Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:31:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Random Draft Musings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Random Draft Musings  (Read 3635 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:13 am »

As impressed as I was with the 49ers draft in general, I think they have done just as well in the UDFA signings. They got what I felt were three of the best of the undrafted, S Lorenzo Jerome, OG/OT Erik Magnuson and WR KD Cannon.

Lots of new young talent for a roster that needs it badly, a young HC and GM in secure 6-year contracts, extra draft capital for next year and a slew of quality QBs, both rookies and FAs, just around the corner in 2018.

It's easy for a fan to start getting a little optimistic here. Wink

Funny how you and I seem to think along the same lines much of the time.  I was all over Lorenzo Jerome before the draft.  He and Brendan Langley were my two favorite small school guys going into this draft.  I would have loved to have seen them both in Dolphins camp. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:17 pm »

As impressed as I was with the 49ers draft in general, I think they have done just as well in the UDFA signings. They got what I felt were three of the best of the undrafted, S Lorenzo Jerome, OG/OT Erik Magnuson and WR KD Cannon.

49ers released Cannon after just one weekend of non-contact drills. Why did they ever give an undrafted guy any guaranteed money?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 04:26:53 pm »

Yeah, I heard he was lazy, and had a crappy "entitled" attitude during the first few days of rookie camp. Man, if having to work your way up from undrafted status isn't enough to make ya hungry and working hard, what will?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »

The money won't count against the cap,as he will not be one of the 53 highest paid.  So although a waste of cash it doesn't hurt the team.  And it is not unusual for UDFAs to get that kind of money.  Otherwise they could spend two months basically working for free.

Doesn't say much about Cannon, but can't fault the niners.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 09:15:48 am »

^^^ OK, but all players are given a per diem during the offseason as NFL contracts are paid only during the 17 week season. So, other than the signing bonus Cannon got, he still isn't going to see his paycheck for a while. In a case like this where he was cut so quickly, I doubt he isn't going to make another roster. I wonder if he gets one check or if he has to get 17 installments?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 10:39:31 am »

The per diam in the off season is peanuts. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 11:45:28 am »

Peanuts to a football player's salary but definitely a livable wage for most people and more than many make.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 09:43:00 pm »

He is a Jet now.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray