Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:15:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Major "hate speech" bans across multiple social media sites
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Major "hate speech" bans across multiple social media sites  (Read 7181 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 07:54:20 am »

I look at that statement from Aaron Swartz the same way I would look at it if it were coming from Mark Zuckerberg:

Terrible comparison.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 09:00:56 am »

you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy .. mixed with gifs of cute puppies

That almost makes me want to check it out.  Almost.   Wink
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 09:34:45 am »

Reddit isn't that bad unless you go to the seedy subreddits.  4chan is much worse.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:48 am »

Reddit isn't that bad unless you go to the seedy subreddits.  4chan is much worse.

4Chan should be a message board for fans of Jackie Chan...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 02:38:09 pm »

I really wouldn't know a Reddit if one crawled out my ass and speed-bagged my nutsack. Never used or even visited...not much interest in adding more social media crap to my world. Wink

I tried SnapTik recently but it was too weird.  I'm back on Faceplace now. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:35 pm »

Terrible comparison.
I think it's perfectly fair.  First off, let's keep in mind that there have been huge shifts in perception among our society over the last 6 months, to say nothing of 13 years ago... so I'm not even convinced that Swartz would feel the same way today.  (Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian, reddit's other two co-founders, clearly feel differently today than they did even a year ago.)

However, on the subject of Zuckerberg, it's pretty easy for him to be in favor of unfettered free speech when he is taking ad money from right-wing groups... yet when it comes to him selling a workplace chat program to employers, suddenly he's in favor of allowing employers to blacklist words like "unionize".

Enabling free speech is great when it generates revenue.  And restricting speech is also great when it generates revenue!  Win-win.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 10:54:53 am »

I tried SnapTik recently but it was too weird.  I'm back on Faceplace now. 

"I don't MyFace."- Bill Belichick 2011

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 11:17:31 am »

Never used or even visited...not much interest in adding more social media crap to my world. Wink
You could always drop some of your current social media crap in favor of Reddit. Smiley

I find Twitter to be a useless circle jerk whereas you do get actual real opinions on Reddit even if you disagree with many of them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:21:33 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 11:22:26 am »

You could always drop some of your current social media crap in favor of Reddit.  Smiley

The entirety of my social media experience...about 10-15 minutes a day on Facebook, mainly just to keep up with my family out West.

I don't use Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, TikTok, KnockKnock or any of the other new ones that have popped up recently.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 11:24:49 am »

The entirety of my social media experience...about 10-15 minutes a day on Facebook, mainly just to keep up with my family out West.

I don't use Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, TikTok, KnockKnock or any of the other new ones that have popped up recently.
I had to google KnockKnock to see if that was a real thing. I thought you made that up. LOL
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:28:38 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:44 pm »

I had to google KnockKnock to see if that was a real thing. I thought you made that up. LOL

I did make it up...I just thought it went well with TikTok. Wink

Wait...is there really a KnockKnock out there? Now we both get to Google...

~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »

I did make it up...I just thought it went well with TikTok. Wink

Wait...is there really a KnockKnock out there? Now we both get to Google...
It's on Pinterest.

https://www.pinterest.com/knockknock/

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2020, 02:39:34 pm »

I don't really have a reason to say that Reddit isn't social media...I guess that it is.

It just doesn't feel anything like Twitter or Facebook.  It's more of a news aggregator with a comments section, for most of the stuff I see on it.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:02 pm »

This website is social media.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 05:17:57 pm »

This website is social media.

reddit is social media in the same way this forum is social media .. Reddit is just a forum squared .. (or cubed)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray