Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:07:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  How would you handle the 2020 school year if you were in charge?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How would you handle the 2020 school year if you were in charge?  (Read 1708 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:07:12 am »

This is such a complicated situation.  I come from a family of teacher: both of my parents and my wife.  They taught at every level from elementary to graduate school.  It's what I grew up on.

I don't see how it's possible to just reopen with full classes.  I literally can't see how it will work.  So, there will have to be some kind of solution.  What would you do?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:39:26 pm »

It's not a nuts and bolts answer, but you do whatever you need to do to keep the children as safe as possible.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »

This is a stumper. Classrooms aren't big enough to fit all the students and many of the kids aren't going to do the work online. School systems can't afford the trailers and additional teachers needed for social distancing. Creating new private schools with smaller classes is a nightmare scenario. The only option I see is online with set hours and technology that  can monitor log in/log out, inactivity, etc. to keep the kids honest in real time..ix that with kids in class at a reduced size and that is the best option I have.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »

There is less than a flaming chance in hell that we'll send our kid into a school before there's a widespread vaccine.

Online schooling is preferred, through the school district ideally .. if that's not available becuase of ron defuckface then we'll look into alternatives.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:02:09 pm »

Think about the busses also.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:03:20 pm »

I think that the real issue here isn't about education at all -- it's about daycare.

My leading plan is this:  All school is virtual, for limited hours daily.  All teaching is done through the Internet or public access TV.  Parents are encouraged to keep their kids at home.  But when working makes that impossible, school (K-8) essentially works as a daycare.  Spread elementary and middle school out and use high schools for extra space.  Limit class sizes as much as possible.  Continue lunch and busing like you were, but hopefully for fewer kids, since a lot of kids will end up staying home.

You gotta provide students with take-home laptops.  If they don't have access to Internet or whatever, you could either try to provide that through funding, tax-credit, or else the kid will have to be there in person...or home-school.

Colleges can be virtual (unless they can ensure social distancing and all that).  Pass a bill to extend whatever immigration issues arise from that for a year...then revisit.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 12:05:40 pm »

Split sessions could get the job done.  That would cut class sizes in half and enable teachers to spread desks out 6 feet apart.  All school staff and students must wear masks and between the morning and afternoon sessions, school janitorial staff must come and sanitize all the desks as they will be used by other students

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 12:26:01 pm »

I just don't think that schools in States with a significant amount of active cases can happen.  ...at all.

At it really comes down to people getting sick.  Even with social distancing and masks and all that, it will spread some.  What do you do when a teacher gets sick?  You can't send these old substitutes in there.  You can't really have a teacher stay home for two weeks.  You are supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks if you've been in known contact with a case, so those kids are going to have to be home?

It just seems like it's not doable in any situation, unless you're in a county where there isn't an outbreak.  But in population centers?  I just don't see how it's possible.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:40:37 pm »

Virtual Reality classrooms.  Boom.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:41:46 am »

Saw a meme I liked...."If your school committee is meeting remotely to discuss bring the kids into the school than this might not be the right time to send your child to school"

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray