Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:40:36 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Net Neutrality Act repealed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Net Neutrality Act repealed  (Read 7703 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »

Around 90% of Americans agree that there should be universal background checks on gun purchases.

That should tell you how much "the vast majority of Americans agree" means; i.e. nothing.
Bwahahahahah...

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »

Here's a great video from Burger King (?!) explaining Net Neutrality in a way that is more easily understood by people who are unfamiliar with what Net Neutrality really means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltzy5vRmN8Q

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »

It is a crazy world when a hamburger joint has the best political ad of the year.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 05:11:51 pm »

But nothing has happened. It's like complaining about the sky falling. Until it actually happens it just sounds really stupid.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:04 pm »

If you have Netflix, you are already paying more.  Netflix has raised their prices several times since paying off Comcast.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 10:36:58 pm »

haha ... Netflix raised their price by $1 a month and $2 if you have the premium plan and I don't think it had anything to do with net neutrality. They hadn't raised prices in 2 years. My other utilities are going up much more often. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 05:32:27 am »

You said "nothing has happened."  I gave you an example of a company directly affected by net neutrality - in fact, maybe the MOST affected - who had raised their streaming prices once ever, and has raised them multiple times since making Comcast a net neutrality-related payout.  What, exactly, would you accept as evidence that something has happened?

And again, you're saying that you don't see any proof that this is terrible... but what is the logic in favor of net neutrality?  Why do you, personally, support repealing it?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:35:48 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 08:40:35 am »

And again, you're saying that you don't see any proof that this is terrible... but what is the logic in favor of net neutrality?  Why do you, personally, support repealing it?

Are there more than 2 Democrats on the other side of the argument? Surely that is reason enough!

Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 11:48:57 am »

You said "nothing has happened."  I gave you an example of a company directly affected by net neutrality - in fact, maybe the MOST affected - who had raised their streaming prices once ever, and has raised them multiple times since making Comcast a net neutrality-related payout.  What, exactly, would you accept as evidence that something has happened?

I'm not sure how you say the $1 raise is due to net neutrality. They raised the price after 2 years ... a time where many other utility companies were already raising prices.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 12:32:20 pm »

^ Why are you defending this?

They removed a protection that allows them to screw you.   Why are you content with this?  Hoping they won't screw you?  What possible political motivation do you have to be OK with this?  Is it because you support Trump?

I mean...there's no possible way to think this is a good idea. 

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 12:35:00 pm »

Netflix has raised the price twice since paying off Comcast in 2014.

And the primary objection to repealing net neutrality is that it will increase prices because content providers like Netflix will have to pay protection money to ISPs like Comcast in order to keep their product from being slowed down... which is literally what already happened before net neutrality was enacted.  What more proof do you want?

But again, that's not even the question I'm asking you.  Why do you, personally, support repealing net neutrality?  What do you believe is the benefit for Americans in doing so?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:38:33 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 12:46:23 pm »

^ Why are you defending this?

They removed a protection that allows them to screw you.   Why are you content with this?  Hoping they won't screw you?  What possible political motivation do you have to be OK with this?  Is it because you support Trump?

I mean...there's no possible way to think this is a good idea. 

They weren't screwing us before NN was signed into law.  Why would they do it after?  The NN Act was just another example of the government sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. 

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 12:53:44 pm »

FWIW Gov. Cuomo signed an executive order this week stating that if any ISP's want a contract with the State of New York that they must abide by the Net Neutrality Act.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 01:02:37 pm »

They weren't screwing us before NN was signed into law.  Why would they do it after?  The NN Act was just another example of the government sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. 

You're not answering the question, it seems.   Your best position is that they might not screw us.  There is a law that doesn't let them screw us.  Why would you be against that?

And, for what it's worth, they ABSOLUTELY will charge you more.  That's why they lobbied so hard for it.  These telecom companies aren't pushing super hard to kill NN just so they can do what they were already doing.

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 01:58:43 pm »

Wow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray