Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:33:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  What makes a franchise quarterback?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What makes a franchise quarterback?  (Read 5815 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: October 04, 2019, 02:19:14 am »

What percentage of his seasons do they have to make the playoffs?

50?  60?  70?  80?

Marino 10/17

Fiedler 2/4

Tannehill 1/7

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:17:58 am »

Percentage of playoffs seasons is not a determining factor in what makes a franchise quarterback.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:03:36 am »

Leadership, If they are able to put the team on their backs more times than not and they make other players look better. Those are the the traits I see in all franchise qbs

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:10:40 pm »

Percentage of playoffs seasons is not a determining factor in what makes a franchise quarterback.

Exactly...those figures are OK to rate how well a team is playing, but until football becomes a 1-on-1 sport, team accomplishments are the entire team's accomplishments.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:16:39 pm »

A franchise quarterback isn't one that's driven by stats. 

Its more like a checkbox.  "OK, that position is taken care of for the next decade....what's next."  It's kind of a "know it when you see it situation."

Philip Rivers is a franchise QB.  They make the playoffs here and there, but they're not consistently in the conversation.  But he's been there holding it down for the long-haul.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 06:03:01 pm »

What percentage of his seasons do they have to make the playoffs?

50?  60?  70?  80?

Marino 10/17

Fiedler 2/4

Tannehill 1/7

Careful D4L, your getting dangerously close to admitting Tom Brady is a franchise QB.   Wink
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 01:36:51 am »

Exactly...those figures are OK to rate how well a team is playing, but until football becomes a 1-on-1 sport, team accomplishments are the entire team's accomplishments.

I used to feel this way until my new direction.

Now, I feel the way the rest of the country does. 

Quarterbacks are what decides who wins and loses games.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 01:42:37 am »

Careful D4L, your getting dangerously close to admitting Tom Brady is a franchise QB.   Wink

Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback who ever lived.

Sure, football is a team game and we could look at some actual numbers.  Or better yet, we could actually watch the games and analyze them, but why do that?

Marino was NOT a great quarterback.  In order to be great, you can't be a failure.  Since Marino never won the Super Bowl, he is a failure.  Therefore, he is not great.

However, great does not mean franchise.

Is making the playoffs in 10 out of seventeen seasons worthy enough to be a franchise quarterback?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 03:42:03 pm »

Tom Brady is probably the only NFL with two complete First ballot hall of fame careers.  Assume for a moment TB retired after his 2008 injury.  Did he accomplish enough for first ballot, MVP, 3SB, SBMVP, only 16-0 season etc.  Yup he gets in first year of eligibility.  Now assume Patriots draft a QB named Tom Brady in 2009.  MVP, 3 SB including greatest comeback in playoff history, Pro Bowl every season etc.  Once again first ballot HoF.

I don't think you can do that with any other player.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 04:26:29 pm »

Tom Brady is probably the only NFL with two complete First ballot hall of fame careers.  Assume for a moment TB retired after his 2008 injury.  Did he accomplish enough for first ballot, MVP, 3SB, SBMVP, only 16-0 season etc.  Yup he gets in first year of eligibility.  Now assume Patriots draft a QB named Tom Brady in 2009.  MVP, 3 SB including greatest comeback in playoff history, Pro Bowl every season etc.  Once again first ballot HoF.

I don't think you can do that with any other player.   

Maybe Manning.

We'd have to define how many seasons make career.

To appreciate Marino's greatness, we'd really need a conversion formula, but that's probably impossible to develop.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »

Maybe Manning.

We'd have to define how many seasons make career.

To appreciate Marino's greatness, we'd really need a conversion formula, but that's probably impossible to develop.

Mannings would get in on his career in Indy but not Denver.  You can pick what ever point you want, not necessarily when he switched teams, just make sure he accomplished enough on both sides of the line to guarantee HoF.

Marino got in on volume stats, cut those in half and he doesn't get nomineed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:02:55 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »

Mannings would get in on his career in Indy but not Denver.  You can pick what ever point you want, not necessarily when he switched teams, just make sure he accomplished enough on both sides of the line to guarantee HoF.

Marino got in on volume stats, cut those in half and he doesn't get nomineed.

I mean cut Manning's career into two halves.  Are each of those halves worthy enough for the HOF?   I say yes.

Stats aren't totally an individual thing, but they are a much better indicator of the quality of a player than a won-loss record.

Also, it does need to be mentioned that there CAN be anomalies.  Brady's record in multi-interception playoff games is well above 500.  It would interesting to compare that to those of the other multi-super bowl quarterbacks (Montana and Bradshaw)

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 02:29:25 am »

Mannings would get in on his career in Indy but not Denver.
Kurt Warner got in, and he didn't have the career in STL that Peyton had in DEN.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 08:41:04 am »

Scott Zolak has a superbowl ring. Is he a better QB than Marino?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 12:59:33 pm »

Scott Zolak has a superbowl ring. Is he a better QB than Marino?

D4L is just trolling. I refuse to believe anyone even remotely capable of putting together two sentences can be that dumb.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray