with this player and millions and millions of dollars.  It serves you best to know EVERYTHING about the potential baggage being brought to the table.

It's very easy to sit back and second guess that when the money being spent isn't your own. 

You are who you run with.  If I were Ireland, and I had concerns about potential pot holes that Dez's mom could get her son into, I would have vetted her without him knowing.  That's me.

I don't know how the question was asked, however - as long as it's done in a respectful way - I don't believe any question is off the table when accessing potential risk.  I'm quite sure that he didn't say "so, kid.  Your mom fuck guys for money or what?  She spread for dough?  Turn tricks?"

I'm sure he was as respectful as he could be.

Anyone think other teams don't ask some whacked questions?  According to Yahoo! Sports, other teams asked...

• Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy was asked during an interview with another NFL team at the Scouting Combine whether he plays in a G-string or a jock strap.

• Florida State safety Myron Rolle, who didn't play football at Florida State during his senior season to instead accept a Rhodes Scholarship, was asked by the Tampa Bay Bucs what it felt like to ``desert his team.''

• Running back Toby Gerhart was reportedly asked if being a white running back made him feel ``entitled.''

Source:  http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/28/1601113/miami-dolphins-gm-apologizes-to.html

So let's not get our undies all in a twist over this.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

^^^Fau , you'd be OK with an employer asking this of you?  Or about some other family secret?  I don't buy the calculated provocation argument, either.  Like, "let's test this kid's resistance to taunting to gauge the chance he's going to cost us 15 yards".  Nah.  Not buying that.  As I said before:  the guy is a scout by trade.  Evaluation of players: good so far.  The other stuff that comes with being a GM: not so hot.

Maine, you just cited examples of other teams having a bunch of socially inept morons running their drafts, too.  That doesn't excuse Ireland; it just shows that the line of questioning is pervasive in the business.  Show me where else in the world a prospective employer could ask a prospective employee if his mom was a hooker.  I don't think Goldman Sachs is asking this of its brokers; many of whom rake in several hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.  It's a preposterous question!

by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »

The excuse that everyone else is doing it does not make it right.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
bsfins
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

^^^ You're only having a problem with it now, because it's happening to your team.....Trying to compare it to an average joe is B.S.,Your job isn't scrutinized for every little move,and isn't in the public eye....
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »

Show me where else in the world a prospective employer could ask a prospective employee if his mom was a hooker.  I don't think Goldman Sachs is asking this of its brokers; many of whom rake in several hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.  It's a preposterous question!

When trying to obtain a top-secret security clearance to work aboard a nuclear sub, I was asked a lot worse questions that this regarding some of my family members, and their "involvements" in certain things. I was even asked certain questions about extended family members whom I didn't even know!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray