Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:06:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Fantasy Football software proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Football software proposal  (Read 2306 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: June 08, 2019, 01:41:51 am »

Imagine you are in this scenario.  Your fantasy quarterback you started for that week gets injured on the first drive of the game.

You are in big trouble for your fantasy matchup.

My proposal is a software system that automatically "substitutes" your quarterback's backup into your lineup for the remainder of the game.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:59:14 am »

Imagine you are in this scenario.  Your fantasy quarterback you started for that week gets injured on the first drive of the game.

You are in big trouble for your fantasy matchup.

My proposal is a software system that automatically "substitutes" your quarterback's backup into your lineup for the remainder of the game.

Just the QB? What if your RB gets hurt on his first carry? Or your star Julio Jones WR breaks his clavicle on the opening series. Dear God, man...what if my kicker goes down???

The system you're talking about sounds like a weak variation of what is called "best roster" rules...and it's used in a number of contests, including Footballguys.com. It takes your entire roster, there are no starters or bench, and it counts the highest scoring QB, 2x RBs, 2x WRs, TE, K and D.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 11:05:04 am »

The system you're talking about sounds like a weak variation of what is called "best roster" rules...and it's used in a number of contests, including Footballguys.com. It takes your entire roster, there are no starters or bench, and it counts the highest scoring QB, 2x RBs, 2x WRs, TE, K and D.

I did one of those once. Most of the guys in the group loved the draft, but were too busy/lazy/disinterested in setting rosters, trades etc during the season.  So we had the draft, checked our scores every week and that was it. 

Another variation that I know some software allows, but extremely few leagues ever make use of (and none that I have ever been in) allows you to draft a unit.  So rather than drafting Tom Brady you draft the NE QB.  Another variation allows you to get points for a team category, eg, you get points for how many yards of passing yards the Dolphins have regardless if thrown by the starting QB, backup QB or a RB on a trick play.  The software allows all kinds of variations, it is just folks like the OP that would want such rules are extremely rare.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:39 am »

Another variation that I know some software allows, but extremely few leagues ever make use of (and none that I have ever been in) allows you to draft a unit.  So rather than drafting Tom Brady you draft the NE QB. 

I'm in an IDP league with T-God that uses team QB...it's not a bad rule at all.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »

I'm in an IDP league with T-God that uses team QB...it's not a bad rule at all.

not a fan.  eliminates the fun of drafting Rosen in 14th round if your buddy has Fitz.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:15:09 pm »

As I understand it, in a "team QB" league, you wouldn't be allowed to draft Rosen because your buddy already drafted "Miami QB."
Sunstroke, is that how it works?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 05:03:48 pm »

As I understand it, in a "team QB" league, you wouldn't be allowed to draft Rosen because your buddy already drafted "Miami QB."
Sunstroke, is that how it works?

That's exactly how it works.  So it eliminates the fun of drafting your buddies targeted back up QB.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:51:45 am »

not a fan.  eliminates the fun of drafting Rosen in 14th round if your buddy has Fitz.

A couple of thoughts on this<g>:

1) Unless you're in a 30-team league, your buddy probably didn't draft Fitz to be their starter, and what kind of blue-ribbon goober would block the handcuff to someone's backup QB?

2) If you're drafting Dolphins' backup QBs - for any reason - you've already lost that league.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray