Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:04:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The NFL changes kickoff rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Like it
Hate it
Ok but I would make changes
Don't care

Author Topic: The NFL changes kickoff rules  (Read 3409 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:00 pm »

The NFL has completely changed the kickoff rules for the upcoming season. What do you think? If it improves player safety, I think it is great.

1. No running starts before the ball is kicked.

2. The kicking team must line up with five players on each side of the kicker.

3. At least two players on the kicking team must be outside the numbers.

4. At least two players on the kicking team must be between the numbers and the hashmarks.

5. At least eight players on the receiving team must be within 15 yards of their restraining line, which would typically mean between the kicking team’s 45-yard line and the receiving team’s 40-yard line.

6. Until the ball is touched or hits the ground, players on the receiving team can’t cross the restraining line (typically the 45), or initiate a block within 15 yards of the line where the ball is kicked.

7. No wedge blocks.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:06:25 am »

The pussification of the game continues

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:25:24 am »

#6 is the only thing I don't think makes a lot of sense.  Why should my return team have to stand still until the ball's caught while the entire coverage team gets to run down at him?

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:52:47 am »

#6 is the only thing I don't think makes a lot of sense.  Why should my return team have to stand still until the ball's caught while the entire coverage team gets to run down at him?
can't run towards but can run back until ball is caught then forward, which most teams do anyways.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:14:54 am »

I don't know that most return teams are moving forward at that point anyway. The rule is not that they stand still but that they can't go forward. Isn't it more common that they move backwards to set up the return blocks?
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:52:04 pm »

Yeah but you can't initiate a block.  And I have to stay within the 15 yard restraining box.  What the hell good does that do?  That's where it gets confusing.  Even if I retreat, given the fact that most kickers can reach the endzone, about the farthest I can back up until the ball hits the ground or is caught is my own 40 yard line.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:53:33 pm »

I think you are misreading. They do need 8 players in that box at kickoff. There is nothing in the rule stopping them from retreating any distance. Only forward movement.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:57:34 pm »

Ehh...This one I guess I'll have to see it in action, I saw the NFL video tweeted out about...I really don't have an opinion on...

I got a feeling The new lowering the Helmet =ejection rule,a few of our guys aren't gonna be in games very long...***Cough** Cough** T.J. Mcdonald,** Cough* Kiko Alonzo **Cough ** Cough*** Cheesy

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:49 pm »

The pussification of the game continues

I might have thought this way when I was young and didn't use reason before speaking. Player safety needs to taken into consideration here. If trying to limit head injuries is pussification, then pussify away.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:14 pm »

I think this may actual lead to more/better kick-off returns.  Previously it always seemed to end up being a touchback, or the returner runs it out and doesn't even make it to the 25.  Making it so the kicking team can't have a running start will give the receiving team an extra second or two allowing for better kick returns.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 02:49:59 pm »

The only time #6 would be relevant would be onside kicks.  As everybody runs in the opposite direction once the ball is kicked, the only reason they are that close to the line is for onside kicks.

#6 offsets #1.

I don't like #2 and feel it should change to at least 4 and no more than 6.  My favorite onside kick move involves sending out both the kicker and punter and make the receiving team guess who is actually kicking it, with this rule you must declare the kicker.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:35 pm »

These rules are stupid. football is a physical sport and people are going to get hurt and the worst injuries are typically self inflicted like an ACL tear.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:50:17 pm »

Do you really believe an ACL is the worst injury when we live in a world where CTE is causing suicides and murders?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »

Do you really believe an ACL is the worst injury when we live in a world where CTE is causing suicides and murders?

If you care about the game of football (but not the human beings playing it) ACL is worse.  Players miss entire seasons.  CTE is rarely relevant until after the player has retired.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:56 pm »

I'd say people who care about a sport so much that they disregard what happens to the players after would have fit right in watching the gladiators.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray