Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:48:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Wonder why certain players are gone: Joe Philbin!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wonder why certain players are gone: Joe Philbin!  (Read 4278 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: March 28, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-omar-kelly-dolphins-0327-20130325,0,2935148.story?track=rss

He has no room for Diva's, Loudmouths, or clubhouse lawyers!  Some highlights from the article....

Philbin claims he has an open door policy, but is it a coincidence that the three leaders – Dansby, tailback Reggie Bush and offensive tackle Jake Long - who confronted him last summer about developing a leadership council after disagreeing on Chad Johnson's release are no longer on the team?

"Absolutely not," said one player. "Those guys challenged him, more than once, and he doesn't like that."

A perfect example of this was Philbin's explanation of why Chris Clemons, the starting free safety from last year, was re-signed to a one-year, $2 million deal.

"The guy's tough. He keeps his mouth (shut)," Philbin said, stopping himself mid sentence before recovering with a "he just comes to work."

"I want guys who want to make an impact on and off the field. Good human beings. Guys who want to get better. Guys who want to improve," Philbin said. "They want to be great, want to win. Those types of guys we can work with every day."
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »

If he can make it work, good on 'em.  It's his show.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:54:47 pm »

Yeah, Nick Saban also had no room for divas and loudmouths, and ran the Dolphins with an iron fist.

Results.  The rest be damned.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:29 pm »

Yeah, Nick Saban also had no room for divas and loudmouths, and ran the Dolphins with an iron fist.

Saban also went Culpepper over Brees and made the office secretary's look away and not make eye contact with him when he was walking down halls. Nick had other issues going on...lol
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »

Well, if we're talking about Mike Wallace vs. Greg Jennings 5 years from now, Philbin will be in the same boat.

Landshark
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:34:19 am »

Philbin is approachable.  You just can't challenge his decisions.  Saban, on the other hand, was not approachable at all.  He even made a player cry.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:09:20 am »

To be fair, that player was a bit of a head-case.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:09 pm »

That's because as it turns out, Saban was the diva and the loudmouth.  From what I saw on Hard Knocks and in his press conferences, I don't see that with Philbin. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:33 am »

From a recent Pouncey interview on Philibin

Pouncey-- “Coach Philbin is a great guy and he has a great attitude about football. Guys like being around him because he loves being here and he’s our head football coach. He is picky about things. He wouldn’t let us untuck our shirts on the plane ride home from our first road game. He said no swag on the way back, keep those shirts tucked in. He’s a great guy and we love him.”
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:00 am »

When did discipline become a bad thing in sports?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:23:01 am »

When did discipline become a bad thing in sports?
It's not, but you don't see it alot these days
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:35 am »

A "leadership council" after some of the guys didn't agree with dumping Chad Johnson?   LOL    I'm picturing players coming to Don Shula back in the day and saying that they wanted a "leadership council" because they didn't agree with one of his decisions.   What a society we have turned into. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:49 am »

It's a sideshow.  It's no different than Wanny's lobster trap or Saban's complete lockdown on talking to the media.

Whatever, man.  Be the players' cool uncle, or be their prison warden; I don't care.  Results.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray