Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:42:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  NFL draft winners and losers: What grade did Dolphins get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NFL draft winners and losers: What grade did Dolphins get?  (Read 964 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »

From the Omar Kelly file:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-omar-kelly-s-team-by-team-2018-nfl-draft-report-card-20180429-photogallery.html

I only post this cause this guy seems to take pride in just knocking the organization when ever he gets the chance.  Believe me, I've been frustrated with them MANY a time over the years and can be critical as well, but can you at least them a little credit with this draft class (at least on the surface)?

Kelly grades them out as a C+, which is ludicrous.  The team got some playmakers and definitely speed with this class. 

His hot take:
"Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick was one of the six top-shelf prospects in the draft, so landing him with the No. 11 pick was impressive. Taking Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki in the second round will be the second-guess special of this draft, especially if he doesn’t learn how to become a respectable blocker. He will forever compared to Dallas Goedert, who was taken seven picks later by the Eagles. If Gesicki and linebacker Jerome Baker can’t become respectable starters in their first two seasons, this draft will be a disappointment."

I can honestly say this is the 1st draft in a long, long time where I recognized the 1st 4-5 picks on the board, saw them in play college and knew what they were capable of.

Omar is an antagonist for the sake of being an antagonist Must be hard going thru life like this.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:00 pm »

Omar is an antagonist for the sake of being an antagonist Must be hard going thru life like this.
It seems like that sometimes but I don't think he always is. He is on 560 quite often so I hear his full opinion a lot of the times and he seems to be pretty level headed. Other than wanting a back-up to challenge Tannehill he doesn't hate on him ... which would be easy to do.

I've seen a lot of people grade our draft as a C and most of it relies the fact we didn't take a QB in the draft. Everyone's favorite draft guru (try saying that with a straight face) Mel Kiper gave them a C+ as well. Considering anyone we chose would sit all year I'm not sure how that weighs on this years record but people seem to think it does.

The comparisons of Mike Gesicki and Dallas Goedert will be forever linked just like Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold or even Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. When one is genrally ranked higher than the one selected people are always going to question and compare.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:48:39 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:15:29 pm »

The comparisons of Mike Gesicki and Dallas Goedert will be forever linked just like Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold or even Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. When one is genrally ranked higher than the one selected people are always going to question and compare.

This is true, if the Dolphins fail with this pick, it go back to "why didn't you take Dallas Goedert when you had the chance"

Yes, Philly has had a great history of taking really good TE's, but what's not to say if MIA does take Dallas Goedert and then Philly takes Gesicki? does Gesicki turn out to be a great pick?

IMO, I always look at the underlying factor for choosing talent:
1.  Did you play at a big time school?
2. Did you play against big time talent?
3. How did you perform against this big talent?

I check the boxes with Gesicki.  Did Dallas Goedert block great against Div I opponents? He might have and prob did, but did go against guys who were gonna make it in the NFL? Prob not.

We'll see how it plays out, but i don't 2nd guess the Phins with taking Gesicki with the 2nd pick for a position that they needed and has been awful since Clay left. 

I'd rather be lucky than good.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:04:30 am »

^^^I think the loss of Dan Campbell as TE's coach has hurt the TE receiving core quite a bit; that and trying to get by with guys at the ends of their careers.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray