Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:52:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Is anyone going to watch Mayweather vs. McGregor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Is anyone going to watch Mayweather vs. McGregor?  (Read 4943 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:46 am »

I will be backtracking on my previous statements and will be watching the fight, I am still standing firm and will not be spending any money on it though. I have a friend who hosts a number of large events/parties (every Super Bowl, numerous fights, etc.) and this will be his last bash as he is moving. This is the only reason I have for going to watch this fight as I don't expect it to be very entertaining.

Is anyone else getting it our going somewhere to watch? What are your expectations?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:30:13 am »

No plans to watch it...my interest in boxing fell bigly when the heavyweight division died, and I've never had any real interest in MMA.

If I were tossing a blind buck at a wager, I'd say Mayweather in a KO or TKO within the first 3 rounds.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:35:13 am »

Just out of curiosity ... who is the favorite to win?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 12:44:26 pm »

Heavy betting is on McGregor. I've seen Vegas could be in trouble with the payouts if he can win. I've got to think that is just on the odds though. I think Mayweather has to be the favorite personally.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:28 pm »

I wouldn't pay for it, and don't know of any friends that would bother paying for it either.  Maybe I'll check around to see what bars in the area may have it on.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »

I just saw a report that Mayweather has been hanging out in a strip club until the early morning hours this week. Sounds like that could be a mistake to me but then again who knows. He isn't scheduled to fight until 9 (I bet at least 30 mins after that before a punch is thrown) and he doesn't drink so I guess he can still be getting plenty of rest.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:53:28 pm by Phishfan » Logged
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »

Nope...I don't even know anyone that is planning to watch it....I even gave up trying to watch the Klitschko's fight... Undecided

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:57:45 pm »

From the numbers released yesterday it shattered the ALL TIME Pay Pay View Record for a fight getting over 6.5 million buys. Which on Pay Per View is an insane number.  Beat the old pay per view record by two million.

This was one of those one events that captures the public to where even non-sports fans wanted to see it and be a part of the spectacle. And the numbers back that up. Kudos to all involved who put on this entertaining fight, a fun night of fights, and gave the public what they wanted and made a lot of money in the process.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 05:11:15 pm »

I think that fights like this are ultimately bad for combat sports.  It's a circus atmosphere, but it doesn't do anything to promote the sport of boxing or MMA. 

Where does McGregor go from here?  Back to a regular contract with the UFC?  For what?

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 05:19:39 pm »

Why do you think it didn't promote the sport of boxing?

- It was literally the biggest PPV fight of all time.
- There were several up-and-coming boxers on the undercard that got some exposure.
- Boxing proved that a top MMA fighter couldn't just step in and win (just as MMA proved when the roles were reversed).
- The main event itself was generally entertaining and exciting for casual viewers.

I can't see any reason why this fight wasn't SIGNIFICANTLY better for boxing than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, which was the previous record-holder.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »

I don't think that these big PPV fights promote the sport of boxing.  It promotes the celebrity, the circus, the carnival-barking, etc.  But I don't see anyone that wanted to watch that fight with any interest in the sport outside of that one fight.  It creates an atmosphere where these fighters are going to make more money by leaving their respective organizations, making a bunch of noise, creating gimmick fights, and then collecting a paycheck that doesn't further the sport itself.

It's my love/hate with Dana White.  UFC, in my opinion, would do better to legitimize itself and try to become the next NFL than to hype up two meatheads to fight each other at the weigh in, like goddamn WWE.  It's a short-sided promotion.  ...gets people hyped for the fight in front of them, but de-legitimizes the sport as human cockfighting.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »

I think that objection is more against the sport of boxing as a whole.  At a casual spectator level, boxing is and always has been about the spectacle of This Guy vs. That Guy.  Outside of the Olympics, there isn't laundry to root for in boxing like there is in team sports, so it's necessarily about the competitors.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:03 pm »

- Boxing proved that a top MMA fighter couldn't just step in and win (just as MMA proved when the roles were reversed).

How is this news?  And in other News: Tom Brady can throw a football better than LaBron James and Tiger Woods can hit a golf ball further than Micheal Phelps.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »

Over half a billion dollars says that it is, in fact, news.  Because there were a lot of people buying the fight and/or betting on McGregor who thought that the MMA fighter could win.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »

Over half a billion dollars says that it is, in fact, news.  Because there were a lot of people buying the fight and/or betting on McGregor who thought that the MMA fighter could win.

People we're buying $20 powerball tickets....that didn't mean they thought he was going to win.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray