Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Coaches Poll - Is it OK for coaches to lie/fib about contact from other schools?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Is it OK for coaches to lie/fib about contact from other schools?
No. Complete honesty is expected   -0 (0%)
Yes. The coach has to protect the team in case it doesn't work out and they end up staying   -5 (55.6%)
Possibly but it depends on the situation.   -3 (33.3%)
It's complicated and I'm really not sure.   -1 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Coaches Poll - Is it OK for coaches to lie/fib about contact from other schools?  (Read 3719 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:00 am »

Is it OK for coaches to lie/fib about contact from other schools? With exceptions like the case of Scott Frost and Nebraska/UCF ... I think that most of the time it hurts the current situation if you admit you're looking at possibly bailing on the team. As well, in most cases I think if you stay it's almost impossible to repair trust after you admit you were thinking of leaving.

With that said I think in most cases it is better to deny anything but I'm not naive enough to think that is always the best answer.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:35 am »

Coach is like any other employment, you are fully committed to the long term success of your employer, up until the second you give notice. 

Nobody tells their boss they are taking time off from work to go to a job interview, they lie about a dentist appointment.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:22:15 pm »

Yeah, you lie about it and that's fine -- well, maybe lie isn't the right word, but you withhold the truth, for sure.  You don't tell your job that you're looking for another job in lots of cases....nothing wrong with that.

I think it should be coach policy all around the country to not discuss any possibility of hire or employment, ever -- positive or negative.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:59:03 pm »

There are certainly situations where a coach must lie, or it becomes a storm of conjecture.  However, the people that are mistreated due to the lie have every right to be pi$$ed and hold a grudge against that person.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:21 pm »

absolutely you have to lie through your teeth, how is there any other option?  Do you tell your boss that you're looking for a better job?  hell no!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

absolutely you have to lie through your teeth, how is there any other option?  Do you tell your boss that you're looking for a better job?  hell no!
What about when Saban lied to Miami when he took the Alabama job?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »

What about when Saban lied to Miami when he took the Alabama job?

It was a must lie situation for him.  And I will hate him until the day he dies; and root against any team he ever coaches.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:24:58 pm »

I really didn't have an issue with Saban. He tried the NFL and realized it wasn't for him or his family. It's not like he left to coach the Bills or even the Texans for that matter. He left the whole entire league behind to establish himself as one of the greatest college coaches in history.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 10:50:50 am »

Saban's mistake was to lie when he didn't have to.  He gave the media a soundbyte that was used against him and he seemed upset all the time that anyone would even ask.

He should just say "I'm happy coaching this team and my plan is to focus on our playoff run.  I'll address my long-term future after the season."  And just shut down any conversation with that same, boring, canned line.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:11:04 am »

I don't know why coaches don't simply say, "I don't discuss contract status in the media."  If you're consistent about it, it reveals no information.

Of course, if you're the kind of coach who wants to be able to lobby for a new contract through the media in the future, that's a drawback.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:22:34 pm »

And just shut down any conversation with that same, boring, canned line.

I see you attended the Bill Belichick school of media relations.

I agree with you and Spider.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray