Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Giannis Signs Max 5 Year Deal with Bucks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Giannis Signs Max 5 Year Deal with Bucks  (Read 2527 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 15, 2020, 01:36:18 pm »

As a Knicks fan, I just have to laugh. We have become so toxic that we can't even get interviews with free agents who are worth a damn. If there was no salary cap, we probably could offer $65 Million a year and still no one would sign here.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 04:05:05 pm »

My question is, where are they gonna get the money to pay this guy if fans aren't allowed at the games?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »

My question is, where are they gonna get the money to pay this guy if fans aren't allowed at the games?

TV contracts are the biggest source of income for NBA teams. Most sports teams, actually.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 06:08:35 pm »

Redditors seemed to think he was coming to Miami.

He's one of the best players in the league -- would've been cool, but he needs something more in the sauce there in Milwaukee...not sure what, but they can't seem to keep it together in the playoffs.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:23:22 am »

Redditors seemed to think he was coming to Miami.

He's one of the best players in the league -- would've been cool, but he needs something more in the sauce there in Milwaukee...not sure what, but they can't seem to keep it together in the playoffs.

Milwaukee can offer him the most money and it would've been a year until free agency. He isn't a poor person but $235 Million is a lot to walk away from, never know if you tear an ACL and it's all over.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »

Name the last NBA player that walked in free agency and ended up regretting it because his old team was better than his new team.

I understand money is money, but it seems like if you want to win and you aren't already winning, you should definitely leave the team you're on.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 09:54:14 am »

Name the last NBA player that walked in free agency and ended up regretting it because his old team was better than his new team.

This happens all the time, this year it happened to Gordon Hayward. who left the celtics and is now with the hornets.

and it happens with each and every free agent signing of the new york knicks
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 10:21:04 am »

This happens all the time, this year it happened to Gordon Hayward. who left the celtics and is now with the hornets.

Hayward left because Michael Jordan is the anti-Michael Jordan of NBA execs and overpaid him hysterically. The comment about the Knicks is sadly accurate. I have no idea what will turn that franchise around.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:28:36 pm »

I thought this as well until I heard an interview with the GM of Golden State.  He was very candid and said they are taking a bath.  He said they are very fortunate to have a good owner who wants to win, and has the ability to take toss a loss while they lose money.  He said without fans in the stands the entire league won't break even, even with the TV money. 

I still think TV contracts are the biggest source of income, but that probably isn't enough if you have a full payroll and no fans. No fans doesn't just mean no ticket money, it means much fewer merchandise sales and overpriced popcorn sales and overpriced parking money. So, this isn't very sustainable if it goes on for another full season.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 01:27:32 am »

Hayward left the Celtics (who didn't win and are not likely to anytime soon) for a notably worse team that was willing to pay him substantially more money.  When a role player/third-banana leaves a good team for a bigger contract, that is a completely different scenario than what I'm talking about; I'm talking about a superstar/franchise player leaving a legitimate-but-flawed contender to sign with a better team for less money.

People don't sign with the Knicks because they want to win.  They sign because they want the biggest payout they can get, and the Knicks are desperate enough to overpay for mediocre players.

So, to add slightly more detail to my question: when's the last time a player decided to take less money to sign with a better team and ended up regretting it because his old team was better than the new one?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:29:23 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:19 am »

Hayward left the Celtics (who didn't win and are not likely to anytime soon) for a notably worse team that was willing to pay him substantially more money.  When a role player/third-banana leaves a good team for a bigger contract, that is a completely different scenario than what I'm talking about; I'm talking about a superstar/franchise player leaving a legitimate-but-flawed contender to sign with a better team for less money.
People don't sign with the Knicks because they want to win.  They sign because they want the biggest payout they can get, and the Knicks are desperate enough to overpay for mediocre players.

So, to add slightly more detail to my question: when's the last time a player decided to take less money to sign with a better team and ended up regretting it because his old team was better than the new one?

kawai with the clippers ? toronto was a better team last year even without him

dwade with chicago ?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 02:24:31 pm »

Both of those players weren't chasing a title, though.  They had already won, and they were leaving to play in their hometown.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 08:09:41 pm »

Both of those players weren't chasing a title, though.  They had already won, and they were leaving to play in their hometown.

I don't know what to tell you then .. when you stop moving those goalposts let me know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 03:57:09 pm »

My original statement:

First you said Gordon Hayward, who doesn't regret it because he left for more money.

Then you said Kawhi, who doesn't regret it because he wanted to play in his hometown, and Wade, who doesn't regret it because the Heat were not willing to pay him as much money as his hometown team (it is notable that Wade was actually pretty upset with the Heat's lowball offers).

No goalpost moving necessary.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray