Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:35:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Phillip Rivers retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Phillip Rivers retiring  (Read 1592 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:05:53 am »

HOF career or not?
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:14:33 am »

5th all time in passing yards and TDs. Certainly not the greatest of all time but he was very good for a very long time so he will get in.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:26:50 am »

Yeah, I think so.

Probably the best QB in the history of the Chargers.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:05:32 am »

Yeah, I think so.

Probably the best QB in the history of the Chargers.
I think a lot of people, including myself, would argue Dan Fouts as being the best QB in San Diego but Rivers is not far behind. Rivers has been a very good QB for a very long time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 11:16:07 am »

I think a lot of people, including myself, would argue Dan Fouts as being the best QB in San Diego but Rivers is not far behind. Rivers has been a very good QB for a very long time.

Fouts is before my time.  It's hard to rate these guys across eras unless you were in it.

I just think that there was an entire era of football where Rivers was a top 5 guy....for like 10 years.  He was consistent, a pro bowler, made the playoffs a lot, etc.  And he has the stats to back it up.  Also, I think that being on one team the majority of your career helps.

I drink your milkshake!
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:08:05 pm »

It's a tough call between Fouts and Rivers as to who was the greatest QB of all time for San Diego.  But they rank up there with Marino and Kelly as great QBs who never won a ring.

Marino's chances were blown by the team having a shitty defense and no running game for most of his career.  Rivers' chances were blown by shitty coaching and play calls.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:42:01 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 02:13:29 pm »

I remember Rivers in college. Dude was a Seminole killer.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:22 pm »

Big Failure.  He was surrounded by so much talent and never did anything with it.

He had a clear shot at a Super Bowl in 2006, but choked it away.  He fumbled a punt in the second half.  Then, he fumbled an interception return.  Then, he missed the game tying field goal.

Wait, sorry, I forgot to take off my mainstream media goggles...…..

Great career, model of consistency. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 10:26:08 pm »

Yep, I'm one of those. Fouts was the best QB the Chargers had, and I think he was actually a fair bit better than Rivers. Again that's considering it was a different time, different rules, and different talent.

As far as best QBs never to have won a Superbowl, I'd rate him behind Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Ken Anderson, maybe even Randall Cunningham.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 11:50:34 pm »

Dan Marino played 17 seasons and threw 420 TD passes.

Rivers played 16 seasons and threw 421.  (He was drafted in 2004, but saw almost no playing time that year, as Brees turned his career around and led SD to the playoffs that season)

I think that says something about the eras they played in.  I don't think most people would rank Rivers ahead of Marino on the all-time quarterback list

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray