Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:21:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Bring or Buy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bring or Buy?  (Read 1373 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: August 31, 2017, 11:16:00 am »

Break off from movie pass thread.

When you go to movies, amusement park, circus, concert, sporting event, etc do you bring food and drinks or buy there?  I almost always bring.  It is a bit more inconvenient post 911 and aurora as security can be a bit more thorough than before, but typically a claim of food allergy or religious dietary restriction will allow an exception.  I will buy some food there.  If I go to an amusement park I will bring morning snacks and lunch but buy afternoon snacks and drinks.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:42:43 am »

Movies: About 50/50...sometimes I bring the chomps, sometimes I'll pay concession prices.
Amusement park: Been so long since I've been to one (over 25 years) that I have to put "N/A" for this one.
Circus: I try to trap and eat at least one clown when I go to the circus.
Concert: I am usually rocking out so hard that I don't even think about eating.
Sporting event: I'm all about the ballpark food...even as overpriced as it usually is.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:21 pm »

Movies: I'll bring my flask sometimes. It's also a mixed bag on if I even partake in any concessions at all (other than a bottle of water which I always have). I would only consider popcorn (I don't do much candy) and most of the time I just go without anyway.

Amusement park: I do not take anything in. I don't want to carry that stuff around all day. I may eat one small meal inside but beverages are necessary while inside.

Circus: I would never go (unless we count Cirque du Soleil)

Concert: Definitely not eating and will have drinks beforehand so that I can limit having drinks inside

Sporting event: I eat beforehand. For football games tailgating is necessary (as was Orlando City games before the new stadium). Much like a concert I have some beers beforehand so I limit how many I would have inside.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:04:21 pm »

Cry I must say reading this thread,and and responses REALLY makes me miss the drive in when we'd load up the vehicle wit a bunch of people,a cooler,and popcorn... Cheesy Grin

Movies- Last time I went was 4yrs ago yesterday (for My Mom's B-day),and we got complimentary water after seeing the prices.Mom screamed about we used to get small drink & popcorn and got FREE refills back in the day.(making us both feel old,because that was before the college age kid behind the counter was born... Cheesy Undecided Embarrassed )

Amusement park- Been 20 years since I went to Silver Dollar city, we ate at silver dollar city,bur when Used to also go to local establishments in Branson,afterward also.

** At the Local/State fair - 5+ years ago I went, We had some of the more exotic fair food,but generally not a whole meal.It's a special, 1 time of the year thing....

Circus- I'm not allowed to go my family thinks I might run off with them...

Sporting event- I've only been to a few,and we got something to eat, every time...

Concert- Alcohol back in the day? Food never that I can think of....My 1st music festival,we did bring stuff,and ate there....

Other
4th of July festivities (Fire fall,big all day concert,fireworks store we'd treat like the drive in movies.)

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »

Circus- I'm not allowed to go my family thinks I might run off with them...

My family actually forced me to go to every circus that came around, hoping that I would run off with them...   Cry

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:11 pm »

Amusement park: I do not take anything in. I don't want to carry that stuff around all day. I may eat one small meal inside but beverages are necessary while inside.

Carrying has a lot to do with why we tend to do morning snacks rather than afternoon.  A couple of granola bars don't weigh that much.  But even more than saving money it saves time.  Rather than stand in line to buy food we just eat in line for the next ride, which also cuts down on line boredom. Carrying a full days worth of drinks would be super heavy, but a refillable water bottle works great and can be refilled at a water fountain. If I use a liter and half bottle I tend to refill it on the same schedule as emptying my bladder, if I use a smaller one it is lighter but I need to look for a water fountain more often.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »

I hate paying for overpriced food that doesn't taste good, so I tend to eat good before hand to avoid paying inside. Unfortunately have to pay for the overpriced beer.  Sometimes I'll bring food in if it's an all day event and it's convenient, other times just have to bite the bullet and buy food there.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:01:26 pm »

We have Disney World annual passes, which make for a pretty good weekend for not a bunch of money.  But food is a killer, especially with kids.  I don't mind paying for us to go out to dinner, but paying for your kids to graze and want a snack throughout the day is absolutely brutal.

I've done it all ways -- from packing my entire food for the entire day to paying for it, and the sweet spot is to pack things to ensure that you aren't hungry or thirsty.  So, I pack PB sandwiches and dry snacks for the kids to eat in lines.  Then, we can decide to stop and get a proper dinner, but it isn't because we're starving and out of options.  I also usually freeze and bring a bunch of gatorade bottles that I wheel around in the stroller.

For movies, I will sometimes bring in a thing, but I'm not the kind of person that needs to eat or drink during a movie, so often I'll just do without entirely.  If my wife goes, she will order popcorn and I just have to be okay with that.

I drink your milkshake!
dolanroi

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 05:18:19 am »

I don't usually eat inside a movie house. And I eat before going to an amusement park. Will just buy snacks inside if I'm hungry.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray