Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:29:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  1972 Dolphins going to the White House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 1972 Dolphins going to the White House  (Read 5295 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: August 13, 2013, 06:54:33 pm »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9564904/undefeated-1972-miami-dolphins-honored-white-house

The 1972 Dolphins never got the chance to go to the White House because Nixon and the Watergate scandal was ongoing at the time .So the White House has invited the entire 72' team to go next week for a ceremony. Stephen Ross is paying for everyone's transportation to D.C.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:41 pm »

That's awesome! 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »

Well Obama is a sports fan.  He has already had the '85 Bears in who missed their visit b/c of the shuttle disaster. 

I wonder if there are any others.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:07:44 am »

Glad to see that the old boys are going to get their moment in the White House sun.  Good for them! 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:46:28 pm »

Props to Ross for ponying up the money to finance the trip...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:59:58 am »

The 1972 Dolphins never got the chance to go to the White House because Nixon and the Watergate scandal was ongoing at the time .

I heard them talking about this on the radio and this was only a joke from a player, not the actual reason.  Championship teams didn't start going to the White House until the Reagan administration, in the modern era.  Before that (like way way before that) teams would show up for political reasons now and then.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »

I heard them talking about this on the radio and this was only a joke from a player, not the actual reason.  Championship teams didn't start going to the White House until the Reagan administration, in the modern era.  Before that (like way way before that) teams would show up for political reasons now and then.
Really? I thought I read that in actual newspaper articles ... not that really means anything I guess.  Undecided

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

So it's a (more) glorified photo op?

I'm okay with that.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »

Really? I thought I read that in actual newspaper articles ... not that really means anything I guess.  Undecided

Yeah, I even researched it today, so I didn't start spouting BS.  I actually read the same article, CF.  They make it sound like fact, but they're really only saying that the 1972 team didn't go and that it was during Watergate.  ...and then they put the quote from the player. 

But Watergate wasn't the reason.  It wasn't yet a regular thing to bring championship teams to the White House, though Nixon was a big sports fan, so he may have done it.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure you guys know I do not have a whole lotta support and love for Obama the president but I really think people ought to respect the position. Well it looks as if some of the Dolphins are actually refusing to go because of politics. I think that's wrong although I do respect their opinion  just as I have others in the past. I'm not sure who you have no relationship people of other opinions ... let alone the President of the United States.  It says three here but I read another article where they said a few others were on the fience for the same thing but didn't want their names released until they decided what they were going to do.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-hyde-a-shame-some-72-dolphins-refusing-white-house-invite-20130817,0,4561700.story?track=rss
Hyde: A shame some '72 Dolphins refusing White House invite

I’m not going to lie. I wish they were going. I think they all should go. The 1972 Dolphins go to the White House on Tuesday for a fun road trip down Pennsylvania Avenue and memory lane.

Rather, most of them will go.

A couple of players have previously scheduled engagements they couldn’t leave. That happens. But the conversation will be about three refusing to go and two on the fence about the trip because of politics and President Obama.

“I’ll just say my views are diametrically opposed to the President’s,’’ Manny Fernandez said. “Enough said. Let’s leave it at that. I hope everyone enjoys the trip who goes.”

They have every right to feel this way, of course. And their stances aren’t so surprising. A growing sports tradition accompanying the one of championship teams to the White House is players protesting politics by not going.

Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk didn’t join the NFL champions to protest President Obama’s right-to-life views. Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas passed on the White House trip because the government, “has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties and Property of the People.”

If players still in the relative youth of life and career custody of their teams make such statements, it was bound to happen with these undefeated Dolphins. They’re in their 60s and 70s now. They’ve lived full lives and have entrenched opinions.

Langer said he was first asked informally about a year ago if he’d go to this White House.

“No, never,’’ he said.

Again, I wish they all were going as a team. That’s my thought. It’s a shame because they’ve remained a team for 41 years. It’s a shame, because about half of any team visiting the White House disagrees with any sitting president judging by the ballots.

It’s also a shame because this fuels the Grumpy, Old Men motif that’s clattered behind this team through the years. The first president in four decades invites them to the White House and is turned down for politics?

But here’s the thing: They have every right to do this. The two players on the fence asked me not to name them. Maybe they go. Maybe not. The three who decided not to go are respectfully firm.

“I don’t belong there, I’ll tell you that,’’ Kuechenberg said. “Without being critical, I can just tell you I don’t belong. It would be hypocritical of me to be there.

“I don’t want to do that. I just don’t believe in this administration at all. So I don’t belong. Anyone on the left or the right has to respect one man’s opinion.”

Forty-one years ago, the ’72 Dolphins followed orders, swallowed egos, tamped down personalities and came together for the good of a team. That was their job.

Forty-one years later, it’s different.  It’s more complex. It’s not a job. It’s their beliefs.

“I think it’s great if (other players) want to have that function at the White House,’’ Langer said. “I have other stuff to do.”

He’ll be fishing with his 4-year-old grandson, Max, instead of going to the White House. You can appreciate that. You can respect their right to follow their beliefs.

You can still consider it a shame.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure you guys know I do not have a whole lotta support and love for Obama the president but I really think people ought to respect the position. Well it looks as if some of the Dolphins are actually refusing to go because of politics.

I don't get.  Also, this is not the first time, I have read about folks refusing b/c of politics, but it does seem to be happening a lot more with Obama than I ever remember it happening with Bush.  And democratic leaning athletes had as much reason to boycott him as republican ones Obama. 

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:06:39 pm »

If they don't want to go, who cares... I'm sure that Obama isn't losing sleep because he won't be able to shake Fernandez and Langer's hands.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:42 pm »

If they don't want to go, who cares... I'm sure that Obama isn't losing sleep because he won't be able to shake Fernandez and Langer's hands.

Actually I think the only visit he actually cared about was the '85 Bears.  He is a Bears fan, not a Dolphins fan. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:07:10 am »

The guys not going are respectfully declining to go, and I'm fine with that.  If they tried to make some big splashy denouncement of the President then I would have a problem with it, but that's not happening here.  If only the "media" didn't try to sensationalize it we probably would hear very little about them not going.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »

I can't imagine not going to meet the president for political views.  You're going in respect to the office.  If I didn't accept invites from people who had different political views than I do, I wouldn't go anywhere.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray