Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:58:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Evan Mathis just cut...SIGN HIM MIAMI!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Evan Mathis just cut...SIGN HIM MIAMI!!  (Read 32990 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:51 pm »

What I read in reference to the Dolphins was ... "Just know that there are conversations taking place" Drew Rosenhaus said on Sports Xtra about the Dolphins' courtship of Evan Mathis. An optimist and a pessimist could spin this any way they want. all I know is no one watching the practices ... media or fans ... have been left with any optimism about the o-line.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 02:59:57 pm »

WQAM reported that Drew was down there talking extensions regarding Miller and OV who are in contract years and clients of his, and the name Mathis came up.  Drew was down there talking about other clients (Miller and OV) and not Mathis. Mathis just came up in conversation.

Hey look, I hope they sign Mathis but its false to spin it that the Dolphins after 4 practices are now ready to jump in and open up the pocketbook to pay Mathis just because his agent was at practice talking about other players
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 07:45:46 pm »

He is his agent anyway, everything he says has a hidden meaning.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 09:41:44 am »

Hickey mentioned this morning moving Jason Fox to OG once Albert is back at LT.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:29 am »

I was wondering yesterday if that might be a viable option.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »

Hickey mentioned this morning moving Jason Fox to OG once Albert is back at LT.
Well that ought to solve everything!! LOL

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2015, 10:25:32 pm »

We are 2 weeks away from hiring sumo wrestlers to play guard.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:00 am »

Armando reporting right when Philly cut Mathis the Fins offered him a 1 year deal in the $2-3 mill range. Mathis and Rosenhaus laughed. The Fins haven't budged off that as Mathis wants at least $5.5 mill. Unless Douglas and Thomas (forger Turner at this point) get hurt or totally suck beyond belief in camp and preseason games.....the Fins probably won't budge off their initial offer.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 06:19:29 pm »

If they can afford the $5 Million for this season, then do it. It's all hands on deck for this season anyway with the Brady suspension and his age and our 2016 cap situation. Division is more winnable now than it was when we fucking won it in 2008. Go for broke.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

If they can afford the $5 Million for this season, then do it. It's all hands on deck for this season anyway with the Brady suspension and his age and our 2016 cap situation. Division is more winnable now than it was when we fucking won it in 2008. Go for broke.
I kind of agree with this.  Not that the Dolphins are a star guard away from Super Bowl, but that you could give him the 1-year "show me" contract worth the 5 million, and let him walk next season when we can address it "for real."  Not really any downside, although, I don't know if the Dolphins have the cap space to do it right now, or if Mathis is willing to sign a 1 year deal.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:40 pm »

I kind of agree with this.  Not that the Dolphins are a star guard away from Super Bowl, but that you could give him the 1-year "show me" contract worth the 5 million, and let him walk next season when we can address it "for real."  Not really any downside, although, I don't know if the Dolphins have the cap space to do it right now, or if Mathis is willing to sign a 1 year deal.

They have the cap space but they want to roll over as much as possible to next year cause next year they are already over the cap. Yes the cap will increase again but they still aren't in glowing cap shape heading into 2016.  Tannehill's deal jumps about 10 mill. Suh counts 26 mill on the cap. Wake and Grimes are probably gone after this year (Wake already told the front office he isn't taking a pay cut and giving a hometown discount.) Reshad Jones could be gone after this year some think to create cap space. They have many cap issues next year and they want to roll over as much cap space as possible.

They can sign Mathis now but its a matter of wanting to do it and managing the cap.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:50 pm »

You know what? If we get Mathis, why aren't we Superbowl contenders? Not that I think we would be the 85 Bears, but who else is out there in the AFC that is far better than us with Mathis?

Of course, I am pessimistic and predicting 8-8 because the coaching is a joke and we just lay down and die every December, but statistically what team is far and away better in the AFC? Peyton started fading last year and the Broncos took a step back. The AFC West has no juggernauts. The Colts are good but not world beaters. The North has some solid play but no one remarkable.

Really, on paper I think we are Superbowl contenders with Mathis. If you have a chance at it, you go for it. Aside from the Pats, not many teams stay strong year after year in this league. You see your chance and you go for it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:46 pm »

On paper, I honestly 100% think Miami is the best team in the AFC.
On paper, the Eagles were 100% the best team in the NFL a couple of years back, and they ended up sucking.

It's all about gelling and coaching once you have the pieces in place.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »

On paper, I honestly 100% think Miami is the best team in the AFC.
On paper, the Eagles were 100% the best team in the NFL a couple of years back, and they ended up sucking.

It's all about gelling and coaching once you have the pieces in place.

That is a bit much. While Suh helps the defense he isn't going to solve all of their problems. I still see only 1 proven CB and 1 proven (healthy) safety on this roster. The secondary to me is a bit of a mess. The linebackers are nothing special at all. On offense the 2 guards can cripple this team offensively in many ways. Turner has had a horrible camp so far (Suh or not, the kid is in way over his head)....we know what Thomas is....and Douglas has been just ok (which is good for us, but not good for a team who wants to make the playoffs.) God forbid we get one injury on this o-line to Albert, Pouncey, or James as we have zero depth at all. Even if they sign Mathis they are one injury away from being a bad o-line again. Factor in we have a below average to maybe bad head coach and a shaky kicker....and I don't see how we are the best team in the AFC let alone a Top 3 team in the AFC.

From the sounds of it the secondary issue may be sorted out with Taylor playing well so far in camp and McCain being ok. The linebackers to me are a huge question mark and there ain't nothing that can fix Philbin.  This team on paper is a proven vet Guard and a couple guys stepping up away from being very good. But 1 or 2 injuries at key positions and this house of cards crumbles and this is a bad team.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2015, 06:32:39 pm »

I think it's a combo of things going right for us and who is really better in the AFC? The AFC is weak, the Pats essentially had a bye into the Superbowl with the Colts shaming themselves in the AFC Championship game, cheating with the balls or not.

So, who can Miami NOT beat? Who would be a shocking upset?

Like we agree on, things need to go right and Philbin sucks and all that, but on paper, who is clearly better and without major problems?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray