Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:30:22 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What are you watching? 10/21/2019
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What are you watching? 10/21/2019  (Read 1657 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:35:05 am »

I started my re-watch of the Star Wars saga films.  Saw Episode I, which I just can't get past how bad it is.  Every single scene is undercut with some distracting, unnatural antics, often Jar Jar, but even when he's not in the scene, there is some animal or droid jumping-in to water-down whatever emotion or tension they're trying to build.  And the story itself sucks every bit of stakes out of the situation -- the maguffin doesn't makes sense, the characters often don't affect the plot, and when they do, it's accidentally.  And the execution of things: so many weird line-readings.  Everything feels like they're still working out the delivery.  I'm fascinated by this film -- it's just crazy how terrible it is, despite having a really interesting world and some cool ideas.

I started a Paul Rudd dramady on Netflix called "Living With Yourself", where he unknowingly creates a clone that's the greatest possible version of himself.  It's 8 30-minute episodes, of which I've seen 3.  So far, I am able to see ahead of how it's going, which is causing me a bit of stress.  I'll keep watching.

I am also watching The Crown on Netflix, which is a few years old.  It's phenomenal, but can be pretty dry.  I don't watch it by myself and waiting for my wife to be in the mood for it is making it take longer than it should.  But I love it.

My comfort food show is called "The Great British Baking Show", also on Netflix.  It's a pretty standard reality-style cooking show, except they're British, so a lot of the stuff they're making, and the flavors they're using are foreign to me.  But what makes the show so nice is that they're just not shitty to each other.  The contestants all seem to be good people, supporting each other and doing their best.  The judges are fair and they critique when needed, but they aren't dicks about it.  It makes me feel good to watch it, so I keep it on late at night when I'm browsing the net and stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 11:06:46 am »

Are you up to the Brady cameo?  That is literally all I know about the series.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:31:37 pm »

The Office.

Right up until Netflix pulls it - my answer is going to be the same thing.  Wink

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:12 pm »

It's football season, so most of my TV time is spent watching NFL/College/High School football.

I am really looking forward to watching the new Watchmen series...think the first episode just released.

One other series that looks pretty cool... Treadstone

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:24:44 pm »

Are you up to the Brady cameo?  That is literally all I know about the series.

Yes, that was in the 2nd episode, I think.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:56 pm »

A Ken Burns documentary on country music. Even if you don't like the genre, Burns could pull you in I bet
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 01:03:04 pm »

Since I cut the cord last January I've just been watching over the air TV and Amazon Prime series.  Just finished watching a couple seasons of Bosch, now I'm on to Goliath.  New seasons of Jack Ryan and The Fabulous Mrs. Maisel coming out soon.  For the older generation on here I also watched a couple Rockford Files episodes on Amazon; and OTA I watched a couple episodes of Mannix and Cannon if I'm up late and can't sleep.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:06:23 pm by masterfins » Logged
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:11:46 pm »

On a side note. Comcast just took away TCM channel and moved it to the sports tier. Kind of pissed me off. I don't watch it that often. But out of 300 channels, it was one of the 20 or so that I actually watch sometimes. They did the same thing a few years ago with Spike TV.

If I signed a contract for a certain period of time for a certain amount of money and they remove a channel then they should credit my account for the amount that it would take for me to subscribe to that channel. In this case it's $10 to move to the sports tier. I don't give a shit what they do when my contract is over because I'm free to get programming elsewhere. I'm not a fan of heavy regulations but A la carte programming should be legally addressed along with the Cable Company Monopolies that have been allowed to fester for years.

Rant over, hahaha.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 04:17:00 pm »

I finished "Living With Yourself".  It was fine.  I found that the wife character was unfairly angry all the time.  It was a super weird situation that happened by accident, so a lot of the tension of the show felt misplaced to me.  Especially when she was a dick to the clone.  The ending was cliff-hangery.  I am not compelled to watch more, but maybe I will by the time there's another season.

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 10:41:03 am »

I finished "Living With Yourself" also. I enjoyed it cuz I like Paul Rudd, but it did have it's predictable moments. And I feel there are other items left open IF they decide to do a 2nd season. I read they left it that way to both end the show or have a 2nd season storyline.

I just started watching "Dark". It's slow, but I'm curious so I'll watch it a bit more. Also, finishing up "Cloak and Dagger". It was recently cancelled so I'm curious how bad it gets, but they will appear again in "Runaways" and I want see the purpose of the cross-over. "Runaways" is better IMO.

Thinking of watching "Daybreak". A Ferris Bueller-type zombie show. Any one try it yet?

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray