Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:43:19 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL Hall of Fame nominees - Looks like a strong class!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFL Hall of Fame nominees - Looks like a strong class!  (Read 2158 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:16:42 am »

Who gets in and who doesn't? The election for the class of 2018 will be held Feb. 3, the day before the Super Bowl. There is no set number of new enshrinees, but the Committee’s current ground rules do stipulate that between four and eight new members will be selected each year.  Every candidate must receive at least 80 percent approval of the 48 member Committee at the annual meeting before he can be elected. The Committee consists of one media representative from each pro football city. There are 16 at-large selectors, all of whom are also active members of the media including one representative of the Pro Football Writers of America, and two members of the Hall of Fame.

- initial year of eligibility who made this cut are Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Brian Urlacher, Richard Seymour, Steve Hutchinson and Ronde Barber

- Four previously eligible players made the semifinals for the first time: LeRoy Butler, Leslie O'Neal, Simeon Rice and Everson Walls.

-Already chosen as finalists are Bobby Beathard as a contributor, and Robert Brazile and Jerry Kramer as senior candidates.

- other semifinalists are Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Isaac Bruce, Roger Craig, Brian Dawkins, Alan Faneca, Torry Holt, Joe Jacoby, Edgerrin James, Ty Law, John Lynch, Kevin Mawae, Karl Mecklenburg, Terrell Owens and Hines Ward.

- Two coaches, Don Coryell and Jimmy Johnson, made the cut.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:10:26 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:35:34 am »

That's a strong class, no question.

It seems unthinkable that Ray Lewis won't be a first ballot HOF'er (despite the off-the-field issue). I wouldn't mind if Urlacher joined him, but I don't see both of them making it this year.

The glut at WR continues. Personally, I'd let both Hines Ward and TO in, but you never know. At some point I'd expect the star receiver of the Greatest Show on Turf to get in (Bruce), but in my book TO and Ward should get in ahead of him and I doubt they'd put all three in. At least there are no new receivers, but even TO is taking a lot of flack for having been let go by numerous teams and having too many so-so seasons. Can't say I agree with that line of reasoning, but it could mean waiting yet another year. The other Greatest Show on Turf member, Torry Holt, will likely be a pass again this year.

Considering the strong class, I don't see John Lynch making the cut.

Will this be the year Edgerrin James makes it? 50/50 in my book.

I'd put Dawkins in as the safety over Atwater.

Ty Law doesn't belong in the Hall, IMHO, but 3 rings will probably get him there one year. Not this year, though.

Another 3-ringer is OT Joe Jacoby. This year could be his year, although Faneca could get the spot over him.

If ever a center deserved a HOF spot, it's Mawae, but it might not be this time around.

My best guesses for the final 2019 HOF Class (players only):

Ray Lewis
Hines Ward
Tony Boselli
Brian Dawkins
Kevin Mawae
Joe Jacoby
Jerry Kramer
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:04:33 am »

WR is interesting Moss isn't just better than Owens and Ward he is one of the two best of all time.  Be interesting to see if they go by who is best or who has been waiting longer.

Not surprisingly I am rooting for both Law and Seymour.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:56 am »

No doubt Moss was a freak above the rest.

I could see

Ray Lewis
Randy Moss
Jerry Kramer
Kevin Mawae
Karl Mecklenburg
Terrell Owens
Jimmy Johnson
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:22:40 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:53:19 pm »

Not sure how I overlooked Moss... Must be that glut at receiver ;-)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:42:46 pm »

Only way Moss doesn't get in is to make a political statement.

Out of that group, I'd put in:

Lewis
Moss
Urlacher
Owens
Coryell

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 05:55:54 pm »

Only way Moss doesn't get in is to make a political statement.
What the heck kind of political statement would that be?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:18 pm »

Although you had insane skills HOF players don't quit on teams.  And Randy quit on every team he played for.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 02:56:25 am »

Really strong class to pick from. This is the sort of year they should really just agree to take the full quota, as it's not going to get any easier down the track...

Ray Lewis, Randy Moss & Brian Urlacher should be first year inductees, Ronde Barber, Bobby Beathard & Jimmy Johnson would be right in the running too, maybe Richard Seymour an outside chance.

Don Coryell & Roger Craig should have already been in the HOF before now, how many more chances do they get before they are left waiting to (maybe) be chosen as a senior candidate well down the track if someone old enough remembers them? Joe Jacoby is in the same boat, although I can see Alan Faneca being picked before him.

No way Hines Ward or TO (or any other receiver for that matter) should go in before Randy Moss, but it may happen because of the political reasons outlined by Hoodie.  I think John Lynch may be a stronger chance than Steve Atwater or Brian Dawkins (fair odds that one of them will go in this year), but then again who knows how they will sort this out?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:57 am »

Although you had insane skills HOF players don't quit on teams.  And Randy quit on every team he played for.
True

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 10:08:50 am »

I hear he wants to tear down the electronic banking community and just go straight cash, homey...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 01:37:38 pm »

I hear he wants to tear down the electronic banking community and just go straight cash, homey...

Well played, sir, well played.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 05:10:54 pm »

My picks:

Randy Moss
Roger Craig
Joe Jacoby
John Lynch
T.O. (unless he starts complaining, then they will pass him over again)

Don "air" Coryell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray