Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:56:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Scoring or not scoring?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scoring or not scoring?  (Read 1715 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: October 21, 2019, 06:29:31 pm »

Was yesterday a teachable moment?

The Bills player ran back the onside kick for score, but that allowed Miami to get the ball back.

If he had fallen on it, they could have run out the clock.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:46:14 pm »

No teaching needed. Miami had no chance.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:23:44 am »

Nope.  The chances of getting the ball back, scoring a TD, onside kick, and then scoring a FG to tie are infinitesimal. 
And downing the ball is technically not 0%, since the offense could fumble.  Miami can't win the game under either circumstance.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:02 am »

Learning lesson from this week’s games:  If you are trailing by 33 points and the other team purposefully takes a delay of game penalty to give the punter more room, don’t decline the penalty.  And don’t make the same mistake a second time.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:51:12 pm »

Learning lesson from this week’s games:  If you are trailing by 33 points and the other team purposefully takes a delay of game penalty to give the punter more room, don’t decline the penalty.  And don’t make the same mistake a second time.

Unless your objective is to make Belichick smile during a game...   Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 01:21:19 pm »

Unless your objective is to make Belichick smile during a game...   Wink

I am pretty sure that isn't part of the job description for the hc of the Jets

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »

I am pretty sure that isn't part of the job description for the hc of the Jets

No, but it definitely worked... I loved Bill's explanation for that little rule loophole after the game. Give the man credit, nothing gets by him at all.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 07:11:02 pm »

Dave,

In the case yesterday you are right, but not always.

The one I remember most was in the 2010 upset of the Patriots in the playoffs by the Jets.

The Jets had recovered an onside kick with 1:40 left, up by seven.  The Patriots had one timeout.

The Jets broke off a huge run for a touchdown on first down.  If the running back had downed the ball at the one, like he could have.  The Jets could have run out the clock. 

However, the Patriots got the ball back, scored, and the Jets had to recover another onside kick to seal the win.

Only once in NFL history has a team fumbled the ball in victory formation.  Recovered onside kicks happen much more frequently.

To me, it's just a chance to point out that the team comes before the individual.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »

No, but it definitely worked... I loved Bill's explanation for that little rule loophole after the game. Give the man credit, nothing gets by him at all.

Somebody on yahoo said the Jets may have done it on purpose since they were so badly outplayed last night.

It would seem odd to employ that strategy in a blowout.  Why not try it in a close game?

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 02:36:52 am »

If you are winning, I would say don't score and run out the clock.

Tied, it would depend on several factors, like the timeout situation and my opponent.

Losing is much more debatable.

MJD did it against the Jets once.  The Jags were losing 22-21, and the Jets tried to let him score, but he wouldn't.  He knelt down, and the Jags ran the clock out and kicked a field goal to win.

Then, there was the Super Bowl situation in 2011-12.  Eli handed the ball to Bradshaw and yelled at him not to score, but by the time Bradshaw realized it, he could not stop himself.  The Patriots came within inches of converting the hail mary at the end to win it.

In that case, I would take the score.  Especially knowing how kickers often choke against New England, like with Cundiff missing the field the week before.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray