Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:26:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  CLOSED: TDMMC Comic Book Movie Madness: Non-Marvel Group 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Select two to advance!
Sin City (2005)   -5 (31.3%)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)   -2 (12.5%)
Batman Begins (2005)   -7 (43.8%)
Aquaman (2018)   -2 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: CLOSED: TDMMC Comic Book Movie Madness: Non-Marvel Group 3  (Read 2376 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: April 01, 2020, 01:09:10 am »

#6 Sin City (2005)

A movie that explores the dark and miserable town, Basin City, and tells the story of three different people, all caught up in violent corruption.

Directors: Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez
Writer: Frank Miller
Stars: Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Bruce Willis

#11 Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

A spy organisation recruits a promising street kid into the agency's training program, while a global threat emerges from a twisted tech genius.

Director: Matthew Vaughn
Writers: Jane Goldman, Matthew Vaughn
Stars: Colin Firth, Taron Egerton, Samuel L. Jackson

#3 Batman Begins (2005)

After training with his mentor, Batman begins his fight to free crime-ridden Gotham City from corruption.

Director: Christopher Nolan
Writers: Bob Kane, David S. Goyer
Stars: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Ken Watanabe

#14 Aquaman (2018)

Arthur Curry, the human-born heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, goes on a quest to prevent a war between the worlds of ocean and land.

Director: James Wan
Writers: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick, Will Beall
Stars: Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe

---

Pick two to advance!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:59:09 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:49 am »

I went with Batman Begins and Sin City on this one.  I have Batman Begins and The Dark Knight ranked a lot closer than many others do, and I found Sin City to be a pretty fresh take with a unique visual style.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:47:07 am »

Sin City and Batman Begins are locks
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:01 am »

I'm not the biggest fan of the Batman movies, but I did like Batman Begins.  Sin City is one of my favorite graphic novels of all time, and every time I see that it is on TV, I end up watching for a bit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:38:57 am »

Batman Begins is a lock.  I also went with Sin City.  It's not a movie that I LOVE, but it's got such a fresh visual take that I had to go with it.  I almost picked Kingsman, but it's chalk here.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 02:53:05 pm »

the fact that we are kicking out Iron Man 2/Civil War/Winter Soldier and keeping 2 of these turds is really disappointing.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 04:55:27 pm »

In point of fact, the ratings for Civil War, Big Hero 6/Winter Soldier, and Batman Begins are separated by 0.15 points (out of 10).  Iron Man 2 is rated more than a full point worse than Batman Begins or Big Hero 6.  edit: oops, confused the brackets.  But Sin City is still rated over half a point better than Iron Man 2.

It will take a huge upset for any of these (or the movies you listed) to even make the Sweet 16.  So I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:48:00 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 06:52:31 pm »

It will take a huge upset for any of these (or the movies you listed) to even make the Sweet 16.  So I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Eh I'm not worked up, but its a matter of opinion.  Ratings are based on expectations to a degree, and made by different groups people.  Unless you got the same focus group to watch every movie, and rank them relative to each other, the numbers are based on a random sampling of people but skewed towards fans of that franchise. 

As a Marvel fan, very few comic movies are going to be able to out-perform most MCU entries for me, across the board
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 08:42:31 pm »

Obviously, everyone has their own favorites.

But I can tell you this: if we had eliminated categories and seeded solely by rating, only one of the four #1 seeds would have been an MCU movie.  And that movie would not have been #1 overall.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 01:14:25 pm »

Marvel movies are always good, but I feel that they kinda have a ceiling.  They are mostly cut from the same cloth.

This is just personal, but I'd take Batman Begins over almost any of the Marvel stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:37 am »

I think MCU movies are going to consistently give you the 3-star, B to B+ experience, every time you walk in the theater.

On one hand, that's great!  You're always going to get your money's worth.  But on the other, it's unlikely that you'll get an outstanding A+ film that sticks in your memory.  It's good film after good film after good film, as opposed to the other studios which will give you a lot of stinkers, but the occasional masterpiece.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 09:29:09 am »

I think MCU movies are going to consistently give you the 3-star, B to B+ experience, every time you walk in the theater.

On one hand, that's great!  You're always going to get your money's worth.  But on the other, it's unlikely that you'll get an outstanding A+ film that sticks in your memory.  It's good film after good film after good film, as opposed to the other studios which will give you a lot of stinkers, but the occasional masterpiece.

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  I never dislike Marvel films.  But I forget a lot of them and revisit almost none of them.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 11:19:17 am »

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  I never dislike Marvel films.  But I forget a lot of them and revisit almost none of them.
I'm complete opposite.  I rewatch a lot of them, they are entertaining, and I'd argue that at least 1 or 2 of them would qualify as "masterpiece" for me. 

But Dave and I have always seemed to be diametrically opposed when it comes to movies. Wink
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 11:37:51 am »

There are a few masterpieces in the MCU, but they are drowned out by the B+s.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:30 am »

There are Marvel films that I think are really good, but for some reason, they have low rewatchability to me.  I really liked Black Panther, particularly the complexity of the villain, but I don't really have an interest in watching it again.

I think that the action in the MCU is a little floaty and CG for my taste.  I don't find any of the action sequences particularly compelling.  By far my favorite part of the MCU is the banter, and the movies that I watch over again, those are the parts I like.  RDJ riffing with Ruffalo and science, for example, in the Avengers.  I like that stuff.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray