Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:23:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Postseason Now 14 Teams
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Postseason Now 14 Teams  (Read 4891 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 03:12:55 pm »

That's not true at all.

In all of these sports, the team that scores more points wins the game.  So does that mean that we credit the amazing defense of every team that wins, because they held the opponent to fewer points than they scored?  Of course not.  There are teams that win because of strong defensive play, and other teams that win with OK defense and strong offense.

The goaltending isn't the only factor of defense so I still stand  by my point. You are the one who tried saying the better goaltending almost always wins.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »

Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams per conference would result in an even greater number of meaningful late season games.  But for some reason, that's considered crazy.

Honestly, I think that's the next step.   Nobody should get a first round bye. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 10:38:45 am »

Just approved today. Just stupid, half the league doesn't need to be in the playoffs.

I will take the unpopular position of agreeing with you.  I love football as much as anyone, and I'd be fine with adding another regular season game to the schedule.  But I hate it when sports leagues dilute the playoffs by expanding them to allow a lot of teams to make the playoffs. It used to be that making the playoffs in any sport was something to take some pride in, but expanding it to include mediocre teams just kind of defeats the purpose for me.  There is no right or wrong answer to this one.  it is just a matter of opinion. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 10:46:37 am »

Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams per conference would result in an even greater number of meaningful late season games.  But for some reason, that's considered crazy.

Maybe, maybe not.  If teams didn’t view any appreciable advantage to having the 2 seed over the four seed or the 5th seed over the 8 seed you could see more playoff bound teams resting starters during the last week of the season.  In my opinion  the worst possible outcome would be for two playoff bound teams to play week 17 with both resting starters rather than competing for a better playoff seed.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray