Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:30:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Grier: Dolphins have more than enough ammo to move up in draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Grier: Dolphins have more than enough ammo to move up in draft  (Read 2718 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:54:34 am »

Could just be a smoke screen to keep people from knowing they are going after Tua (or someone else) but it sure seems they have been giving signals they plan on moving up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098661/article/grier-dolphins-have-enough-ammo-to-move-up-in-draft

Dolphins general manager Chris Grier didn't sound worried about a bidding war, noting Wednesday from the Senior Bowl that Miami has "more than enough" ammo to move up in the draft, if needed.

"We'd like to find the right guy to be the quarterback," Grier said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. "You see how important it is around the league. So, I wouldn't just say it's (owner) Steve (Ross). It's Brian (Flores). Myself. Coaching staff. Scouts. We think it's important that we find the right guy, and the leader, to be the quarterback here for a long time."

The Dolphins would like to pair a young QB with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, who Grier said he expects to return in 2020.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:30:22 am »

Miami won't need to move up to get Tua...they can sit at #5 and take him there. Bengals are taking Burrow, #2 Redskins have Haskins that they just drafted, #3 Detroit has Stafford, #4 Giants habve Daniel Jones.

Now, if one of the teams down in the order move up, anything is possible, but as it stands now, they should be able to get their guy without dealing up.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:33:07 am »

We have more ammo than anyone, we just shouldn't use it to move up. If the Bengals had a franchise QB already, the cost of moving up to take Burrow would be AT LEAST every 1st rounder we have in 2020, plus probably a 2nd. The cost of taking Burrow away from the Bengals who desperately want him? Every 1st rounder in 2020, 2021 and then some. It's just not worth it for us and the Bengals don't want to do it. I can't even remember a situation where a team moved up in the draft to take the player that the other team actually wanted to take.

I also hope we don't move up to 3rd and sacrifice draft picks "just in case" some other team wants Tua.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:29 am »

Could just be a smoke screen to keep people from knowing they are going after Tua (or someone else) but it sure seems they have been giving signals they plan on moving up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098661/article/grier-dolphins-have-enough-ammo-to-move-up-in-draft

Dolphins general manager Chris Grier didn't sound worried about a bidding war, noting Wednesday from the Senior Bowl that Miami has "more than enough" ammo to move up in the draft, if needed.

"We'd like to find the right guy to be the quarterback," Grier said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. "You see how important it is around the league. So, I wouldn't just say it's (owner) Steve (Ross). It's Brian (Flores). Myself. Coaching staff. Scouts. We think it's important that we find the right guy, and the leader, to be the quarterback here for a long time."

The Dolphins would like to pair a young QB with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, who Grier said he expects to return in 2020.

So then what in the Hell was the point of trading for Rozen? I'm still scratching my head over that move. Classic Dolphins draft mismanagement.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:57:17 am »

So then what in the Hell was the point of trading for Rozen? I'm still scratching my head over that move. Classic Dolphins draft mismanagement.

Yeah, I can accept that they didn't like what they saw during the games and in practice, but I still felt like they should've given him at least 6 NFL games before pulling the plug.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 11:35:04 am »

File under: things we already knew. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 11:38:04 am »

Miami won't need to move up to get Tua...they can sit at #5 and take him there. Bengals are taking Burrow, #2 Redskins have Haskins that they just drafted, #3 Detroit has Stafford, #4 Giants habve Daniel Jones.

Now, if one of the teams down in the order move up, anything is possible, but as it stands now, they should be able to get their guy without dealing up.

Bengals have said they haven't made up their mind and are open to offers. Miami keeps hinting at moving up. Who knows if both are bluffing or not? I'm with you  on Tua though ... if they want him they will probably be able to get him at 5 but in this QB starved league there is no telling who may move up in front of us to get him or another QB.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 11:39:40 am »

They traded for him and found him wanting. No different than drafting a player to find out he isn't going to work. You don't stop trying to upgrade the position while you hope he grows into it if you don't have to.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:32 pm »

So then what in the Hell was the point of trading for Rozen?

Same point as drafting Isaiah Prince.  It was a mistake. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:12 pm »

I'll keep saying it: Tua being available at 5 is a minor miracle, and the best reasonable outcome given the way this season went.

This seems like a win-win to me: draft Tua at 5 and let him sit for a year.  Either the team makes progress in 2020 or it's another bad season.  If it's REALLY bad you get Lawrence (or trade the pick for a king's ransom); if it's just another top 5 pick then you keep it and build with Tua.

The timing will also line up for Harbaugh to wear out his welcome in Ann Arbor, so Ross can hire the coach he always wanted from the beginning.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 01:15:55 pm »

Bengals have said they haven't made up their mind and are open to offers. Miami keeps hinting at moving up. Who knows if both are bluffing or not? I'm with you  on Tua though ... if they want him they will probably be able to get him at 5 but in this QB starved league there is no telling who may move up in front of us to get him or another QB.

It's in the Bengals best interest to listen to offers for the #1 pick, but like I said, the opening bid is something like 5 1st rounders. If some franchise offers you that much, it's something to think about but it's still very unlikely.

As far as a team moving up for Tua goes, it's possible but very unlikely. Tua is coming off of a big injury and isn't healthy right now. It's one thing for Miami to take him with their pick, it's quite another for some GM to offer multiple 1st rounders to the Lions for the right to draft the injured player. It's the type of move that gets you fired and forever unemployed in the league if it doesn't work out.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 01:18:22 pm »

I'll keep saying it: Tua being available at 5 is a minor miracle, and the best reasonable outcome given the way this season went.

This seems like a win-win to me: draft Tua at 5 and let him sit for a year.  Either the team makes progress in 2020 or it's another bad season.  If it's REALLY bad you get Lawrence (or trade the pick for a king's ransom); if it's just another top 5 pick then you keep it and build with Tua.

The timing will also line up for Harbaugh to wear out his welcome in Ann Arbor, so Ross can hire the coach he always wanted from the beginning.

Yeah, this wasn't the road I thought we would travel back in August, but somehow we still Tanked for Tua and it looks like it is going to work out. I would absolutely have him sit for a year or at least a lot of games to get to 100% health without question marks as well as see the speed of the league. Fitz can be a great teacher and he knows his role here so it's hard to ask for a better mentor.

Harbaugh wore out his welcome 3 years ago in Michigan, now the school is too afraid to fire him and he won't quit. He only goes to Miami if Flores wins 2 games next year though.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:43:00 pm »

Please let someone jump over us and draft Tua.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 03:40:59 pm »

Please let someone jump over us and draft Tua.

Unlikely but not impossible. The cost would be high for teams picking in the teens, but there is a possibility that the Chargers go from 6 to 4 and it may only cost them a 2nd rounder. Giants aren't taking QB so they would do it as long as they don't feel Miami would take whomever they were going to at 4 as a backup option.

I doubt we take Herbert if we lose out on Tua. Probably just take the best player available at 5.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 07:49:00 am »

Unlikely but not impossible. The cost would be high for teams picking in the teens, but there is a possibility that the Chargers go from 6 to 4 and it may only cost them a 2nd rounder. Giants aren't taking QB so they would do it as long as they don't feel Miami would take whomever they were going to at 4 as a backup option.

I doubt we take Herbert if we lose out on Tua. Probably just take the best player available at 5.
Which will be Simmons from Clemson, and I am more than okay taking him if Tua isn't available.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray