Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:37:38 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Draft day from the players' point of view
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Draft day from the players' point of view  (Read 984 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:29 pm »

Hochman and Crowder have been speaking with a lot of former players about their draft day experience.  It's kind of eye opening because to the common man it seems like it should be one of the greatest experiences of their lives when it fact for many it is their greatest disappointment and they still carry that grudge.Teams lie to these players trying to get info on who else is looking at them and so many come away hugely disappointed about where they land. Oddly enough Brady Quinn said he got over it pretty quickly because he was drafted by his boyhood team and still in the first round (after 4 1/2 hours).   

One of the best was hearing from Ronnie Brown who thought for sure his starting teammate, Caddilac Williams, would be selected way before him and yet Nick Saban called him up at #2 in the draft. He didn't believe it was a real call. Cadillac went to Tampa at 5.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 05:40:07 pm »

My guess is about 5% go earlier than they thought, 10% go about where they expected and 85% are disappointed.  Even the guy selected #2 overall can be disappointed if he thinks he is better than #1.  I bet Ryan Leaf thought he should have gone before Manning. And Barkley probably feels pissed Mayfield went before him.

I am sure there are a few guys who go earlier than they expected but that isn’t the norm.  There is at least 4 or 5 guys who feel they deserve the number one pick, only one of them is going to be happy.

Brady Quinn might have gotten over it.  Another QB named Brady still carries grudge and uses proving the doubters wrong as motivation 2 decades and 6 sb wins later.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 06:03:44 pm »

One of the best was hearing from Ronnie Brown who thought for sure his starting teammate, Caddilac Williams, would be selected way before him and yet Nick Saban called him up at #2 in the draft. He didn't believe it was a real call. Cadillac went to Tampa at 5.

I remember that draft.   What I remember most was the look on Aaron Rodgers face as hour after hour passed and he was still in the green room waiting to hear his name called.   Talk about a man whose patience was tried.   He waited for hours to hear his name called, then waited three years before he could get his chance to show what he had.  Now he's one of the top QBs in the league.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray