Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:39:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  WTF is WB doing with DC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WTF is WB doing with DC  (Read 1647 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:29:41 pm »

I think most everyone has been disappointed with all the DC movies with Wonder Woman being the lone exception.  Personally, I liked Man of Steel even though most people hate it.  I read an article that Man of Steel 2 was supposed to make Superman more like how he is supposed to be, a ray of hope and all that jazz, but the studio decided to fast forward to Batman v Superman and reveal his true character in Justice League.  They try to catch up to Marvel in just a couple of years which lead to a rushed story.  If they were smart, they would have drug this out like Marvel did with Thanos.  Maybe not that long, DC seems to have more universe breaking characters with popularity like Darkseid and Braniac, so they could have done it a little quicker, but not this quick.

Now they are introducing DC Dark, a universe not connected to the current DC movies.  There is going to be another Joker (aptly titled "Joker") played by Joaquin Phoenix, and it will be an origin story.  The Batman, a story of a younger Batman, will have a different actor than Ben Afflack, and rumors of a Justice League Dark with characters like Constantine, The Demon and Deadman lead by Batman are a possibility too.  As of right now though, the only sure thing is "Joker".

This is going to be so confusing to the average movie goer.  The only way I see this working is one of two ways:

1.  They are setting up multiple Jokers like in the comics.  Long story short, Batman got to sit in this God Chair that knows everything.  He asked Joker's true name and found out there are not one, but three Jokers.

2.  They are setting up a Crisis of Infinite Earths.  Basically, DC had a bunch of parallel universes, and the higher ups found it confusing for readers so they made this event.  If you don't know this story, here's a short synopsis:
At the start of Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Anti-Monitor (the Monitor's evil counterpart) is unleashed on the DC Multiverse and begins to destroy the various Earths that comprise it. The Monitor tries to recruit heroes from around the Multiverse but is murdered, while Brainiac collaborates with the villains to conquer the remaining Earths. However, both the heroes and villains are eventually united by the Spectre; the series concludes with Kal-L, Superboy-Prime, and Alexander Luthor Jr. defeating the Anti-Monitor and the creation of a single Earth in place of the Multiverse. Crisis on Infinite Earths is infamous for its high death count; hundreds of characters died, including DC icons such as Supergirl and Barry Allen.

So by making a DC Dark universe, they are making parallel universes and will sandwich them all together at some point.

I personally think WB is finding a way to retacon all the terrible decisions they made making all these DC movies.  I think the Flash movie Flashpoint will correct some of this and then they can take characters like Phoenix's Joker and get rid of the shitty Leto version, Affleck can finally stop being Batman, he's gone back and forth so many times about quitting or not.

They need to do something though, these movies have been terrible other than a couple, which is a shame because there is SO MUCH to work with in the DC universe, and it's not all at different studios like Marvel has (Disney has most of the Marvel universe, Sony has Spider-Man, Fox has Fantastic Four and X-Men {not for long though}, etc.).  It should be easy for them to make fantastic movies with source material and they keep shitting the bed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:32:15 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:08:32 am »

I don't hate the DC movies like other people.

I really liked Man of Steel.
I was kinda OK with BvS.  I didn't really like the way they portrayed Luthor...nothing against Eisenberg, it's just that I envision that character very, very differently.  I don't love Gene Hackman, either, though.  I actually like the "Martha" thing that everyone hates.  That scene totally works and makes sense to me.
Suicide Squad was dumbish, but whatever.
I liked Wonder Woman, but didn't love it like everyone else and thought the 3rd act was derivative of everything else.
I watched Justice League at home...pretty much forgot about it by now.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:42 pm »

Thank you Dave, I was getting self-conscious over my comic book movie nerdgasm when no one commented on it all weekend  Cheesy
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:17:27 am »

Yeah, man.  I'm in a weird place with comic book movies.

I watch all of the Marvel movies in the theater.  Every one.  But they aren't movies that I continue to revisit.  I watch them once and always enjoy them and then kinda move on.

I have seen all the DC stuff as well.

For the other "at large" FOX, Sony stuff, I usually wait to hear if people like it and I'll watch in the theater if good or catch it eventually if it's generally poo-pooed.  I took a while to see Fantastic Four and I still haven't seen X-Men Apocalypse.

My thing with all of this is that I don't experience the huge highs/low of everyone else.  I think that Avengers: Infinity War, while an amazing achievement, is actually not an amazing film.  It's fine.  I liked it.  But it's sorta about nothing and when you break it down, it's not really driven by plot or characters.  It's a collection of scenes.

Whereas, I don't hate the ones people hate, either.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:14:31 pm »

With the exception of some of the Batman films,  DC has been hokey. They make good animated films but their live action stuff is way behind. I don't watch any of the TV programs either. I was looking forward to Shazam but the first look I took at the actor in costume killed that.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:39:48 am »

Why can't the DCU make movies more like their animated features?  They've done some great stuff with the Justice League, and their Batman movies are incredible.  I eagerly await anything they put out with Damian Wayne and the Teen Titans.  Their Justice League Dark movie was entertaining too.

Here's a list if anyone is interested:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe

Also, I'm very much looking forward to the new live action Titans series, but I'm cuckoo for anything Teen Titans related.  (except for the terrible, terrible Teen Titans Go cartoon.)  I was overjoyed when I found out Young Justice was getting a 3rd season, as I feel it's the best and most complex animated superhero series I've ever seen.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:38:40 am »

^Also excited about the live action Teen Titans.  Robin is spot on, but I worry about the other characters.  All the DC animated movies you mentioned were good, IMO the two best were
Flashpoint and Suicide Squad. I'm also stoked about Young Justice, was really into the first 2 seasons.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 11:26:04 am »

Titans looks WEIRD to me.  It's like super edgy in the content, but it looks like the WB.  Something isn't gel-ing.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 12:20:37 pm »

Titans looks WEIRD to me.  It's like super edgy in the content, but it looks like the WB.  Something isn't gel-ing.
Everything is edgier these days.  We got Robin saying "fuck Batman", Startrek says fuck now, the newest star trek might be directed by Tarrentino and rated R, Deadpool is edgy... Seems to be the norm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray