Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:08:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Maine's World Series re-cap and thoughts.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Maine's World Series re-cap and thoughts.  (Read 2219 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:32 am »

I had to stay silent through this series.

I'm a massive Tito guy.

I'm a massive Theo guy.

Almost half of the Cubs pitching staff brought the Red Sox a title.  One of their cornerstone players (Rizzo) should have never been traded, a move Theo would have never made (hence why he immediately went out and got him when he got to Chicago).

Cleveland also has players who brought the Sox rings; Nap, Coco, Miller.

On top of THAT I know what it's like to have my heart stomped on.  Bucky f'n Dent; Bill Buckner, Aaron f'n Boone.  Both of these teams have massive heartache; the Indians blowing WS games, the Cubs blowing NCLS leads / games.

This WS was, I thought, a no-win for me. 

As the home run sailed into the stands last night, I jumped out of my seat, screaming as though the Dolphins just kicked the winning SB field goal as time expired.  As the rain delay kicked in I sat back and smiled thinking "of course; the baseball Gods don't want this to end either."  And then as Bryant, who is a freaking stud, threw that last out to the (should be Red Sox) Rizzo I jumped out of my chair again...this time wiping tears away from my face.

Anyone watching me would have thought one of two things:

1:  I was nuts (this one is true) or;
2:  I am deeply devoted to both teams.

My baseball talk here has trailed off.  I know, my bad.  The long timers here know my history, my love of this game.  I've seen a thing or two.  I've never seen a more exciting game in my life.  Yes, there may have been some very exciting MOMENTS.  And, for me, personally exciting moments. 

Last night was the most exciting baseball game I've ever watched in my life.

I'm heartbroken for Tito. This is a man who I feel is *the* best manager in baseball and could get the proverbial blood from a rock.  I'm equally heartbroken for Cleveland, it's players; the city.  Aaron Boone, Bucky Dent, etc?  I don't know if those now compare to 3-1, 10th inning, 8-7, loss at home.

I'm so very excited for Theo.  In my opinion - punch this man's ticket for the HOF now.  Many on the outside have *no clue* how Theo built the Boston title.  He was masteful in building '04 (and '07). The one in Chicago done from the ground-up.  He had to bring the Cubs to a really dark place first. You end the suffering in Boston AND Chicago?  You're in the Hall of Fame.  Size his jacket now.

Lester should still be Boston's ace.  He didn't want to leave, not one fan in Boston wanted him to go.  He's in Chicago now and, clearly, it was meant to be - and look at him now.  Good on you. 

Every person the camera focused on was crying.  I remember that feeling.  It never goes away.  This is special.  The fans of Chicago - I feel really good for.  I know the feeling.

This is a really dark, weird time.  For the country, for the world.  Seven glorious nights, if you chose, the Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs took us to away from all of that, to a field of dreams.  I'm not ready for it to be over.

Congratulations, Cubs.  Well done.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:27:22 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:28:11 am »

Last night was the most exciting baseball game I've ever watched in my life.

I'm so very excited for Theo.  In my opinion - punch this man's ticket for the HOF now.  Many on the outside have *no clue* how Theo built the Boston title.  He was masteful in building '04 (and '07). The one in Chicago done from the ground-up.  He had to bring the Cubs to a really dark place first. You end the suffering in Boston AND Chicago?  You're in the Hall of Fame.  Size his jacket now.
Outside of being skewed by having personal connections to another game ... I think this statement is true about most baseball fans. I was more excited when the Braves beat Cleveland and won the WS in 1995 but this was easily a much better game. I can't think of one thing that would have made it better.  You couldn't have scripted a better ending to the Cubs WS drought.

As well ... I not only think Theo is HOF worthy but he's got to be one of the best of the best executives of all time. It's hard to beat bringing not one, but two long suffering franchises back to the top of the game.

Congrats to the Cubs and their fans on an outstanding job! I am absolutley thrilled  to have been able to witness it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:45:46 am »

To reiterate a point you made here about how Theo and company built the Cubs,I think it might have been Andrew Abrahamson. (gist of it) The Cubs have hit on their farm system, most top farm systems don't...

Yeah,Theo didn't draft all these guy,but made trades for these young guy's that came up to be  a big part of this team.(Or stuck with some guys,IE  Contreras,and Baez.

A really good interview with John Lester (and David Ross) after game 5 in Wrigley,on MLB tonight.They asked Lester,So what is it about David Ross,that you're so comfortable with him.He talked abut having Jason Varitek as his catcher,and it was Yes sir,and throw it,it wasn't shaking him off.Then He credited Mike Napoli,and David Ross,as people that taught him how to pitch,etc...

I knew certain names players,etc,and The 3 teams Boston, Chicago,and Cleveland connections in this series,but it was that interview really brought it together.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »

So Theo can basically write his own salary now, right?  When is his contract up with CHC?

Watching my favorite team lose Game 7 of the World Series... in extra innings... TWICE... is not really a great experience.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:08:55 pm »

Are you an Indians fan?  How did I not know that?

Theo is in the last year of an 18.5 / 5 right now.  Watch for Chicago to unload every penny to keep him, it may not be enough. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 12:18:38 pm »

Umm Theo Signed a 5 year Extension earlier this yr Late September....(just under like 48 million,puts it over 50 with incentives...Which I'm pretty sure he hit lastnight)

A few days later we locked up Jed Hoyer,and Jason McLeod
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/cubs-sign-theo-epstein-to-five-year-extension.html

So 5 years from now,yeah he can do whatever he wants...

Great article On Theo,and his time in Boston,and how he left,etc...
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17588399/theo-epstein-mastermind-cubs-season?appsrc=sc&appsrc=sc
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:20:46 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »

Are you an Indians fan?  How did I not know that?
I don't care a whole lot about baseball, but yes.  I'm an Indians fan stretching back to the Joe Carter days.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:58 pm »

The statement by announcers that "you hate to see either of these teams lose" gets overused now a days, BUT for the sports fans outside of Cleveland & Chicago this truly was a game where you hated to see either team lose.  Both teams never gave up and kept fighting right down to the last out.  Most exciting game since the Great Bucky Dent hit his only homer of the year; and Reggie Jackson with multiple homers against the Dodgers.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 01:49:41 pm »

Theo has broken the two biggest curses in baseball.  Maine, you're right about fitting him for his HOF bust right now.  At this point, he is the hottest GM in baseball and the Cubs would be wye to extend his contract and include a nice raise. 

This Cubs team has a boatload of young talent.  If Ricketts can keep them locked up, there's no telling how many titles they can win.  They will contend for years

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray